RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   T2K Cover Art (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=5582)

Raellus 01-04-2018 03:28 PM

T2K Cover Art

I don't think we've ever had a thread devoted to Twilight 2000 cover art. What's your favorite? What do you like about it? Are there any covers that you can't stand?

I must confess that there are ulterior motives behind this thread. My Korea Sourcebook is nearing completion and I need a cover- something in the vein of the v1.0 adventure modules and/or sourcebooks. All I can offer in return is the cover art credit on the title page but, if you're interested and able, please PM me.

Tegyrius 01-04-2018 03:57 PM

Going Home is just so damn evocative.

Honorable mention to the Gazetteer for Merc: 2000, though. It's got a "we're gonna go places and do stuff" vibe that I appreciate, and the tangent-sighted Hi-Power is a bonus.

- C.

Raellus 01-04-2018 04:02 PM

The face on the Going Home cover dude was clearly modelled after Jimmy Page (Led Zeppelin guitarist) c.84. Every time I see it I wonder what he's doing in the U.S. Army.

I really like Challenge #35. I think it captures the essence of Twilight 2000 better than any other piece of cover art that I've seen.

Ancestor 01-05-2018 10:00 AM

I'll never forget seeing Red Star Line Star at Hobby Haven in 1986-my first thought was "Wolverines!"

StainlessSteelCynic 01-05-2018 07:05 PM

I voted "Other".

As much as I like the 1st Edition box set cover, I'm with Raellus. Challenge #35 was always my "go-to" image when I was talking to gamers about T2k. It's undoubtedly my fav image for the game.

Challenge #35
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/images/4/87196.jpg

Ewan 01-06-2018 07:44 AM

I agree Challenge 35 has the classic Twilight 2000 feel to it. A US vehicle and crew along with (based on the uniforms) West and East German and a Russian soldiers tagging along.

.45cultist 01-06-2018 08:18 AM

[QUOTE=Ewan;76768]I agree Challenge 35 has the classic Twilight 2000 feel to it. A US vehicle and crew along with (based on the uniforms) West and East German and a Russian soldiers tagging along.[/QUOT
I think #35 is a good cover as well.

StainlessSteelCynic 01-06-2018 08:18 AM

I always thought one of those WarPac guys was Polish? :confused:

Raellus 01-07-2018 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic (Post 76771)
I always thought one of those WarPac guys was Polish? :confused:

The guy in the foreground is probably East German, based on the helmet resting on the crate at his side.

The guy with the chickens is harder to place. He looks like he's wearing U.S. WWII-era "Duckhunter" pattern cammies (also used in Korea and Vietnam). It doesn't really look very much like any Warsaw Pact camouflage pattern (Bulgarian is the closest but it uses more angular blotches) that I know of.

The closest match that I could find on Camopedia was this:

"Polish military parachute shrouds for special operations (vice standard airborne operations, which have always been white) have been printed with a unique spot pattern (also nicknamed Żaba or "frog") since the 1960s. This pattern, its design incorporating black and orange spots on a pale green background, became popular with Polish airborne and special operations personnel, who cannibalized the parachutes and had one and two-piece customs uniforms created out of them. Although not officially produced by the government, these privately obtained uniforms remain in use well into the present era."

-

Jason Weiser 01-11-2018 09:19 AM

Cover of the 1st Ed box set. The stark nature of the art, and the eyes of the subjecfs? It says it all.

Ancestor 01-11-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Weiser (Post 76840)
Cover of the 1st Ed box set. The stark nature of the art, and the eyes of the subjecfs? It says it all.

Plus the weapons! A MK19! An M60! And a drum magazine on an M16!?

I had to know more!

Jason Weiser 01-11-2018 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ancestor (Post 76843)
Plus the weapons! A MK19! An M60! And a drum magazine on an M16!?

I had to know more!

https://goo.gl/images/7kZdQ7

Ancestor 01-11-2018 08:08 PM

That's perfect! As an aside, as bad as that movie was, I find it horribly entertaining.

ChalkLine 01-30-2018 01:34 AM

I went for 'Pirates'
Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic (Post 76759)

But this was what got me playing

StainlessSteelCynic 01-30-2018 03:53 AM

I re-read parts of this thread after ChalkLine posted and I wanted to ask a question about American English. Now I am in no way trying to be the grammar police or trying to derail this thread but the use of this particular word caused me some confusion when I first read it in a post and it did the same when I read it again a few minutes ago.

The word in question is "vice". It's being used instead othe word "versus" and again, I bring this up because use of "vice" caused me a few minutes of head shaking until I figured out what was meant.
When did vice start being used instead of versus? This is the quote that Raellus used in his post: -
Camopedia
"Polish military parachute shrouds for special operations (vice standard airborne operations, which have always been white)..."

I can understand if the use of vice is to shorten the term vice versa but if so, it's still incorrect use of the word vice, vice versa meaning the reverse order of what has been stated and vice itself having several meanings, none of which mean versus/in contrast to.

So yeah, when I see vice used in the context it was on the camopedia entry whatever concept the writer is trying to portay is obscured until I remember it's being used instead of versus. Versus is only two letters longer so it surely can't be for the ease of typing/writing?
So my question is when & why did the use of vice instead of versus become the norm in American English? Or is it the norm? Is it just used by some people and not universally accepted in American English?

Raellus 01-30-2018 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic (Post 77017)
So my question is when & why did the use of vice instead of versus become the norm in American English? Or is it the norm? Is it just used by some people and not universally accepted in American English?

It's not. My guess is that English is not the the Camopedia author's first language. Americans don't typically use vice to mean versus. It might just have been fluke).

StainlessSteelCynic 01-31-2018 09:04 PM

Thanks for the reply Raellus, I was quite curious about its use because I've seen it on a few other American-based forums (e.g. AR15.com) and it seems to have caused some confusion even among Americans themselves (hence why I asked if it's become standard or not).

My curiosity is satisfied now so hopefully I shall not be derailling this thread any further!
And on that note...
While I chose Challenge No35 as my favourite image, I do like a number of others for the "Twilight: 2000" feel. ChalkLine mentioned Pirates Of The Vistula but I think The Free City Of Krakow is another really good example as well as Challenge No30. In fact, I think the cover of #30 would be my runner-up to #35

Challenge #30
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/images/4/87191.jpg

swaghauler 02-01-2018 08:22 PM

I love boats so it was a toss-up between Pirates and the Spanish Main. I think Pirates is the better image FOR Twilight2000.

Raellus 06-13-2020 10:37 AM

It's Alive!

Based on the new responses on the Favorite APC/IFV poll, I thought a little more thread necromancy might be in order.

Benjamin 06-14-2020 08:27 AM

I really like the cover art for the upcoming Fria Ligan version Of the game. I’m not real keen on the melty looking interior art so hopefully for the vehicles they have color plates again.

Ramjam 06-14-2020 10:06 AM

The cover to the ver 1 box set has my vote.
There's just something about the scene that gets you thinking about what they are going through without even reading anything

Raellus 06-14-2020 12:28 PM

Mea Culpa

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramjam (Post 83789)
The cover to the ver 1 box set has my vote.

I have no idea why I didn't include the v1 cover art as a poll option. It's an inexcusable lapse for which I apologize. It was my entree to T2k as an 11-year old kid and will always hold a special place in my memory.

-