RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   NPC: Damian the River Pimp (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2979)

Raellus 07-27-2011 11:53 PM

NPC: Damian the River Pimp

2 Attachment(s)
Inspired by some of the recent NPC encounter threads (all great stuff, BTW), I whipped up a formal profile for a rather colorful character that popped up in my Pirates of the Vistula PbP campaign a few years back. I probably went a little overboard with the details (I'm still worried that I forgot something), but this NPC/encounter provides several options for side-missions and could be easily modified for almost any post-apocalyptic campaign.

Due to file size limitations, I had to split the write-up into two parts. The really juicy stuff is in the second part. I tried to keep the whole thing as close to PG-13 as possible.

Constructive feedback is welcome.

Feel free to use this in your own campaigns. If, however, if you repost any of it, please give the original author (me) due credit. Thanks and enjoy.

simonmark6 07-28-2011 02:17 AM

Yes!

I've been looking forward to this one since these articles first started, thanks for sharing such a memorable character with us, Rae.

Rainbow Six 07-28-2011 05:05 AM

Rae, well done - this is a brilliant piece of work. Thanks for sharing.

Tombot 07-28-2011 05:24 AM

Awww! Great! I did not travel the Vistula with my players yet...
But i am sure, they will meet that river-pimp!!!
Coool :)

PS: Might be a stupid question, but whatīs PG-13?

Targan 07-28-2011 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombot (Post 36483)

PG-13 means the content suitable for viewing by anyone aged 13 or over, or with parental guidance for younger people. In this context it means no boobs or graphic descriptions of sexual naughtiness.

Tombot 07-28-2011 06:18 AM

No boobs

Accchhh... all right, thanks for the explanation (me=german - not used to some english terms)!
But i would have liked it with at least one ti..;)

Legbreaker 07-28-2011 08:58 AM

Specifically PG-13 is a US thing although most countries probably have a similar rating system for movies, television, computer games, etc.

kato13 07-28-2011 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombot (Post 36483)
Awww! Great! I did not travel the Vistula with my players yet...
But i am sure, they will meet that river-pimp!!!
Coool :)

Red Dawn was the first PG-13 rated film so that gives you an idea of what they can show. Violence, little/no swearing, no nudity.

There really was a huge gap between PG and R at that point in time so it was a good addition IMO.

Adm.Lee 07-28-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13 (Post 36493)
Red Dawn was the first PG-13 rated film so that gives you an idea of what they can show. Violence, little/no swearing, no nudity.

There really was a huge gap between PG and R at that point in time so it was a good addition IMO.

I was 15 or 16 when the first PG-13 movies came out. One shot of bare female breasts were apparently allowed, if there was no major violence. Believe me, I paid attention to that.

Oh, and well done, this is very realistic in my mind. Yucky, but real.

kato13 07-28-2011 11:24 AM

Apparently "Titanic" is the high water mark for nudity in PG-13.

One note on the original files, the reason the file limit is being hit is the fact that there are embedded fonts. I removed the fonts and the filesize for the second file was only 97kB

Raellus 07-28-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13 (Post 36496)
One note on the original files, the reason the file limit is being hit is the fact that there are embedded fonts. I removed the fonts and the filesize for the second file was only 97kB

I don't know what embedded fonts are. :o

If you would be so kind (and patient) as to tell me how to remove them, I will so that I can re-upload the PDFs as a single file.

@All: Thanks, guys- I'm glad you like it. If you have any other questions about Damian, his operation, or the adventure seeds, please let me know.

kato13 07-28-2011 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 36507)
I don't know what embedded fonts are. :o

If you would be so kind (and patient) as to tell me how to remove them, I will so that I can re-upload the PDFs as a single file.

Embedded fonts allow for users to view the PDF the same way even if they do not have the fonts used in the document. For some users it may look slightly different but most users will have a font in the same "family" so it will not change too much.

You need embedded fonts for very unusual things (like my To&E symbol font).

Unfortunately PDFs can be created a dozen different ways so removing them would probably be dependent on the software you are using. I use acrobat pro extended and I saved an optimized version. I then chose Settings->Fonts and then unembeded the fonts.

I have attached my modified version which is about 275kB. You replace yours and remove this link if you want. (I think moderators can do that)

natehale1971 07-28-2011 04:16 PM

My only question, or suggestion... would be to add if the women are there willingly or that he's dragoooned them (like he's done with his sister). Because that could actually tie into complications or plot hooks... Namely if one of the PCs (or one of the NPCs in their group) is an attractive female, and our scumlord here decides to dragoon her into his stable.

Raellus 07-28-2011 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natehale1971 (Post 36513)
My only question, or suggestion... would be to add if the women are there willingly or that he's dragoooned them (like he's done with his sister). Because that could actually tie into complications or plot hooks... Namely if one of the PCs (or one of the NPCs in their group) is an attractive female, and our scumlord here decides to dragoon her into his stable.

