RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   T2K / Post-Apocalyptic Movies (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=638)

General Pain 03-10-2009 03:47 AM

T2K / Post-Apocalyptic Movies

I suggest a thread dedicated to post-apcalyptic Movies...

- I just found this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation_Alley_(film)) after reading up on cockroaches for food in HQs T2K campaign....yes it's really going bad in his campaign now....my character has soon eaten up all his luxury food......so alternative food sources must be researched...

Can't give a review since I have to download it when I get home.

Other Alternatives : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dystopian_films

TiggerCCW UK 03-10-2009 04:05 AM

Awesome film. Giant blue scorpions really are scary :)

headquarters 03-10-2009 04:18 AM

damnation alley

not my favourite post apoc flick - but passable .I didnt like the way they depicted the whole PLANET as being destroyed -but there were some interesting -and very cheesy - dangers out there ,cavemen rednecks who were rapist/cannibals,killer bugs and dangerous storms etc .

I recommend the Jericho series of course ,even if it ends weakly.
Also the slasher "Tooth and Nail" is alright .

"Les Temps du Loup" is a really good one -but oh so depressing...

Targan 03-10-2009 05:24 AM

I liked the series Jeramiah.

Rainbow Six 03-10-2009 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan
I liked the series Jeramiah.

I'd second that...I found Jeremiah an excellent source of ideas for a T2K campaign.

TiggerCCW UK 03-10-2009 07:05 AM

I might as well get the usual suggestions out of the way as well;

Threads
By Dawns Early Light
The Day After
The War Game
Red Dawn
The Postman
The Dead Letters

Think that covers a lot of the ones that normally come up in this sort of list, and of course The Road is coming out soon.

Mohoender 03-10-2009 12:19 PM

I'll suggest a few:

Malevil (The movie by "Christian de Chalonge" and the book by "Robert Merle").

Delicatessen and the City of lost Children by Jean-Pierre Jenet

Virus (Fukkatsu no Hi) by Kenji Fukasaku (free of right on the Web).

Titan A.E. (Science fiction but I love the drawing).

Surpervolcano (BBC). Not really a post-appoc movie but I find the idea to be an interesting alternative to a regular T2K. By the way they forgot something in that movie. From what I know most ICBM bases are fairly close to the area. Wouldn't such an important erruption have a chance to trigger the missiles.:D

Grave of the fireflies (Hotaru no Haka). Again not entirelly a post-apoc movie but two kids in the ravaged japan of 1945 (after the bombing of Kobe). If you are depressed and want to watch it, don't forget to lock your weapons away before (IMO).

Nausicaa of the valley of the wind by Hayao Miyazaki (Yes I love Japanese animated movies).

Cloverfield. That's a monster movie but it's impressive.

28 days later (I haven't seen the other)

The last fight (I don't know if its the proper title, french title is "Le dernier combat") by Luc Besson. A mute black and white movie released in 1983. The action is taking plance after a nuclear war.

copeab 03-10-2009 03:56 PM

Radioactive Dreams: A very campy post-apoc movie that ends with a dance routine. Enjoyable, but only really useful for the most loosely-run T2K campaigns.

Traveller: A pulp post-apoc book series of the mid-1980's. Got really weird toward the end of the series, including the main character making a trip through the seven layers of Hell in an effort to recover his dead girlfriend.

Legbreaker 03-10-2009 06:20 PM

"On the Beaches" could be worth a look to see how society self destructs in the face of inevidable death.

A search of "post holocaust" and "movies" brings up a hell of a lot of hits.
One which might be of interest is http://movies.msn.com/movies/2007win...ostapocalypse/

Raellus 03-10-2009 07:43 PM

The Road Warrior is one of my all time personal favs. I also really dug Children of Men. The firefight at the end just screamed T2K.

If you haven't read The Road, do so before the film comes out.

Matt Wiser 03-10-2009 10:14 PM

The two that would actually be best for T2K in terms of the actual war would be By Dawn's Early Light and Red Dawn. Lots of ideas for T2K in both flicks.

Marc 03-11-2009 05:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus
The Road Warrior is one of my all time personal favs. I also really dug Children of Men. The firefight at the end just screamed T2K.

"Children of Men" is one of the best movies I've seen in these last years.

