RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Birth Year (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=353)

kato13 08-02-2009 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo80 (Post 11766)
Born in Philadelphia, Pa, USA in 1953

jturfitt and Graebarde will be glad to have another contemporary. I would suggest you refrain from calling us all young pups as that is normally Graebarde's line ;)

pmulcahy11b 08-02-2009 03:00 PM

You're six years older than my big sister. (And sorry, she's taken.)

rabbakahn 08-02-2009 06:38 PM

At what time does one cease being a young pup? Though I was born in '62 and can feel 50 kicking at the door (or window, I cannot tell), I still would like to consider myself a "pup". Does it count if my dear old dad was stomping in the jungles in WW2. He joined before long before the rush after Pearl Harbor.

And no, I cannot ask him where I stand either. I lost him back in '78.

Fred

pmulcahy11b 08-03-2009 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabbakahn (Post 11787)
At what time does one cease being a young pup? Though I was born in '62 and can feel 50 kicking at the door (or window, I cannot tell), I still would like to consider myself a "pup". Does it count if my dear old dad was stomping in the jungles in WW2. He joined before long before the rush after Pearl Harbor.

And no, I cannot ask him where I stand either. I lost him back in '78.

Fred

I was born in 1962 also. Lost my father in 2005 from colon cancer -- but the truth is a never really knew him. I have a few nice memories of him, and he encouraged my zest for learning unlike my stepmonster -- but my parents were divorced when I was 6 and I haven't seen or heard from him since I was 8. I never got a chance to really known him.

But just think -- in 3 years, we'll be eligible for AARP!

Targan 08-03-2009 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 11822)
But just think -- in 3 years, we'll be eligible for AARP!

What is AARP?

Jason Weiser 08-03-2009 07:36 AM

1974 here. Don't give up hope Paul..trust me..I am one ugly cuss and my wife still loves me...:D You've got to have me beat in the looks department! And, as for the other issues, well, she's bipolar, so I know a LOT about that. Just gotta find the right person.

In any case, Targan, AARP is known as the American Association for Retired Persons...or as our politicians know them "don't touch my Social Security or Medicare if you know what's good for you, Sonny!" Our Altekakers in droves.

natehale1971 08-03-2009 08:18 AM

I lost my grandfather 6 April 2004 and my grandmother 21 January 2005. I had spent the last three and half years of their lives taking care of them. I had moved in to their home and provided 24/7 healthcare for them. Granddad had stopped calling me his grandson, and only referred to me as his SON. Grandmom was the same way. Begging my parents to come see them was an almost daily occurance, and everytime they would go to their house, they would drive right by my grandparents home.

My life had become nothing but taking care of them, sleeping just a couple hours a night with a monitor by my head listening for the two of them in case something went wrong.

I have friends who can't believe all the things I have done for others, and keep getting hurt when people take advantage of me. the last convention i was at, someone told me that they had expected me to become a cold heartless bastard. but i just try to be the best person I can be. i try to do the right thing, no matter what. no matter how much i end up getting hurt, i still try to do the right thing.

As for ARRP... it's been doing things that it's members totally don't agree with and is actually totally against the best interest of their members. I have been getting ARRP letters begging me to join, and i'm only 38. I sent them an email saying that I would only join ARRP if they would stop getting involved in political debates, and actually worked to get the best deals for retired people... They still haven't responded to my email..

pmulcahy11b 08-03-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 11825)
What is AARP?

American Association for Retired Persons. You have to be 50 (but not necessarily retired) to join. Yearly dues are low, but membership can get you discounts at various stores and services, low-cost life, auto, health, and home insurance -- and you're a part of one of the most powerful lobbying blocs in Washington.

Shottglazz 08-19-2009 11:07 AM

1973 - the day before my mom's 23rd birthday...now I sell insurance...first played T2K in high school (although can't remember if we played T2K or Recon first)...

pmulcahy11b 08-19-2009 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shottglazz (Post 12561)
1973 - the day before my mom's 23rd birthday...now I sell insurance...first played T2K in high school (although can't remember if we played T2K or Recon first)...

Insurance, huh? Can you find someone who's willing to sell me life insurance at an affordable price? I have enough health problems and a negative family health history that the best I can find is almost no-dollar-value life insurance at a price way beyond what I can afford!

Graebarde 08-23-2009 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 11829)
American Association for Retired Persons. You have to be 50 (but not necessarily retired) to join. Yearly dues are low, but membership can get you discounts at various stores and services, low-cost life, auto, health, and home insurance -- and you're a part of one of the most powerful lobbying blocs in Washington.

I got the letter of invite to join them ON my 50th birthday.. talk about timing.. It immediately went into file 13.

pmulcahy11b 08-23-2009 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graebarde (Post 12639)
I got the letter of invite to join them ON my 50th birthday.. talk about timing.. It immediately went into file 13.

I'm going to join; they're the only ones who are willing to sell me life insurance...

Shottglazz 08-24-2009 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 12563)
Insurance, huh? Can you find someone who's willing to sell me life insurance at an affordable price? I have enough health problems and a negative family health history that the best I can find is almost no-dollar-value life insurance at a price way beyond what I can afford!

