RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Version 4 of the game (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=5941)

Legbreaker 05-10-2019 09:20 AM

Interesting.....
FYI, I'm writing the Anzac book in a way that will allow it to be used for DC as well with a few relatively minor tweaks. As I said before, the two games always seemed like siblings to me.

StainlessSteelCynic 05-10-2019 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legbreaker (Post 81544)
Interesting.....
FYI, I'm writing the Anzac book in a way that will allow it to be used for DC as well with a few relatively minor tweaks. As I said before, the two games always seemed like siblings to me.

Like most rpgs set in the real world, Australia gets a mention but doesn't get developed much beyond that.
In the first edition of Dark Conspiracy, there was barely a mention of Australia but there was a significant conclusion that could be drawn about the country from some flavour text early in the main book. It basically said, the Eastern Australian Air Force had nuked Melbourne but was refusnig to say why.
So, we have Australia split into at least two new nations with one of them being inferred (Eastern Australia) and this new nation has the ability to either acquire or make nuclear weapons - both of which require a committed government (but government none-the-less, see below). And we have a major infestation of the Dark corrupting enough of Melbourne that it was decided to "bomb it back to the stone age."
As an aside, I wrote an article building upon this that I'm hoping will make the next issue of The Dark Times ezine

In the case of 4th edition, at this current time in development, the country has suffered the loss of government (at federal, state & local levels) due to major infestations of Demonground in the major cities. Australia has become a nation of nomands as a result.
So there's little chance that any sort of unified "Australian" response to events within Australia would take place and basically no chance for events outside the country.
I'm hoping that will change in the final product because I see an Australia as a nation of nomads being unstustainable when there are no cities left to produce fuel & food. I'd like to see Australia given the sort of treatment that can be implied by the movies Mad Max and The Rover rather than the idea of it becoming Mad Max 2 & 3

However, in regards to your material, everything depends on the timeline.
Dark Conspiracy was traditionally "near future" and 1st Ed. was set around 2013-18 so for 4th Ed. you could imply anytime after about 2025.
Your material could be one of the final "Australian" actions that take place before the country goes down the gurgler. If significant numbers of Australian military forces had been deployed outside the country, there'd be insufficient numbers left to deal with the Demonground infestations.
And there'd be very little left for them to return home to but it would be an echo of T2k's Going Home with all the adventure potential of that.

swaghauler 05-10-2019 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StainlessSteelCynic (Post 81542)
The recruiting drive was started in the middle of 2018 and concluded in the last half of that year. They probably aren't looking for new team members but I've asked if they're interested and I'm just waiting on a reply.
Alternately I can submit your material for you if they're interested in just the submission (under your name so you get full credit) but in either case, I can't guarantee anything beyond them thinking about it.
I'll let you know once I know.

You're more than welcome to take ANYTHING I've posted in this Forum and use it as needed. Feel free to convert it into whatever format you need as well. I feel I can trust most of the members of this forum (and I CANNOT say that about the majority of forums I post in). My hope is to see a "more complete" version of the V2.2 rules than GDW did initially.

I'm also interested in seeing a "universal" damage standard. Melee weapons should use multiple dice just like firearms do. I would use a Melee version of the Unarmed Combat formula to generate a number between 1 and 5 and use that as the NUMBER of Damage dice the character rolls. The TYPE of die should be based on the Weapon itself. Melee weapons should be every bit as dangerous as firearms within their reach. I would also see HTH damage rolled as multiple dice but treated as STUN Damage not killing damage. By having only one Damage system, you reduce confusion about how Damage works during play.

Lethality NEEDS to increase a bit too. You can do that by reducing HP per location though. I use;
Head = CON
Chest & Abdomen = CON + STR
Arms = 2 X STR + CON
Legs = 2 X CON + STR

This reduces each location to a low of 5 Hp up to a high of 15 Hp for a perfectly average character. This increases lethality WITHOUT making the characters "glass cannons."

StainlessSteelCynic 05-10-2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaghauler (Post 81550)
You're more than welcome to take ANYTHING I've posted in this Forum and use it as needed. Feel free to convert it into whatever format you need as well. I feel I can trust most of the members of this forum (and I CANNOT say that about the majority of forums I post in). My hope is to see a "more complete" version of the V2.2 rules than GDW did initially.

I'm also interested in seeing a "universal" damage standard. Melee weapons should use multiple dice just like firearms do. I would use a Melee version of the Unarmed Combat formula to generate a number between 1 and 5 and use that as the NUMBER of Damage dice the character rolls. The TYPE of die should be based on the Weapon itself. Melee weapons should be every bit as dangerous as firearms within their reach. I would also see HTH damage rolled as multiple dice but treated as STUN Damage not killing damage. By having only one Damage system, you reduce confusion about how Damage works during play.