TiggerCCW UK 03-11-2009 06:10 AM

Have to agree with that - Children of Men was awesome. The final gun fight was an impressive scene, as was the 'marauder' ambush when they were driving to the resistance base. Good soundtrack as well - I love the Franco Battiato (spelling?) cover of Ruby Tuesday.

Another camp post apoc classic is Hell Comes To Frogtown starring wrestler 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper as the titular Sam Hell. Absolute gem :)

Raellus 03-11-2009 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiggerCCW UK
Another camp post apoc classic is Hell Comes To Frogtown starring wrestler 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper as the titular Sam Hell. Absolute gem :)

I haven't seen it but I can't imagine that it can compare with his work in the sci-fi thriller They Live.;)

Raellus 06-27-2009 02:58 PM

Waltz With Bashir

Not exactly a post-apoc flick, but I just watched the animated film Waltz with Bashir about the Israeli invasion of Lebanon in '82. It was quite good. It follows a man trying to recover his memories of serving in the invasion. He interviews various vets trying to jog his own memory. What follows is a series of vignettes, some tragic, some brutal, some comic, and some surreal. All of this leads up to the last 18 minutes of the film which examines the Sabra and Shatilla [sic] refugee camp massacres. It's an unusual but powerful war film. I recommend it.

Ramjam 06-27-2009 08:22 PM

They are re-making Red Dawn with a 2010 release date by the way (and i quote Wikipedia) :

'Two top executives at MGM, Harry Sloan and Mary Parent, announced that a remake of Red Dawn is in the early stages of pre-production in May 2008 at the Festival de Cannes. This was announced along with a big-budget rebuild of RoboCop, which director Darren Aronofsky among others has recently been in to discuss. The remake of Red Dawn is slated to be directed by Dan Bradley, who has previously worked as a second unit director and stunt coordinator on films such as The Bourne Ultimatum, Spiderman 3 and the Quantum of Solace. MGM has announced that Red Dawn will be remade "keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we're in". In a further announcement the same month, Dan Bradley has been confirmed as the director with Carl Ellsworth, screenwriter of Red Eye and Disturbia writing the updated screenplay. Ellsworth will be working from a story written by Jeremy Passmore. Vincent Newman (A Man Apart) is also acting in a producer capacity. Australian Chris Hemsworth has been cast in a lead role.

Ellsworth has said:

"The tone is going to be very intense, very much keeping in mind the post-9/11 world that we’re in. As ‘Red Dawn’ scared the heck out of people in 1984, we feel that the world is kind of already filled with a lot of paranoia and unease, so why not scare the hell out of people again? It was later revealed that the Chinese would be the invaders and they would be aided by the Russians later on."

Joining Hemsworth are Josh Peck, Adrianne Palicki with a possible setting of Spokane, Washington. Tony Gilroy, who wrote The Bourne Trilogy and Micheal Clayton will do a rewrite of script.'

General Pain 06-27-2009 11:05 PM

Lots of good suggerstions but..

how about you post a link to IMDB (www.imdb.com) and perhaps your own rating from one to ten. It would be a lot easier for others to find/buy the movies in question.

kato13 06-27-2009 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramjam
They are re-making Red Dawn with a 2010 release date by the way

I was really excited about this until I realized, that now I would be one of the guys in the camp and not one of the Wolverines.

"Boys! Avenge me! Aveeeeenge me!!!" (just practicing ;) )

Cdnwolf 06-28-2009 05:54 AM

Resident Evil 2 where they are trapped in the city.

And I can't believe no one has mentioned the classics of classics...

Planet of the Apes

And don't forget Charleton Heston in Omega Man.

Marc 06-28-2009 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13
I was really excited about this until I realized, that now I would be one of the guys in the camp and not one of the Wolverines.

These last years, words like “remake”, “prequel/sequel” and “based on” make me shudder... Specially when referring to something I’ve previously enjoyed.The worst thing is that, although suspecting an imminent disaster, my friends and I always end up in the queue of the theater ticket office, smiling and shrugging our shoulders...ready for the disaster, but with a tiny and insignificant spark of hope. Of course, at the end of the movie, nobody will admit the previous existence of this spark...

