RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Making T2K food acceptable (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2580)

General Pain 12-01-2010 05:35 AM

Making T2K food acceptable

how......?

...spices offcourse...

www.theepicentre.com/Spices/spiceref.html

nice little site explaingin spices

Legbreaker 12-01-2010 06:04 AM

Does burning it to an unidentifiable crisp count?

mikeo80 12-01-2010 06:11 AM

Spice trade

I would think that a vibrant trade in various spices would set up in post nuke T2K. Just here in the USA, salt coming from La., what ever spare spices that people can grow in backyard gardens, all would be part of the underground economy that would arise.

Pepper, corriander, sage, saffron and other oriental and indian spices would disappear. Salt would become one of the major commodities. Preserving meat, helpling to tan hides, and other uses. By the Civil War, the US was producing over 225,000 tons of salt from boiling brine alone. Solar distillation, mining, and other production means were also used.

Edit
Removed Link at the request of the website owner. Google accused them of spam links.
kato

Webstral 12-02-2010 04:55 PM

We should take all considerations of spices in context. Simply getting enough to eat is going to be a major consideration for most of the survivors. Of course, in some areas the survivors might have the luxury of considering spices. The spices most commonly used probably would be those which could be gathered, rather than grown.

Webstral

mikeo80 12-02-2010 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Webstral (Post 27934)
We should take all considerations of spices in context. Simply getting enough to eat is going to be a major consideration for most of the survivors. Of course, in some areas the survivors might have the luxury of considering spices. The spices most commonly used probably would be those which could be gathered, rather than grown.

Webstral

Agreed. Wild onion is found almost everywhere. Sage is prevelant in the South and Southwest. berries of different types add a nice "spice" to many foods. Wild Honey, fruit, etc can all add necessary vitamins, minerals, and hey, they taste good too!!!

Salt, though, will probably be the first to develop any kind of trade. It has so many uses, relatively portable, low tech extraction from nature. All of these would lead (IMHO) to a salt trade. And I think sooner rather than later.

Mike

pmulcahy11b 12-02-2010 06:55 PM

Pickling would probably also become much more common, to help preserve food longer.

Gamer 12-02-2010 08:10 PM

What makes post apocalyptic food acceptable?
Hunger, I doubt im all by myself in saying that in the field and you've been famished beyond levels of sanity that is enough by itself. :)

HorseSoldier 12-02-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo80 (Post 27881)
Pepper, corriander, sage, saffron and other oriental and indian spices would disappear.

Any herb or spice that can be cultivated by a backyard gardener would likely remain on the menu, since they're likely to already be cultivated locally in most environments anyway. Cinnamon would likely be a memory most place, but coriander/cilantro and sage would be unlikely to disappear. In a lot of temperate parts of the world where common herbs are not native, they'd likely become pretty well established invasive species if human cultivation ceased (in some cases they already are).

helbent4 12-03-2010 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HorseSoldier (Post 27946)
Any herb or spice that can be cultivated by a backyard gardener would likely remain on the menu, since they're likely to already be cultivated locally in most environments anyway. Cinnamon would likely be a memory most place, but coriander/cilantro and sage would be unlikely to disappear. In a lot of temperate parts of the world where common herbs are not native, they'd likely become pretty well established invasive species if human cultivation ceased (in some cases they already are).

HS,

For that matter, almost anything could be grown in a greenhouse.

On one hand it's a reasonable assumption that most agriculture would be subsistence in nature. On the other, where there's a clear financial incentive (and there would be) then people will find a way to supply it. If there is excess agricultural capacity then you'd see at least small amounts of luxury crops grown from tobacco to coffee and so on, even if only in greenhouses.

Tony

Trooper 12-03-2010 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo80 (Post 27938)
Salt, though, will probably be the first to develop any kind of trade. It has so many uses, relatively portable, low tech extraction from nature. All of these would lead (IMHO) to a salt trade. And I think sooner rather than later.

Only a hundred years ago, salt was an important material which was needed in large quantities. Salt gives taste to foods, but it is also needed for food preservation.

