RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Free German Legion (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2619)

James Langham 12-29-2010 05:04 AM

Free German Legion

1 Attachment(s)
A new unit for version 2.2. Please feel free to comment.

dragoon500ly 12-29-2010 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Langham (Post 29136)
A new unit for version 2.2. Please feel free to comment.

Intresting concept, GOOD work!

Canadian Army 12-29-2010 05:51 AM

Nice Work!

Legbreaker 12-29-2010 06:17 AM

The 2nd US Marines were not in the Vistula area until July 2000. It's unknown where they were in January (I suspect as far back as Bremen, ready to board available shipping for a possible amphibious op), however it is known they conducted amphibious landings across the delta in July as part of the German III Army offensive.
Other than that one small issue, it's great work. About time somebody thought about defections eastward! Well done!

James Langham 12-29-2010 08:00 AM

Alternative enemy

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legbreaker (Post 29145)
The 2nd US Marines were not in the Vistula area until July 2000. It's unknown where they were in January (I suspect as far back as Bremen, ready to board available shipping for a possible amphibious op), however it is known they conducted amphibious landings across the delta in July as part of the German III Army offensive.about defections eastward! Well done!

Thanks missed that one. Anyone know who is likely to be in that area in January 2000?

Targan 12-29-2010 08:15 AM

Interesting. Nice work James.

Raellus 12-29-2010 08:24 AM

Very nice. I particularly like the historical tone- it's very much in keeping with some of the writing in the U.S. and Soviet Vehicle Guides from v1.0. Good work.

You asked about units in/around NW Poland in the winter of 2000. I'm assuming you meant NATO forces? If so, the U.S. XI Corps apparently stayed behind, during/after Operation Omega/Return. It consisted of:

50th U.S. AD (2200; 33)
4th Canadian MB (1000; 6)
116th U.S. ACR (600;8)
2nd U.S. Marine Division (3400; 14)

This is from Going Home.

Here's a Corps level deep reconaissance and rading unit that I made up that operates in the region: http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.p...light=commando

If you're also looking for PACT and newly independent units operating in NW Poland, let me know.

Once piece of constructive criticism: I think 43 kills is way too high a tally in the jet age. The top scoring jet ace of all time (Israeli, Giora Epstein) has something like 17 kills and that was across three wars. A few ME262 pilots scored around 16 kills (in jets) as did a couple of Korean War jet pilots. I think 13 or 14 kills would be more realistic for a pilot of the background which you described.

James Langham 12-29-2010 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 29158)
Very nice. I particularly like the historical tone- it's very much in keeping with some of the writing in the U.S. and Soviet Vehicle Guides from v1.0. Good work.

You asked about units in/around NW Poland in the winter of 2000. I'm assuming you meant NATO forces? If so, the U.S. XI Corps apparently stayed behind, during/after Operation Omega/Return. It consisted of:

50th U.S. AD (2200; 33)
4th Canadian MB (1000; 6)
116th U.S. ACR (600;8)
2nd U.S. Marine Division (3400; 14)

This is from Going Home.

Here's a Corps level deep reconaissance and rading unit that I made up that operates in the region: http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.p...light=commando

If you're also looking for PACT and newly independent units operating in NW Poland, let me know.

Once piece of constructive criticism: I think 43 kills is way too high a tally in the jet age. The top scoring jet ace of all time (Israeli, Giora Epstein) has something like 17 kills and that was across three wars. A few ME262 pilots scored around 16 kills (in jets) as did a couple of Korean War jet pilots. I think 13 or 14 kills would be more realistic for a pilot of the background which you described.

Thanks for the positive comments.

I'm actually looking for units in early 2000 as an alternative to the 2nd Marines.

Fair comment on the kills I will reduce but probably keep in the 20s as the fighting will be far more intense than the quoted wars.

Raellus 12-29-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Langham (Post 29160)
I'm actually looking for units in early 2000 as an alternative to the 2nd Marines.

Whoops! I was thinking about January 2001 instead of January 2000. Unfortunately, there's a gap in the canon. The rulebooks start getting into detail about unit placement and strength starting around July of 2000. Some of the vehicle guides make passing mention of unit locations prior to this period, but the info is sparse, at best.

Perhaps this can help. I spent hours producing this unit location map. Once again, it's based on canonical info given for the summer of 2000. But, perhaps you can find a unit in the region at that time that will fit your requirements.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4,9.854736&z=7

EDIT: Damn. I can't get the map with the unit symbols to link properly. I post the URL but it just shows the map without the dozens of unit symbols I spent hours overlaying. Sorry. I'll keep trying. Right now, I need to take a break before I headbutt the computer.

Adm.Lee 12-29-2010 11:32 AM

Nice, quite believable that there should have been at least a division's worth of unreformed "Ossies."

Abbott Shaull 12-29-2010 01:01 PM

Interesting take on it. I am surprise they would of ever been sent to China, considering many of the Germans would be fighting in there own back yard to speak of, once NATO was pushed backed into Germany...

James Langham 12-29-2010 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull (Post 29176)
Interesting take on it. I am surprise they would of ever been sent to China, considering many of the Germans would be fighting in there own back yard to speak of, once NATO was pushed backed into Germany...

I stole the idea from the Germans in World War Two.

Rainbow Six 12-29-2010 03:40 PM

Well done - nice piece of work.

I liked your piece on the Vatican as well - look forward to reading more.

helbent4 12-29-2010 05:48 PM

James,

Looks great! I liked the "future retrospective" tone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 29164)

Perhaps this can help. I spent hours producing this unit location map. Once again, it's based on canonical info given for the summer of 2000. But, perhaps you can find a unit in the region at that time that will fit your requirements.

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UT...4,9.854736&z=7

Rae,

Great map! Seems to work okay for me. Saved to my own Google Maps account.

As a suggestion, maybe US units might be Green to make them stand out from the Germans? (Granted, the few Green units might have to change to another colour, or just be kept the same.)

Tony

Legbreaker 12-30-2010 04:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Langham (Post 29151)
Thanks missed that one. Anyone know who is likely to be in that area in January 2000?

There were no NATO units in the region of the Vistula in the first half of 2000 (in fact none at all since late 1997 when the Pact counter-attacked and pushed them back into Germany). Furthermore, it's debatable is any Nato units were in North East Poland (although I'm leaning towards a yes on that and the 50th AD, 116th ACR and Canadian 4th MB of the US XI Corps not having moved much during the offensive).
I've done substantial research on pre-July placements and the best I can suggest is that you're probably better off having the event occur in the central/southern part of the German/Poland front with either the German 27th PD or US 3rd MD. The British 3rd MD could also be a good choice.