RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   OT - RIP Arne Næss (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=512)

General Pain 01-13-2009 07:02 AM

OT - RIP Arne Næss

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arne_N%C3%A6ss

pmulcahy11b 01-13-2009 08:22 AM

I have a problem with extreme peace movement such as Gandhi's and many of the "Green Parties" in general. Well, maybe not a problem --they're composed of good, well-intentioned people I'd probably like -- but I think they're generally unrealistic. The human species is basically a great ape with an enlarged brain, and we still have a lot of our primitive instincts, such as territoriality, aggression, extreme competitiveness -- our instincts have yet to catch up with our brainpower in the evolution game.

Robert Heinlein once said that if we do finally make our way out into the stars and become a part of an interstellar community, Earth's greatest export will probably be mercenaries.

headquarters 01-14-2009 03:48 AM

yeah but..

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I have a problem with extreme peace movement such as Gandhi's and many of the "Green Parties" in general. Well, maybe not a problem --they're composed of good, well-intentioned people I'd probably like -- but I think they're generally unrealistic. The human species is basically a great ape with an enlarged brain, and we still have a lot of our primitive instincts, such as territoriality, aggression, extreme competitiveness -- our instincts have yet to catch up with our brainpower in the evolution game.

Robert Heinlein once said that if we do finally make our way out into the stars and become a part of an interstellar community, Earth's greatest export will probably be mercenaries.

I guess there are nuances to our destructive behaviour - compassion , selflessness

good sides too..

FMDeCorba 02-10-2009 11:20 AM

The human species is basically a great ape with an enlarged brain, and we still have a lot of our primitive instincts, such as territoriality, aggression, extreme competitiveness -- our instincts have yet to catch up with our brainpower in the evolution game.

Yes and no.
Unfortunately, people tend to forget that stuff like compassion and a capacity for moral behaviour also have stood the prolonged test of evolution, and for good reason, since we are social animals and have always relied on cooperation for survival.

Mohoender 02-11-2009 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FMDeCorba
Yes and no.
Unfortunately, people tend to forget that stuff like compassion and a capacity for moral behaviour also have stood the prolonged test of evolution, and for good reason, since we are social animals and have always relied on cooperation for survival.

True, true. The apes with the smallest brains rely on brutal force to enslave those with compassion thus getting their cooperation while justifying their position through the chanel of a righteous moral behaviour.:D;)

FMDeCorba 02-11-2009 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohoender
True, true. The apes with the smallest brains rely on brutal force to enslave those with compassion thus getting their cooperation while justifying their position through the chanel of a righteous moral behaviour.:D;)

Ha ha ha! Actually, every single human being is the pinnacle of a long evolutionary chain, stupid and brutal or smart and compassionate. Perhaps the absolutely most successful genes balances brains and brawn? The gem of nature is Joe average:D

headquarters 02-11-2009 01:47 PM

lol

I knew it ! I am precious !

Quote:

Ha ha ha! Actually, every single human being is the pinnacle of a long evolutionary chain, stupid and brutal or smart and compassionate. Perhaps the absolutely most successful genes balances brains and brawn? The gem of nature is Joe average:D

FMDeCorba 02-12-2009 05:30 AM

You my friend, is not average. Many things in your life may seem average and quaint, but your intellectual capacity is definitely above average.

headquarters 02-12-2009 05:33 AM

hehe

I know this of course - I was just playing the false modesty card .

I am a genius !..or are I ?

see you tomorrow!

Quote:

You my friend, is not average. Many things in your life may seem average and quaint, but your intellectual capacity is definitely above average.

FMDeCorba 02-12-2009 05:40 AM

Or am I being arrogant for claiming to recognize what is above average??
No, I know that, but I doubt we´re true geniuses though:)

headquarters 02-12-2009 05:58 AM

rest assured

I read somewhere that 75% of the worlds population think they are smarter than the "other 75% " of the people ..

And no , you were quite right to recognize my abilities .

anyways .

how about that Arne Næss.

Quote:

Or am I being arrogant for claiming to recognize what is above average??
No, I know that, but I doubt we´re true geniuses though:)

FMDeCorba 02-12-2009 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headquarters
I read somewhere that 75% of the worlds population think they are smarter than the "other 75% " of the people ..

how about that Arne Næss.

Well, Arne Næss was undoubtedly above average, and according to the authors of the controversial "Bell curve" that makes it probable that he was morally a better person too. Just to completely deroute immediately after bringing up ol´Arnie again:)

FMDeCorba 02-12-2009 06:11 AM

COMPletely OT, but nonetheless:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/s...3272%2C00.html