RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Can you guys test something for me. (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=735)

kato13 05-01-2009 01:44 AM

Can you guys test something for me.

http://games.juhlin.com/maps/resources/iptest.html ( I have a good sampling so no further testing is needed)

This should redirect you to a Google map based on your location.

I expect one of four results.

Map near your location.
Map within your country but not near your location.
Map outside your country.
Map at point 0,0 just off the coast of Nigeria.

Unfortunately my internal network IP is not usable for testing.

Can you guys let me know which one you guys see.

Rainbow Six 05-01-2009 02:09 AM

I got a Map outside my country - specifically Russia and Eastern Europe.

I'm at work at the minute and I think all of our internet traffic routes through a server in Amsterdam. I'll try again at home later and see if I get a different result.

Cheers

Fusilier 05-01-2009 03:03 AM

I don't get SE Asia... I get the ocean off the coast of Nigeria.

kato13 05-01-2009 03:05 AM

Don't worry about failed results. I just need to set starting map location for some of my new maps. Once you use the map it will remember your last location, so this is really only going to be a one time issue for most users. I am just trying to get an idea how successful it is for when I write the instructions.

Mohoender 05-01-2009 05:12 AM

Our politicians have been visiting Senegal lately that must be why I found myself there.:D Western Africa anyway.

Jason 05-01-2009 07:20 AM

I got the West coast of Africa, from Senegal to Angola, with a large portion of ocean.

Caradhras 05-01-2009 07:51 AM

Also somewhere off Africa :(

kato13 05-01-2009 08:03 AM

Ok guys that is a good sampling. I have double checked and many IPs are simply not databased. If I can't find your location I may make the default for my T2k map Kalisz, and for my Morrow project map central Nebraska. Again the system remembers you last location settings so it is not a huge deal in the long run.

Thanks again guys, this is something that cannot be tested easily locally.

pmulcahy11b 05-01-2009 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason
I got the West coast of Africa, from Senegal to Angola, with a large portion of ocean.

Exactly what I got.

pmulcahy11b 05-01-2009 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13
Ok guys that is a good sampling. I have double checked and many IPs are simply not databased. If I can't find your location I may make the default for my T2k map Kalisz, and for my Morrow project map central Nebraska. Again the system remembers you last location settings so it is not a huge deal in the long run.

Thanks again guys, this is something that cannot be tested easily locally.

I don't know if this matters, but Time Warner does not give me a static IP -- it does change from time to time.

kato13 05-01-2009 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
I don't know if this matters, but Time Warner does not give me a static IP -- it does change from time to time.

The results I get for your IP address are "actually we haven't a clue". Good for security I guess but bad for a gee-whiz factor of my project.

The maps I am making show such nice local details that if you see a neighborhood you are familiar with, things you recognize will really jump out at you. Like mine listed several churches and schools I was familiar with. But these are Google maps everyone is familiar with and getting to your own neighborhood is just a click/drag away.

Jason Weiser 05-01-2009 03:16 PM

I get Nigeria as well

TiggerCCW UK 05-01-2009 03:39 PM

I appear to be in Spain.:confused:

kcdusk 05-01-2009 04:00 PM

I know you have your sample, but i need to try this ...

... Sierra Leone.

kato13 05-01-2009 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcdusk

... Sierra Leone.

Any one is free to continue to test and post results and I am always glad to see additional data, I just realized early on that I was not going to get the 50% success rate I had hoped for. Well it is not my database, so the failure does not bug me, it just forced me to rethink a parameter.

pmulcahy11b 05-01-2009 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK

Are you sure you're not? [Cue Twilight Zone song]

JimmyRay73 05-01-2009 08:54 PM

Same result as several others, off the coast of Angola. Some neat city names there though. Makes me want to drop a merc game there...

Mohoender 05-02-2009 12:38 AM

Quote:

I hope you are lucky enough not to get in the' Basque country

TiggerCCW UK 05-02-2009 01:20 AM

Had a thought regarding my Spanish relocation - I have peer guardian running on my system - that might be part of the problem?

kato13 05-02-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Had a thought regarding my Spanish relocation - I have peer guardian running on my system - that might be part of the problem?

Hmmm manually tracking your IP gets me London.

http://www.google.com/maphp?ll=51.5,-0.1167&z=4&t=

This is the database I am using.
http://www.hostip.info/

When I set you IP manually in my code it goes to London. I have checked the logs and you IP is there so I can't see a external server making the request for you.

TiggerCCW UK 05-02-2009 01:53 AM

Very odd - I'm not in London either. Unless I did an awful lot of sleep walking :-)

kato13 05-02-2009 02:04 AM

Well it looks like IP geolocating is still close to Voodoo in terms of successful results.

Targan 05-02-2009 06:00 AM

Map at point 0,0 just off the coast of Nigeria.

Freaky, as I just arrived back from Melbourne. Maybe I drove too far?

kato13 05-02-2009 08:32 AM

Glad you made it back safe.

When I get closer to launch I may have to try this experiment again. All these 0 long 0 lat results are odd.

Mohoender 05-02-2009 01:18 PM

Still at Dakar.:D

pmulcahy11b 05-02-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

That's a possibility for me too, I have AVG Identity Protection running.

General Pain 05-02-2009 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcdusk

... Sierra Leone.

.... I got Liberia (aprox) he he he

bigehauser 05-03-2009 06:11 AM

Right on the money

I got my location, give or take a few klicks.

kato13 05-03-2009 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigehauser
I got my location, give or take a few klicks.

Good to know the code gets it right at least once. I expect the best results we would get is the local hub for a user's subnet. Usually within a few miles/klicks.