I just started a campaign with new players. We have played a couple of times and the initial plan was Escape from Kalisz, The Black Madonna and then players are likely to go Krakow (with or without icon). I have designed a complete soviet POV camp located in Wielczkan salt mine. If the camp dwellers are liberated- Krakow Ormo will try to get control of the mine. (Krakow is not doing well without the salt.) At this stage, players need more than just military skills.

It all depends on how well they play their cards. If all goes well, they can sell the mine to Bohusz-Szysko and players may lead an entire battalion, equipped with guns obtained from Krakow's armory. It is also possible that the players are forced to flee to the south. Penniless and without equipment.:rolleyes:

mikeo80 12-03-2010 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gamer (Post 27943)
What makes post apocalyptic food acceptable?
Hunger, I doubt im all by myself in saying that in the field and you've been famished beyond levels of sanity that is enough by itself. :)

That goes without saying. If you and your family are hungry, ANYTHING is fair game.

I am looking at this as a non-starvation discussion. There is enough for the table today and tomorrow. As the greedy animals we humans are, we want that food to be a little bit better.

Also, I just got lucky. I managed to bring down a 100+ lb deer. Now I want to make sure that that meat stays eatable. Smoking, of course, is an obvious answer. Salting, jerking, pickling, brining, all have their place at the table. (Pardon the PUN!!)

pmulcahy11b 12-03-2010 07:06 AM

Wasn't there a module where the little kids are put to work catching rats for food?

Targan 12-03-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 27961)
Wasn't there a module where the little kids are put to work catching rats for food?

Are you sure you're not thinking of Armies of the Night, where the rats are catching little kids for food :)

dragoon500ly 12-03-2010 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 27962)
Are you sure you're not thinking of Armies of the Night, where the rats are catching little kids for food :)

Funny, I thought the rats practiced on the kids and dined out on the adults..;)

pmulcahy11b 12-03-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoon500ly (Post 27965)
Funny, I thought the rats practiced on the kids and dined out on the adults..;)

I think the kids were supposed to hunt the rats, but found out that the rats were armed with assault rifles...

mikeo80 12-03-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 27967)
I think the kids were supposed to hunt the rats, but found out that the rats were armed with assault rifles...

Now that's a bad ass rat if he/she/it can use an assault rifle.

M16? M4? AK-47?

Just curious

'cause if I see a rat with an assault rifle, I am calling in a tac air strike...NOW!!!!!!!!!

Mike

WallShadow 12-03-2010 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 27961)

I do believe it is AoTN.

I was also struck by the description in the narrative about the flocks of startled pigeons fleeing the large broken windows of buildings . I figured a large net or two draped quietly over the openings, plus a home-made firecracker should bag enough sidewalk squab for eating, putting up as smoked meat in your larder, and trading off on the local market. I bet rats might be corralled and harvested in a similar way.
--Every food store, convenience store, dollar store, and drug store carries some form of spice. After 2 years the ground stuff might be a little stale or flat, but the solid spice (peppercorns, celery seed, cinnamon sticks, whole nutmegs, etc) would be in somewhat better condition.
--I wonder if the adventurers and crew of the USS Constitution replica in the Caribbean would think of hauling various spices, peppers, fruit, and coffee(!) northward to sell at extortionate prices.
--How long before people would start to raid the ice-melt section of the department and DIY stores for halite/rocksalt to use in preserving and cooking?

Bullet Magnet 12-03-2010 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 27967)

Rats with assault rifles? Sounds a bit more like Gamma World than Twilight 2000 there. ;)

pmulcahy11b 12-04-2010 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bullet Magnet (Post 27975)
Rats with assault rifles? Sounds a bit more like Gamma World than Twilight 2000 there. ;)

More like Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. How about mutated rats as a Twilight Nightmare?

Trooper 12-04-2010 02:57 PM

How to Live on the Street?

http://www.donrearic.com/homeless.htm

Haute cuisine 2001…

Mice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tU4v4VQ0ahU

Leech: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9aB4aJKrcc

Human flesh: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=15wqa...6D1DE8&index=6