Good thought, Nate. It's one that I wrestled with quite a bit. I wanted the situation to be a little bit morally ambiguous. In other words, I didn't want it to be too obvious what an a-hole Damian is. Otherwise, PCs would almost automatically always rescue the girls. On the other hand, if it isn't clear, he's likely to get a pass.

In my PbP, the PCs didn't even try to talk to the girls. They simply paid Damian some captured gold jewelry for information on what was waiting downriver. They also neglected to tell Damian about a marauder toll station they'd passed upriver. He barely escaped with his life and the girls were all taken. Who knows what happened to them after that. Maybe if I'd made it obvious that the girls were dragooned, they would have pressed a bit. GM's have to tread a fine line lest they be accused of railroading their players.

Legbreaker 07-28-2011 07:44 PM

As a GM I feel it's useful to give players a multiple choice - a couple of options which are really stupid, one which the GM is prepared to go with although it's unlikely the PCs would, and another couple which are the preferred GM options.
There needs to be some structure provided by the GM or else the players tend to wander all over the place without setting themselves any real targets. Too much structure though and players get turned off.

One "tool" I've used in the past to good effect is having a Spetnaz team chasing the PCs. Every time they look like they're settling in and getting too comfortable I have them appear on the horizon to spur them back onto the road. Rumours of powerful enemies are also great for channelling PCs in certain directions without dictating their exact path.

natehale1971 07-28-2011 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 36521)
Good thought, Nate. It's one that I wrestled with quite a bit. I wanted the situation to be a little bit morally ambiguous. In other words, I didn't want it to be too obvious what an a-hole Damian is. Otherwise, PCs would almost automatically always rescue the girls. On the other hand, if it isn't clear, he's likely to get a pass.

In my PbP, the PCs didn't even try to talk to the girls. They simply paid Damian some captured gold jewelry for information on what was waiting downriver. They also neglected to tell Damian about a marauder toll station they'd passed upriver. He barely escaped with his life and the girls were all taken. Who knows what happened to them after that. Maybe if I'd made it obvious that the girls were dragooned, they would have pressed a bit. GM's have to tread a fine line lest they be accused of railroading their players.

Yup...

Most Players would have the feeling that the working girls are there on their own merits and not really be conscerened with it, but if they know that the girls were dragooned and forced to do this... they'd stand up to the three thugs and do something to help them. Its just that kind of situtation...

But if the hint that the girls were there against their will was there, the PCs would get involved... especially if the scumlord's try to recruit a female PC or team NPC to join the stable...

Tombot 07-29-2011 03:39 AM

Life is cheap in T2k - loveable pimps & hookers

Damian fits perfectly into the non-mililtary-but-still-harsh-civil-part of the world, which should be ever present in Twilight.
When i am preparing for scenarios where the players are involved with less open combat and more "civil affairs", i like to watch some "Deadwood" for get the right feel to it.
("The Walking Dead"-Comics, or S.Kingsīs "The Stand"-Book are other, random, inspirational sources, to name a few).

In that HBO-series most characters and circumstances/work-conditions seemed to be morally grey.
There are more generally accepted bad things (at least from our current, civilized point of view): prostitution is more common, child- and many forms of slave-labour, animal- and pitfights (ususally not to the death - but still brutish) making up for the lack of TV and other entertainment (gambling for the starving masses!), etc.

The grey line - to differ from a B-movie-plot and make it more convincing - should be, that there ARE at least some rules. And when someone breaks them, there are definitve consequences (depending on local cultures and law) you can count on. And the GM should be considering those very carefully BEFORE presenting an obvious moral dilemma like "freeing poor people from their lousy bosses".

F.e. in the Krakow-Module its pretty obvious that the robotniki-workers with their yearlong "contract" are nothing else than cheap slaves, which try to get papers to be accepted as citizens afterwards.
BUT as a workforce, at least their lives should be better, than that of a destitute refugee outside of the city-walls (the robotniki get at least some food and the Ormo-guards make sure that they dont break their contract by running away AND protecting them).

In Deadwood Al Swearengens Hookers are made up of all kinds of women - most seem to be beaten individuals with a rising drugproblem, a few are making a living with some dignity and even gain some influence for knowing prestigious customers...
Besides that - Swearengen is not only a brutish pimp. He has certain traits which makes him (at least sometimes) a likeable person, too.
With Damians description, we get a chance of creating another, "believable" character - which the players should not shoot that easy, too.
The little, neat details of his floating brothel are pointing out, that there is more, than just another bad guy to shoot. There a living people on that boat, which carved out their own niche of survival on the Vistula-River.

