RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   US Air Defence Vehicles (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=2920)

James Langham 06-27-2011 09:52 AM

US Air Defence Vehicles

1 Attachment(s)
I've spent some time thinking what air defence vehicles are likely to be available for US troops in TW2000. First draft of my thoughts.

dragoon500ly 06-27-2011 11:58 AM

Nice, very nice indeed.

James Langham 06-27-2011 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoon500ly (Post 35460)
Nice, very nice indeed.

Thanks but the folks at GDW did a lot of the work on this one, I'm just pulling most of it together and adding a backstory or two plus the odd extra vehicle.

If there are any budding artists out there who can draw the missing vehicles please let me know.

pmulcahy11b 06-27-2011 01:58 PM

I'm not sure if I missed something in one of your posts, but have you ever considered a web site? You have a lot of great material there.

Raellus 06-27-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 35464)
I'm not sure if I missed something in one of your posts, but have you ever considered a web site? You have a lot of great material there.

I second this suggestion. We'll be moving soon but I'll also ask Kato if he'd be willing to add a "Users" section for you [James] so that all your excellent material will be collected in one spot in the forum index/thread map.

kato13 06-27-2011 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 35469)
I second this suggestion. We'll be moving soon but I'll also ask Kato if he'd be willing to add a "Users" section for you [James] so that all your excellent material will be collected in one spot in the forum index/thread map.

Updating the "Attachment map" is easier so I will probably do that first (maybe this weekend). The thread map is harder to update so that will need to stay up in the air for now.

James Langham 06-30-2011 08:59 AM

New and improved....

1 Attachment(s)
Slightly longer version adding a few details and a vehicle I missed earlier...

James Langham 01-02-2012 01:51 PM

Updated version

1 Attachment(s)
With my usual ability to find things unrelated to what I was looking for I ended up expanding this again while working on British MBTs - one picture can lead to a multitude of oddities to research!

ArmySGT. 01-02-2012 06:13 PM

Just wanted to point out that the M998 is one of the many configurations of the modular HMMWV.

The ADA system place in the back and mounted to the bed is the AN/TWQ-1 Avenger and also here.

Nice work by the way.

schnickelfritz 01-02-2012 07:25 PM

Excellent work James!

My only correction is that the M917 "Westmorland" should be spelled "Westmoreland" if named after the late US Commander in Vietnam, William Westmoreland.

The Challenge magazine adventures in Ohio mention the use of the M42 Duster SPAA by (I think) Ohio NG or State troops.

I will agree that the Duster vehicles would be hopelessly obsolete by T2K, but once fast movers disappear, the 40mm would be very deadly in the fire support role or convoy defense role. I myself wouldn't mind one on call as an infantry commander.

Seeing a variety of twin and quad 50 vehicles and turrets in the hands of private collectors I can imagine these being the linchpin of larget town defenses in the post TDM era, but I don't think they would be common enough to include here. I could be wrong, though.

Great work!

-Dave

simonmark6 01-03-2012 02:14 AM

I really enjoyed reading that, James, thanks for sharing.