RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   TW2k13 (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=3320)

Milano 03-26-2017 08:10 AM

Isn't having kids that age alittle like LIVING in a post-apoc war zone? (I have two boys 2.5 and 4)

Medic 03-26-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milano (Post 73664)
Isn't having kids that age alittle like LIVING in a post-apoc war zone? (I have two boys 2.5 and 4)

At times more than just a little, even though the older one is a girl - but then again she's a bit of a tomboy. I'm pretty sure, she might actually do the conscript service, when she comes of the age.

But, that's that for the said subject. I'm actually planning on writing up a story with the help of the game rules, once I get through with generating the central cast for it.

swaghauler 03-26-2017 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milano (Post 73664)

Just remember how cute they are now when they are coming home and saying... "Dad, I wrecked the car."

Kids are cute when they are small so you don't kill them. Later on, you have too much time and money invested in them to even contemplate it. I had two good ones and a third that fulfilled the "Mother's Curse." :)

Targan 03-27-2017 11:21 PM

I have one that's 17 and another that's nearly 2... what was I thinking?

unkated 03-28-2017 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 73674)

Clearly, there's a lot you forgot in 15 years :D

Uncle Ted

Medic 03-28-2017 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 73674)

The question should be evident, as well as what you were thinking with...:D

swaghauler 04-06-2017 09:45 PM

A Rules Modification Back To V2.2

I was wondering if anyone had ever considered backtracking the TW2K13 rules to a more V2.2-like version. I wonder how much modification it would take to the Reflex System to just roll a single 1D20 BUT still use the Margins of Success and Margins of Failure the system uses. My first thought is to add the Skill Level number to the Base Target Number (as determined by the task's required characteristic score). I'd then add the modifiers but drop the limit of +5 to the Target Number bonuses. This seems to balance the Margin of Success probability when using only a single die to determine success.

Has anyone ever tried this?

Tegyrius 04-22-2017 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaghauler (Post 73817)
I was wondering if anyone had ever considered backtracking the TW2K13 rules to a more V2.2-like version. I wonder how much modification it would take to the Reflex System to just roll a single 1D20 BUT still use the Margins of Success and Margins of Failure the system uses. My first thought is to add the Skill Level number to the Base Target Number (as determined by the task's required characteristic score). I'd then add the modifiers but drop the limit of +5 to the Target Number bonuses. This seems to balance the Margin of Success probability when using only a single die to determine success.

I've all but completely abandoned Reflex. With the clarity of hindsight, it'd be adequate as a computer-mediated system but it's too slow and cumbersome for the sort of tabletop play I prefer. Recently, I've found myself returning once again to one of its inspirations: the Synergy engine in second edition Blue Planet.

- C.

swaghauler 04-22-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegyrius (Post 74046)
I've all but completely abandoned Reflex. With the clarity of hindsight, it'd be adequate as a computer-mediated system but it's too slow and cumbersome for the sort of tabletop play I prefer. Recently, I've found myself returning once again to one of its inspirations: the Synergy engine in second edition Blue Planet.

- C.

That's a shame after you invested so much in TW2K13. :( Your CUF rules are second to none and I use a simplified TICK system for Initiative. I also think your use of Qualifications as "subskills" was revolutionary.

I would love to see an "evolutionary" version of Twilight using the best features from all of the previous editions of the game.

Tegyrius 04-22-2017 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaghauler (Post 74056)
That's a shame after you invested so much in TW2K13. :( Your CUF rules are second to none and I use a simplified TICK system for Initiative. I also think your use of Qualifications as "subskills" was revolutionary.

I would love to see an "evolutionary" version of Twilight using the best features from all of the previous editions of the game.

I do appreciate the words. We did most of the design work on Reflex over 2006-07, so it's been a decade... and I have, over those years, occasionally thought about what I'd do differently. The answer is "a hell of a lot." Honestly, I think the initiative system would be the first thing to go. In my playtesting and demo games, it's the hardest thing for new players to pick up, which means it's a significant barrier to entry - or a massive logistical burden on the GM. I'd also move a lot of sub-rules, like encumbrance and survival, from rigid simulations to a more narrative approach. Unfortunately, in doing that, I think I'd alienate the small percentage of the 2.0/2.2 fan base that still likes Reflex too. So I'd basically be writing a game system just for me. Not much of a return on investment in that...

- C.

.45cultist 04-23-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by swaghauler (Post 73817)

I plan to use the construction and computer net rules with V2.2. and try to modify some of the civilian careers and the final year. I will use a future timeline.

Trongard 10-18-2017 10:21 PM

SpyCraft 2.0

SpyCraft 2.0 is available from drivethrurpg for very little cost... converts T2K13 to D20...