LOL sorry pmulcahy, no can do...only licensed to sell in Canada...wait, I could start a cross-border black market insurance ring...

Kellhound 09-10-2009 10:24 AM

1974 here.

scholar rat 09-19-2009 05:27 PM

1966 here.

pmulcahy11b 11-09-2009 01:28 AM

I wasn't born, I was hatched.

Abbott Shaull 02-25-2010 06:41 PM

Dogger 02-26-2010 03:42 PM

Been out of the loop for awhile...so I'm catching up on the topics. :D

1965 here...and yes...I even still do a little RPGing now and then...me and another old dog player buddy tell the ladies we're having a 'poker night' but instead brake out the game chit instead LOL.

Muti 09-17-2010 10:28 AM

1986!

Year of the (in)famous Chernobyl nuclear disaster :o

JimmyRay73 09-22-2010 11:12 PM

1973 and not afraid to admit it. First started playing T2K when my cousin got the 1st Edition during the heart of the cold war. I'm still a gamer and I still have some 2nd edition books from the early 90's waiting for a chance to play.

On a side note regarding age: a few months ago one of the cashiers at work looked puzzled when a co-worker made a "dirty old man" crack directed toward me. She said "You're what, 27 or so?" I just smiled and told her she was my new favorite.

TiggerCCW UK 09-23-2010 07:18 AM

I'm feeling my age at the minute :mad: New term has started at the uni where I manage the bars and this years crop of freshers weren't even born when I started working bars :(

Rockwolf66 09-23-2010 07:57 PM

1981 here and it seems that the kids who come into work are dumb as mud these days.

pmulcahy11b 09-23-2010 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 25747)
1981 here and it seems that the kids who come into work are dumb as mud these days.

I don't think our kids are any dumber than kids of any era -- they're just poorly-educated and have less of a work ethic. They also seem, to me, to be more fatalistic than earlier generations -- and they might have a good reason to be so.

helbent4 10-07-2010 05:56 PM

Group,

Born in '68, ran "Kalisz" in summer of '84.

Not too long ago I was in a T2K game set in England (sort of "Going Home" Lite) and mentioned because it was a rear area it wasn't like we were in the "Fulda Gap" or anything... the GM (who was in the US Army) didn't know what that meant.

Tony

Rockwolf66 10-08-2010 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by helbent4 (Post 26010)
Group,

Born in '68, ran "Kalisz" in summer of '84.

Not too long ago I was in a T2K game set in England (sort of "Going Home" Lite) and mentioned because it was a rear area it wasn't like we were in the "Fulda Gap" or anything... the GM (who was in the US Army) didn't know what that meant.

Tony

Can I have the army guy. I'm currently dealing with a former marine corporal who claims to have been running all over mogadishu, working as Marine Intelligence directly under the NSA. Somehow I don't think that the marines would need to risk trained intelligence people on the ground or FAST members as bodyguards when your average jarhead could do the job described just as well.

helbent4 10-15-2010 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rockwolf66 (Post 26035)
Can I have the army guy. I'm currently dealing with a former marine corporal who claims to have been running all over mogadishu, working as Marine Intelligence directly under the NSA. Somehow I don't think that the marines would need to risk trained intelligence people on the ground or FAST members as bodyguards when your average jarhead could do the job described just as well.

Rockwolf,

Possibly they sent him all around so he'd be out of the hair of the other Marines who were doing real stuff?

At any rate the GM was my friend Eric "BigeHauser", who is a good guy and usually sharp as a tack (for a young whipper-snapper). I guess he was just having an off-day.

Tony

dragoon500ly 11-27-2010 06:57 AM

July 1959 here....

"Active Duty since JC was a Corp!"

Panther Al 12-01-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 25749)
I don't think our kids are any dumber than kids of any era -- they're just poorly-educated and have less of a work ethic. They also seem, to me, to be more fatalistic than earlier generations -- and they might have a good reason to be so.

If not poorly educated they tend to be a little on the know it all side: Only person in my area interested in playing T2K falls into the "Arrogance matched only by Ignorance" category. Made the mistake of mentioning I was a tanker and he went off on how great it was that we had autoloaders in the abrams. He was convinced that since saw it on the internet my experiences with the M1 was clearly because they was keeping it a secret from us.

Sigh.

What can ya do?

helbent4 12-03-2010 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther Al (Post 27914)
If not poorly educated they tend to be a little on the know it all side.

Panther,

Dude, like that didn't describe us all at a young age!

Tony

dragoon500ly 12-07-2010 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panther Al (Post 27914)
If not poorly educated they tend to be a little on the know it all side: Only person in my area interested in playing T2K falls into the "Arrogance matched only by Ignorance" category. Made the mistake of mentioning I was a tanker and he went off on how great it was that we had autoloaders in the abrams. He was convinced that since saw it on the internet my experiences with the M1 was clearly because they was keeping it a secret from us.

Sigh.

What can ya do?

There was a reporter down in Ft Hood who reported that the M-1 used "ground-breaking radar" as part of its fire-control system. Funny, I still can't find any mention of it in the manuals and I must say that the radar dish is very well camouflaged! Either that or the reporter mistook a Hoffman for the radar....