RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Creative field improvisations. (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=764)

kato13 05-14-2009 10:09 AM

Creative field improvisations.

What are some things that soldiers come up with in the field using available materials.

I have heard of condoms being used to protect a weapon's barrel.

Silly string to detect tripwires.

Barb wire used for field telephone communication.

I am sure soldiers have come up with much more creative examples. Lets hear some of them.

Targan 05-14-2009 10:19 AM

Tampons to plug bullet wounds?

pmulcahy11b 05-14-2009 12:42 PM

Superglue to seal lacerations temporarily, and that powder the veterinarian gives you for when you over-cut your pet's claws to stop minor bleeding.

I ought to talk to my nephew about this one when he gets the chance to email us (he does every so often). He'd know all the latest tricks.

stilleto69 05-14-2009 01:25 PM

MRE Peanut Butter to keep POW's quiet:)

pmulcahy11b 05-14-2009 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stilleto69
MRE Peanut Butter to keep POW's quiet:)

And you can keep privates quiet by threatening to force-feed them the Chicken a la King...

chico20854 05-14-2009 02:43 PM

tons of uses for Army-standard paracute (aka 550) cord:

http://community.armystudyguide.com/...4031099041/p/1

weswood 05-14-2009 05:37 PM

My father used to burn C-4 in his upside down steel helmet with his canteen cup inside to cook his coffee water.

O'Borg 05-14-2009 06:15 PM

I think the condoms to stop rainwater getting in rifle barrels was an official army one from WW2 actually!

rcaf_777 05-14-2009 07:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here a good use for a Vehicle Cam Net, oh and yes that is me in it, I can't take credit for it, Army Signalers live for comfort

kato13 05-15-2009 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaf_777
Here a good use for a Vehicle Cam Net, oh and yes that is me in it, I can't take credit for it, Army Signalers live for comfort

I like it. Describing little details like this can really add to a game's atmosphere.

Targan 05-15-2009 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaf_777

Note the raw aggression displayed by the Canadian fightin' man! :D

Earthpig 05-16-2009 11:44 AM

We used an 8 pound sledgehammer to make the holes for M-14 ap mines(Toe poppers) it made a hole just exactly the right size and depth for that mine:)

I had a friend who tried to teach some ranger unit this trick and one of 'em tried to put the (live) mine on the ground and pound it....luckily the ring safety held:boom:

Earthpig 05-16-2009 11:50 AM

We once got a hold of a box of various camera flashes; from old single bulbs through 110 camera flashes. We wired them up with 9 volt batteries, clothes pins and MRE/field mess plastic spoons. They were very effective early warning devices and screwed with the OPFOR's night vision(natural and electronic):D.....we put the flashes on the enemy side of the trees so we would not get the flash.

Nowhere Man 1966 05-17-2009 04:24 PM

I've heard that the Slinky spring toy was used as a antenna for manpack and vehicle radios in Vietnam.

Chuck M.

pmulcahy11b 05-17-2009 05:24 PM

On the old PRC-77s (it doesn't work with SINGCARS), you could cut off the headphones of a Walkman, strip the wire, and wire it into the Aux antenna leads. Makes the drive more fun, and it doesn't go out over the radio itself -- it just goes into the vehicle intercom.

Graebarde 06-05-2009 05:02 PM

8-pound test fishing line for "perimeter fence" in wooded area. With cans and rocks for alarm. Spiderwebbed the area to our front. OPFOR got all tangled in the stuff while we sniped them out. This went on for three nights at different locations. Cheap, light, and effective for the purpose intended.

jester 06-06-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
And you can keep privates quiet by threatening to force-feed them the Chicken a la King...

Paul, I knew you were evil! Using it on privates, sure since using it on POWs is a clear violation of the Genevia Convention!

jester 06-06-2009 08:24 AM

Using the engine or exhaust of a vehicle to heat your rations. They did it with the C-rations and we did it with the MRE's slap em on a hot engine and leave em for a bit. Hot chow!

Burried soda cans with fishline comming from them, I did this once in a training area and poof instant denial, they didn't know what they were up against.

Old Foam Sleeping mats cut into pieces and used for:

Pads for the cartridge belt or shoulder harness or pack straps, insoles for boots and as a helmet liner. <I also used those foam pieces used to ship SAW drums in the ammo can worked perfectly>

Empty Sandbags as a pack organizer, 1 per external pouch, 1 for chow, 1 for ammo, 1 for laundry, they kept all of that item together and also cushioned it slightly, protecting as well as silencing it.

Empy mortar round cartons or grenade cartons to hold or protect items, Ammo cans as a waterproof strong box.

MRE creamer and cocoa powder as a firestarter

Heat Tabs in a Smoke grenade for a feild expedient tear gas