RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   South Africa (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=944)

kato13 07-01-2009 02:32 AM

South Africa

Extending the V1 time line does Apartheid survive (at least until the nukes)? With the continued cold war I would not expect nearly as much pressure on South Africa to reform coming from the west.

Targan 07-01-2009 02:49 AM

Good point. I actually had to think about this in my campaign because there is a South African helicopter pilot in Major Po's unit. I decided that Apartheid had continued in South Africa and that caused a bit of tension between the South African NPC and some of the African-American members of Po's team.

Rainbow Six 07-01-2009 03:21 AM

I think that the fall of communism in Europe was one of the major catalysts for the whole collapse of apartheid (I remember reading quite a bit about this in a book about the 1995 Rugby World Cup final of all things), so if you follow the V1 Timeline I think it's highly likely that apartheid would survive, at least until the nukes started coming down, at which point a break up of South Africa similar to that described in Larry Bond's "Vortex" is probably quite likely.

General Pain 07-01-2009 04:07 AM

The South African Situation

If a GM desides to continue (or expand) Apartheid, I'd guess trade and weapon embargos would follow to pressure the SA government to change their "act". In the meanwhile South-Africa would continue producing their own weapons since noone would sell them anything (allmost noone atleast)

This could prove good for adventures in T2K and Merc.IMHO.
There are some South African wepons described in the big book of war.

Targan 07-01-2009 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Pain
If a GM desides to continue (or expand) Apartheid, I'd guess trade and weapon embargos would follow to pressure the SA government to change their "act". In the meanwhile South-Africa would continue producing their own weapons since noone would sell them anything (allmost noone atleast).

They'd still have Israel.

Fusilier 07-01-2009 04:30 AM

I've always gone the route of Hackett's WW3 book. NATO doesn't have a lot of allies in the way of that part of the world, as there are quite a few Soviet bases. Keeping SA propped up keeps a major shipping route open.

Grimace 07-01-2009 06:02 PM

I always like the idea of what went on in the book "Vortex" by Larry Bond for events that transpire in and around South Africa. I could see things like that taking place in Twilight: 2000.

Adm.Lee 07-01-2009 07:59 PM

From what I can recall, in 2300, South Africa has become the French ally Azania. I think the Boers have disappeared by then.

Azania is important because it's the primary (or sole?) source of the tantalum used in stutterwarp drives, thus it becomes a prime ally of the French Empire.