RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Technical Questions (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=662)

headquarters 03-20-2009 03:01 AM

Technical Questions

A thread to debate the technical aspects of how stuff works -

I will start off by asking :

what would be the armour value of a standard steel shipping container -the kind that come of the boat from china - app 10 meters long ,3 m wide and 3 m tall -you have seen the kind in any number of ports you have passed or even on a flatbed truck on the road .

I am after the "generic" type that can be found everywhere .Anyone know about this ?

I am assuming they are made from cheap steel or some such and want to know what kind of cover they will provide in a firefight .

assumed as empty of course -not
stacked with kevlar vests hehe..

Mohoender 03-20-2009 05:08 AM

Nice thread. A few other questions, then?

Taking an average civilian car, what could be the stats for an up-armored version made from localy found steel plates?

It would have full plating cover and car glass would be replaced by steel plates with opening to allow the driver to see.

What would be the increase in weight? What would be the decrease in speed? What would be the level of protection? Can you think of a better type of armor?

Any idea?

chico20854 03-20-2009 06:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headquarters

what would be the armour value of a standard steel shipping container -the kind that come of the boat from china - app 10 meters long ,3 m wide and 3 m tall -you have seen the kind in any number of ports you have passed or even on a flatbed truck on the road .

I am after the "generic" type that can be found everywhere .Anyone know about this ?

I am assuming they are made from cheap steel or some such and want to know what kind of cover they will provide in a firefight .

They are generally 14 gauge steel - about 2mm thick. The walls (and roof) are not able to handle any major load - all the strength is in the end posts, as they are designed to be stacked many high. So if you bury one, its a race between the walls and the roof to see who collapses first!

They make good shelter, and you can pile sandbags (or steel plate) up around them for armor, (need some sort of structure over the roof to hold a load there) but don't count on them stopping much in the way of incoming rounds!

General Pain 03-20-2009 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohoender

Taking an average civilian car, what could be the stats for an up-armored version made from localy found steel plates?

It would have full plating cover and car glass would be replaced by steel plates with opening to allow the driver to see.

What would be the increase in weight? What would be the decrease in speed? What would be the level of protection? Can you think of a better type of armor?

Any idea?

It depends of quality of steel found and thickness (Armor Value). The T2K book has some math on this subject - weight increase is as weight of said plates - decrease in speed depends of what kind of car/truck etc its put on- some more powerfull motors would basically just have increased fuel consumption where as a armor plated mini-morris would probably have decreased speed,manouvrability/controll and increased fuel consumption.

smokewolf 03-20-2009 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohoender

Any idea?

I like the idea from Burn Notice about stuffing old yellow books (thick ass phone books) in the doors and along the interior. ;)

JHart 03-21-2009 01:27 AM

This is from here http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...TM#CHAPTER%204

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...CONEXimage.gif

Flip it and bury it.

Legbreaker 03-21-2009 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smokewolf
I like the idea from Burn Notice about stuffing old yellow books (thick ass phone books) in the doors and along the interior. ;)

Works in real life too.
Back when I was working in a gunshop, we had a small test firing "range" set up in a walk in safe which simply consisted of a few dozen old phone books. Wasn't really up to scratch for high powered rifle rounds, but for pistols and small cal rifles, it was more than sufficient.

Targan 03-21-2009 07:43 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Here are some specs and blueprints for a variety of Gichner military containers and shelters which are used by the US military and some NATO forces. I have more but these are the pdfs that are small enough to add as attachments.

pmulcahy11b 03-23-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headquarters

I did this one a long time ago (I was still in the Army at the time), but...
http://www.pmulcahy.com/misc_pages/armor_values.html