RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Modified Vehicles in T2K (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=467)

Raellus 01-01-2009 01:45 PM

Modified Vehicles in T2K

A photo Mohoender posted in the Using Captured Vehicles thread inspired me to start a thread for modified vehicles one might find in the T2K world.

What modified vehicles exist in your T2K world or campaign? These could be factory mods or field mods. It's always nice to spice up a game with some odd, one-off vehicles or systems that don't exist in our current timeline.

I'm thinking along the lines of ChalkLine's upgunned Jagdpanzer Kanone (JPZ 4-5) with a 105 or 120mm gun (AT mode) or an Soviet-made (formerly property of the DDR) 122mm gun-howitzer (assault gun mode) in place of the original 90mm AT gun.

chico20854 01-01-2009 06:31 PM

Well, the thread on Gun Trucks touches a bit on the myriad options for armored gun-trucks. There may also be extensive use of unarmored "technicals".

The Israeli's were leaders in upgrading captured Soviet vehicles - replacing engines with more reliable/fuel efficient Western ones, putting Western fire-control and vision systems in, and replacing weapons to NATO standard, such as swapping in a NATO-standard 105mm gun for the 100mm mounted in a T-55.

Another long tradition for modifying vehicles is to take obsolete tank chassis and convert them to heavy APCs by removing the turret, or converting them to SP AT guns (WWII-era Marder) or artillery (WWII-era Wespe, post-war D-30s on T-34 chassis used by Egypt). I guess you could also mount a heavy ATGM or large mortar (4.2" or 120mm) in a de-turreted tank chassis.

Finally, various manufacturers proposed different turrets for a variety of hulls, with the M-113 series probably being the most prolific. Off the top of my head, the Australian Army mounted Saladin armored car turrets, the Danish Army has a different turret and there are probably 50 more variants, including the fantasy M-115A1 variant in the v1 US Army Vehicle Guide, mounting the LAV-25 turret.

In 2000, vehicle modifications could take any number of forms, based on the technical skill, desperation and material status of any particular group. The only reason I could see for pulling a tank turret off by that point in the war is if its visibly damaged and unable to be repaired - even if out of ammo it can still be used to intimidate!

rcaf_777 01-01-2009 08:01 PM

I would suggest you read the equipment in China Thread for upgrades to the T-55

Mohoender 01-02-2009 10:03 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Nice Raellus. As, like Kato (according to himself), I'm always in some kind of equipment frenzy, I put up some of the interesting modifications I found over time.

One of the widely modified vehicle is, of course, the M113 and many exemples are found in the lebanese army: M113-ZU23, up armored M113-ZU-23, M113-ZPU2 and M113-ZPU4 (sorry about the bad picture).

Mohoender 01-02-2009 10:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another modern modification that could have come out from WWII.

Mohoender 01-02-2009 10:34 AM

4 Attachment(s)
The other two modified vehicles I found are interesting also.

The MT-LB with the ZU-23 is a Georgian vehicle but similar vehicles were used by Iraq under Saddam.

The last one is on display in Israel and it is a modified T-34 by the Egyptian. Of course, you won't find it in T2K but it might give an idea of what further field modifications might be. In my opinion, every local warlord will try to give mobility to whatever gun they have. As a result, modification would be limited only by imagination. After all, the most striking modification to these days (in my opinion of course) remain that of the AC-130 Specter, an idea which came from the AC-47 during vietnam.

Marc 01-02-2009 04:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohoender
Here is another modern modification that could have come out from WWII.

This time it's not from WWII, Mo. I's a light 4x4 Pegaso truck (made in Spain). I'm not sure about the exact type. The "Ejército de Tierra" (the spanish ground forces) is selling the retired Pegaso trucks to the general public. Everybody can purchase one of them since 4.000 Euros (aprox.).

Attachment 139

Mohoender 01-02-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc
This time it's not from WWII, Mo. I's a light 4x4 Pegaso truck (made in Spain). I'm not sure about the exact type. The "Ejército de Tierra" (the spanish ground forces) is selling the retired Pegaso trucks to the general public. Everybody can purchase one of them since 4.000 Euros (aprox.).

Attachment 139

Bad way of saying things on my part, sorry.:o I just meant it looked like some WWII modification, not that it was one. I identified the Pegaso from the cabin (also I had never seen the 4x4 version but I never looked for it) with a ZU-23 mounted on it. In the original comment, it was given as a ZPU-2 but I'm not convinced (also I might be wrong).

Marc 01-03-2009 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohoender
Bad way of saying things on my part, sorry.:o I just meant it looked like some WWII modification, not that it was one. I identified the Pegaso from the cabin (also I had never seen the 4x4 version but I never looked for it) with a ZU-23 mounted on it. In the original comment, it was given as a ZPU-2 but I'm not convinced (also I might be wrong).

Bona nit!

I think you have reason about the ZU-23. Probably Stackmouse would be able to confirm that point.