RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Dice or random number generator (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=6939)

kcdusk 08-22-2023 07:21 PM

Dice or random number generator

So, when your playing T2K, how do you determine your results?

Do you use dice, an internet random number generator, excel spreadsheet or something else?

I've been using a random number generator in excel, but have decided to use the Free League dice that came with the box set. I like the more tactile nature of them, and the art.

Tegyrius 08-23-2023 05:15 AM

Because my current campaign is running on Forge, I voted "internet random number generator." Having said that, my personal aesthetic preference is for physical dice, and I keep a set (currently metal factory seconds from Fanroll) on my desk at all times. If I ever get to run an in-person campaign again, all electronics except assistive technology for disabled players will be banned from the table for atmospheric reasons.

- C.

pmulcahy11b 08-25-2023 01:57 PM

I found a free program on the web a couple of decades ago called Dice Roller Deluxe, so I chose "Other," since it is a program that resides on your computer instead of the Net. It has all the regular dice, and also allows rolling of odd things like d33, d17 or d1032, for example. I don't know if it can still be found on the web, however.

Raellus 08-25-2023 03:31 PM

It depends on the gaming milieu.

For an FtF game, physical dice. For my 4e rules solo campaign, I use the dice that came in the box set (so that was my poll choice). There's something psychologically satisfying that comes with the tactile experience of rolling real dice. Rolling a d12 just feels better than selecting d12 from a drop-down menu or whatever. I think that using physical dice also gives the roller more of an illusion of control than virtual "dice" do. It's a lot harder to blow on, or kiss, or shake digital dice extra long before rolling. ;)

For PbP where transparency is important (or trust is lacking), an online dice roller that displays results (publicly or privately) is a must.

For the Ref on the go, there are a couple of free dice roller apps that you can install on your smart phone. I use one called RPG Dice Roller that I would recommend. You can choose d2-d100 and include modifiers (or not). It's got roll history and save functions, and customs rolls. It's also got something called "fate" that randomly generates a +1 or -1, but I'm not sure what that would be used for.

-

Tegyrius 08-25-2023 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 95507)
It's also got something called "fate" that randomly generates a +1 or -1, but I'm not sure what that would be used for.

Fudge- and Fate-engine games, of course. :)

(Those systems use a 4d roll. Each die is marked with +, -, and null faces. Add the faces together to determine the die result; the range of possible results is a bell curve from -4 to +4. They're very lightweight, abstract, narrative games; rather antithetical to classic T2k simulationist design.)

- C.