Lethality NEEDS to increase a bit too. You can do that by reducing HP per location though. I use;
Head = CON
Chest & Abdomen = CON + STR
Arms = 2 X STR + CON
Legs = 2 X CON + STR

This reduces each location to a low of 5 Hp up to a high of 15 Hp for a perfectly average character. This increases lethality WITHOUT making the characters "glass cannons."

Unfortunately I don't have any input into the damage rules, that's someone else's assignment.
The Dark Conspiracy 4th Ed. rules are based on the D20 system used for 1st Ed. Dark Conspiracy (which in all practical terms made it version 1.1) and for DC 2nd Ed.
"Based upon them" but with some differences and the overall aim has been to streamline them and overhaul Initiative and a few other points here and there but keep the base compatible with earlier versions so old hands feel familiar with it and it makes conversion of older materials easier.

So a more comprehensive version of V2.2 it probably won't be.
As for reducing hit points, I pitched that one to the team because I was using almost the same system for my own games that you have used. I also did the work on melee weapons but it was based on the damage system from the previous editions with the understanding that whatever rules changes are decided upon for damage will be applied to the melee weapon stats so that they are updated to the 4th Ed. standard.
The rules team have one approach they're working on regarding damage in all its forms but they are looking at various ideas. Whether PCs have reduced hit points or not in the final product or whether there is a more unified damage system, it's too soon for me to know.

Cdnwolf 05-12-2019 12:20 PM

Anybody ask Smokewolf since he worked on Twl2013 for 93 Games Studio and might know what's going on with the licence?

EvilvonScary 05-12-2019 03:18 PM

Seems like almost everyone Ive thought of as keeping T2K alive (new module/source book writers, Paul M, this place, etc) were completely cut out of the process for version 4. Sure I get business is business but when it comes to RPGs etc its a very niche market and niche products need to be engaged with its community. Not feeling that engagement at all. Heck kick-starter (etal) campaigns give more information to the public than what were getting.

Olefin 05-13-2019 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilvonScary (Post 81561)
Seems like almost everyone Ive thought of as keeping T2K alive (new module/source book writers, Paul M, this place, etc) were completely cut out of the process for version 4. Sure I get business is business but when it comes to RPGs etc its a very niche market and niche products need to be engaged with its community. Not feeling that engagement at all. Heck kick-starter (etal) campaigns give more information to the public than what were getting.

I agree with you completely - Paul, myself and Raellus have a very public presence out there and could have been easily contacted - and you would think they would be looking for writers - especially with so many of the original canon writers no longer active. And Paul's site is literally a gold mine for anyone who writes for the game - heck I cited it in my module as a way to avoid having to take a bunch of pages to detail out vehicles and equipment that he has already taken great pains to do so.

pmulcahy11b 05-13-2019 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EvilvonScary (Post 81561)

My pages even say that future writers of versions of Twilight may use the information on my pages, freely!

Olefin 05-13-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 81567)
My pages even say that future writers of versions of Twilight may use the information on my pages, freely!

Yup - thats why I have that in my release

"Please refer to any of the several different vehicle sourcebooks that have been released for Twilight 2000 and its various editions for details of the vehicles, aircraft and weapons used in this sourcebook.

Another excellent source for stats and information on new vehicles, small arms and artillery not previously mentioned in those sourcebooks (for instance the Casspir APC) would be the http://www.pmulcahy.com site which is a veritable treasure house of information for the Twilight 2000 game"

Legbreaker 05-13-2019 08:40 PM

It's the best unofficial site anywhere in existence for the game. So good it might as well be official!

Raellus 05-14-2019 11:44 AM

Hear, hear!

I credit, and direct readers to, Paul's website in both my published T2K works (Rook's Gambit, and the Korean Peninsula Sourcebook).

Thank you, Paul!

kato13 05-14-2019 11:53 AM

I will jump on the Paul thanks bandwagon.

100% this site would not be here if Paul's site had not rekindled my interest in T2k more than 2 decades ago.

Your site is ever improving and IMO the best one man site in ALL of gaming for almost as long as the web has been in commonplace use. Quite impressive.

Your efforts and positive effect on the T2k world cannot be overstated.

Kudos to you.

Olefin 05-14-2019 01:35 PM

Add my name to the list of kudos as well - and frankly the smartest thing that could be done by the new owners would be to declare his site as an official source for the game.

mcchordsage 05-26-2019 11:44 PM

Same here. Finding Paul's sites was one of the things that convinced me this old book I'd picked up wasn't dead!