Ahhh...Now I’m starting to feel the tragedy floating around me... I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. ...

pmulcahy11b 06-28-2009 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Pain
I just found this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damnation_Alley_(film)) after reading up on cockroaches for food in HQs T2K campaign....

You might be interested that I have my take on the Landmaster detailed out in T2K 2.2 terms here:
http://www.pmulcahy.com/best_stuff_t...never_were.htm

pmulcahy11b 06-28-2009 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13

Me and my Basic Training buddies were really hacked off about the release date on that one -- we most likely weren't going to see each other in a long time, if ever, and it was opening only two weeks after we finished Basic!

pmulcahy11b 06-28-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc
These last years, words like “remake”, “prequel/sequel” and “based on” make me shudder... Specially when referring to something I’ve previously enjoyed.The worst thing is that, although suspecting an imminent disaster, my friends and I always end up in the queue of the theater ticket office, smiling and shrugging our shoulders...ready for the disaster, but with a tiny and insignificant spark of hope. Of course, at the end of the movie, nobody will admit the previous existence of this spark...

Ahhh...Now I’m starting to feel the tragedy floating around me... I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. ...

Remakes and sequels almost never match the original. And no movie I've ever seen has matched the book version. Who's better at special effects, after all -- the wizards in Hollywood or your own mind?

Targan 06-28-2009 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Remakes and sequels almost never match the original. And no movie I've ever seen has matched the book version. Who's better at special effects, after all -- the wizards in Hollywood or your own mind?

I was very, very happy with the Lord of the Rings films - my biggest gripe was that the Dunedain had beards in the film (high-born Dunedain can't grow beards due as they have some elvish blood).

natehale1971 06-29-2009 12:50 AM

There was a moive i saw along time ago, it was on TV, and had been cut up pretty bad. It had a group in an underground facility that had survived a nuclear war (they didn't say how they survived the war, but i think they had cryogenically been frozen). But they sent out numerious recon teams to find help, and the movie had one of the last recon team going out. one had a combined crossbow and they traveled in a buggy like vehicle. when i saw it i thought it was a Morrow Project movie... Has anyone else seen it?

General Pain 06-29-2009 01:28 AM

a good read - and a lot of clasics

http://snarkerati.com/movie-news/the...s-of-all-time/

Marc 06-29-2009 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by General Pain

Great link General!
Mmmmm... i didn't remember "Strange days". I enjoied it very much!!

Raellus 07-07-2009 09:36 AM

Just saw Defiance, starring Daniel Craig (James Bond) and Liev Shrieber. It's about Jewish refugees and partisans in Belorussia in WWII. I was disappointed. The battle sequences were poorly done and some of the acting was pretty shmalzy (is that Yiddish?).

On the plus side, it did give some me some ideas of how to deal with refugees and partisans in T2K.

Marc 07-13-2009 06:56 PM

By dawn’s early light

Following some of the suggestions of my fellow posters, I saw “By dawn’s early light” this last week. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0099197/ I liked it. As some good film of this genre, it causes you to move uncomfortably on your seat while the domino effect of the preplotted defensive responses seems to carry unrelentingly the humankind to the abyss of a total nuclear exchange... The human behaviour always being the only unknown factor in the equation.

It’s difficult to assess the weight of individual decisions in the activation and deactivation of the mechanisms of a nuclear response. The Mutual Assured Destruction doctrine can seem logical over an strategic map. A scientific mechanism to keep the scales in an unstable balance point, once two powerful players discover themselves armed to the teeth for the fear to the other. But an accident, a third force in the shadows, terrorism or the misjudgement of the facts by some link in the chain can easily displace the scales. It’s human. And only a human reaction of someone with enough courage and sense to emerge at least one moment from the programmed response could avoid the disaster or, at least, save as many lives as possible once the blind and logical mechanism is activated...

Well, thanks for the reference. A good movie.

Rainbow Six 07-14-2009 06:06 AM

Has anyone seen "Terminator:Salvation"?

I missed it at the cinema, so will probably pick it up when it comes out on DVD, but I wondered if anyone had any opinions on it?

Also, if you like your post apocalyptic landscape with relatively few survivors, there's "I Am Legend" with Will Smith (yes, I know it's a remake!) ;)