In my gameworld, the players should be considering real careful to mix with local affairs - like "freeing" Damians hookers.
Some would be glad, but the players than would have to take care of the girls somehow (f.e. imagine a 14 year old girl, being freed by them - now they have a new dependent! THATS a liability for at least some time!). Others would actually be loyal toward their pimp - maybe to the suprise of some characters.
When i will use Damians brothel in the future, i will detail the girls a bit, to make sure to know whos going in which direction...
Look at the relation of Deadwoods "Trixie" and "Al".
Maybe he beats her up on a regular basis.. but that is predictable to her and sheīs used to that by now. If someone would shoot Swearengen - their would be no one to protect her anymore from the streetscum, if she isnt offered a totally different income...
And as one of "Al s Veteran-girls", she actually has achieved some power within the brothel, as long as its about her business. The first episode starts with her shooting a violent customer, gets beaten up brutally by Al (even threatend with a quick death), BUT he doesnt kill her - it would cost him even more... (and he "kind of likes her" in his own way).
Or think of "Bama" from "True Romance". Juicy bits of "Hooker"-related-NPC-Diversion.

I use the T2k-Motivations and some character-traits/alignments from the "Heroes Now"-Book. We roll regularly for these traits to modify the players decisions. The players have their freedom to act, but depending on their rolls of "local" or "general" knowledge, i give them insights their PCīs would have, BEFORE acting to fast.

When my players would kill Damian and than leave girls in need, they should be aware, that their attitudes could shift into negative directions for good.
They would earn darkside traits (not in a high percentage to begin with, but if they keep behaving irresponsible, or even brutal - they could earn some nasty shit, they canīt control anymore in later situations).

The true "Heroes" (in my opinion) are those PCīs, which would still free the poor girls AND take care of them afterwards. The ones which consider the disadvantages of a certain path before drawing their guns, but still do it...
Right now i have at least one "Bullock"-like PC in the group, which always asks for trouble in the name of moral standarts.
The GM-fun for me is, to work with changes of the game-focus between the main-plot AND a lot of these optional (selfmade by the players if they care enough) "side-missions".

The twists and turns encounters like that offer are my juice!
Hmmmm- yummy GM-Food!

WallShadow 07-30-2011 10:17 PM

Now that you have available women, someone needs to generate the incomparable Festrunk brothers, Jorge and Yortep, from SNL. A pair of really out-of-it "swingers" whose mindset never left the 70's and are looking to hook up with "foxes". The tale of how they got out of Bratislava might be a saga all unto itself. Although their homemade"sex machine" does indicate some mechanical engineering abilities....

Two wild and crazy guys, anyone?:rolleyes:

Tombot 07-31-2011 03:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Like in "Fear and Loathing on the Vistula" ?

Targan 07-31-2011 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombot (Post 36607)
Like in "Fear and Loathing on the Vistula" ?

Or alternatively there's a candidate archetype for the embedded reporter PC in Nate's campaign :D

natehale1971 08-02-2011 03:06 PM

I did a drawing of Damian for Rae and he asked me to post it for everyone to enjoy...

I'm going to see what i can do to add a pair of aviator sunglasses... :)

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/PIMP-CLR.png

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...rt/PIMP-BW.png

Tombot 08-02-2011 03:14 PM

Good portrait and nice colours, nate !

natehale1971 08-02-2011 03:16 PM

Thank you... i'm working with a new set of markers and still learning a new series of tricks with them.

kato13 08-02-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natehale1971 (Post 36711)
Thank you... i'm working with a new set of markers and still learning a new series of tricks with them.

Do you use Prismacolor or similar?

natehale1971 08-02-2011 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13 (Post 36714)
Do you use Prismacolor or similar?

Yes... my sister got me some Copic markers with a series of flesh tones, and they are working great i think. i'm still learning how to do african-american and oriental skin tones, and hoping to be able to do them right soon. :)

natehale1971 08-02-2011 03:56 PM

This is the tattoo i need to add to his chest...

Nie Nostki is Polish for "No Dice" the same tattoo that the actor he's modeled on has tattooed on his chest.

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r.../font_rend.png

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...font_rend2.png

Legbreaker 08-02-2011 05:12 PM

He doesn't look quite sleazy enough for what I remember of my two encounters with him. He had that feeling that if he so much as breathed on you, you'd need industrial solvent to clean off the grease.

pmulcahy11b 08-02-2011 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natehale1971 (Post 36708)
I did a drawing of Damian for Rae and he asked me to post it for everyone to enjoy...

I like those pictures, they make Damian look like the proper mix of suave and sleaze. Looks like he could be a nice guy, but he ain't. Of course, proper play of Damian by the GM is a must.

Cdnwolf 08-03-2011 08:24 AM

http://www.cruisingholidays.co.uk/ri...-deckplans.htm

This link has deckplans for most of the tour boats that travel on the main European rivers like the Danube, Rhine, etc.

natehale1971 08-03-2011 12:28 PM

With avaitor sunglasses and tattoos.. how's that look?

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r...t/PIMP-2BW.png

http://i472.photobucket.com/albums/r.../PIMP-2CLR.png