RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Archive (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   You can't have it! (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=1716)

kato13 01-21-2010 11:24 PM

You can't have it!

pmulcahy 08-24-2005, 05:18 PM What sort of items or materials do you think would be totally, completely, absolutely (or nearly so) unobtainable in the Twilight 2000 world? (And I don't mean fantasy or total science fiction items.)

graebardeII 08-24-2005, 05:54 PM That depends on when and where in the Twilight world, cuz as soon as I say one thing, there would be a guy that had it, of course I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anyways, and probably not need it either.

My short list of hard to find or nonavailable goods would include:

toilet paper ( a luxury item for sure)

modern medicines (shelf life can make med dangerous to take or impotent)

DeaconR 08-25-2005, 01:46 AM Mostly very refined manufactured goods. For instance, finding someone who can fix a broken hardrive should be the course of an entire mini-adventure. Anything involving satellite technology.

TR 08-28-2005, 09:52 AM Although a lot of these would be unobtainable I often have wondered what items might be remanufactuered using the available technology at hand... I mean we don't need 1997 technology to make some of these items, surely if we scaled back the technology involved we might be able to make low tech versions... instead of the hubble telescope we get sputnik, etc.

Anyone doubting it's possibile should reflect on all these stories we've seen over the past few years of high school and college students making low tech items with minimial budgets and facilities... The questions obviously is would Civgov or Milgov invest in these risky projects lead by relative unknowns, or would they turn them down and have them work on windmills and solar pannels?

Just something else to consider.

Chuck Mandus 08-28-2005, 05:14 PM Although a lot of these would be unobtainable I often have wondered what items might be remanufactuered using the available technology at hand... I mean we don't need 1997 technology to make some of these items, surely if we scaled back the technology involved we might be able to make low tech versions... instead of the hubble telescope we get sputnik, etc.

Anyone doubting it's possibile should reflect on all these stories we've seen over the past few years of high school and college students making low tech items with minimial budgets and facilities... The questions obviously is would Civgov or Milgov invest in these risky projects lead by relative unknowns, or would they turn them down and have them work on windmills and solar pannels?

Just something else to consider.

Well, being an amateur radio operator that I am, on the radio side, you might have a return to vacuum tubes or maybe descreet transistor components for a while. It's like some radio stations might keep a backup transmitter that was made like in the 1930's to the 1950's and if the newer transmitter is fried for some reason, they'll bring the backup online. You might see steam locomotives being dragged out from museums as well as steam engines and so on.

Chuck

DE KA3WRW

Antenna 08-28-2005, 07:16 PM Any Munchkin request is a journey into the land where GM says NO all the time =)

Antenna