RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   HMMWV's in Jericho Season 2 (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=189)

kato13 09-10-2008 04:36 AM

HMMWV's in Jericho Season 2

TiggerCCW UK 09-09-2008, 06:34 AM I know that when Jericho was last discussed on the forums it caused a bit of controversy, and got quite heated and personal. Therefore I'm not trying to discuss the programme, I'm merely wondering about the Hummers that appear in the first few episodes of season2. They possibly crop up later in the season as well, but at present I've only watched the first couple of episodes.

The Hummers seem to have a high roofed shell type body on the back of them, very straight and angular. Its almost reminiscent of the shape of the back of early land rovers. I was just wondering if this was a standard model or whether they'd modified some civilian vehicles to look a bit more military. It looked like it would give a bit more head room, but didn't seem to increase the internal space all that much. Just interested basically.

TiggerCCW UK 09-09-2008, 06:40 AM Found a screen cap with one of the hummers I'm talking about, thanks to Radio Free Jericho. Its the one in the centre, the two at the sides looked pretty standard to me.

kato13 09-09-2008, 06:49 AM I think that is an ambulance model M1035. If it is a soft top then that is it.

TiggerCCW UK 09-09-2008, 07:13 AM It might be, but it definitely looks like a hard top to me, sorry.

kato13 09-09-2008, 07:24 AM I agree it looks like a hard top. Here is another angle of the M1035 where at least the front portion looks like a hard top.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...mb-specs01.jpg

I also found this one. I happen to be processing vehicle photos at the moment for my site. HMMWV, EXP CAB, W/PROPHET SYSTEM: M1097A2 w/ AN/MLQ-40

TiggerCCW UK 09-09-2008, 07:43 AM I should also have said that you get one brief biew of the inside of one and it appears to be laid out with standard automobile type seats, akthough there only appears to be four, possibly 5 seats.

pmulcahy 09-09-2008, 08:09 AM You know, it almost looks like the HMMWVs that Stinger SAM teams use. Another sort of HMMWV it looks like is those HMMWVs a lot of Maintenance Platoons have in Armor and Mech Infantry Battalions -- they carry a lot of tools and spare parts. And yet a third possibility is a unit custom job -- command elements at Brigade level and above sometimes have their HMMWVs made over in unusual, individualized ways

(At 2ID, for example, the ADC(M) -- Brigadier General Granrud at the time I was there -- had a hardtop HMMWV with bucket seats taken from a Hyundai, a civilian radio with CD player and cassette, a hookup and stand in the back seats for a laptop, and some other things I won't mention for OPSEC reasons.)

Twilight2000V3 09-09-2008, 10:03 AM Never seen one before could it be a civilian conversion then.....?

Hangfire7 09-09-2008, 03:08 PM It looks similiar to the lowback ambulance varriant, but I think it is a civie model that has been doctored up to looks all tactical. Notice the roof, it is one solid piece.

pmulcahy 09-09-2008, 03:21 PM It looks similiar to the lowback ambulance varriant, but I think it is a civie model that has been doctored up to looks all tactical. Notice the roof, it is one solid piece.

Which brings us to the idea that a lot of civilian Hummers, other SUVs, and pickups would probably be pressed into service and heavily modified in a T2K timeline.

Hangfire7 09-09-2008, 05:33 PM Which brings us to the idea that a lot of civilian Hummers, other SUVs, and pickups would probably be pressed into service and heavily modified in a T2K timeline.

I quite agree. I think that a good majority of the Humvees that were on the assembly line slated for the civie market and probably those waiting to ship would be given a camo paintjob and sent to the units that were being readied for deployment, then a good number going to units working up for deployment and half of those going to new units being formed or brought up to full strength or those being brought out of mothballs.

I further think that they would probably bring back the Jeep, snapping up all of Jeep Wranglers comming off the assembly line and probably some of the heavier Dodge, Chevy and Ford diesel pickup trucks. I mean toss on the propper trailer hitch and they can be used to haul military trailers and water tanks and probably some of the lighter 105 guns and other lighter systems.

Another vehicle I can see being taken would be dune buggies primarily those made by or similiar to Sand Rails Inc. So a vehicle like the FAV would be more common as they are lighter, more portable and pretty easily made, and for what they are and do it is a decent cost benefit.

Targan 09-09-2008, 11:31 PM I agree with Paul and Hangfire's posts. I (and I'm sure many of you) try to include a plethora of civilian vehicles pressed into military service in my games. Also weird and wonderful parts used in unorthodox roles such as Major Po having a fire on board his gyrocopter (he and his pilot survived and landed the aircraft) and using the fuse box and electrics out of a Porsche to repair it.

Hangfire7 09-10-2008, 12:07 AM I also like modifications to vehicles.

Like,

The PCs opened up on a local sheriff in Washington State and some of the local militia who were investigating a large armed force moving down the I-5.

A battle ensued. And the PCs captured a TOW TRUCK that had been fitted with armor plating and a .50 cal. They got a mobility kill and then moved in and killed and wounded the crew. Only after the fact did they learn they were more or less freindliess, as both parties were loyal to Milgov.

Or, another campaign a chat game that didn't take off.

The PCs had a tracked vehicle that they outfitted with an impromptu flamethrower. They had rigged several jets for on the sides as a means to keep unwanted guests from comming to close to the sides. They also had a set of forward nozzles that could also engage targets to the front.

And of course, "Lil Tony" the track commander who lost both legs at the knee and outfitted his Bradley with a twin set of controls so that it can be operated from either inside, in the drivers position or in the turret as well as the remote, as long as his laptop and the external cameras and internal monitors worked.

And of course a regular truck with a quad ZSU mounted in the back.

Right now, I am toying with a truck with a rotating turret with a 20mm auto cannon or at least .50 on either side, with a set or two of quad 75 or 105mm recoiless rifle tubes on either of the gunner. Imagine the PCs have that as a support weapon? Ah, just thinking of it, its just plain cool! :tank: