RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Favorite Light Utility Vehicle (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=6100)

Raellus 06-13-2020 10:56 AM

Favorite Light Utility Vehicle

I deliberately didn't get super specific with model numbers since so many variations of each of these vehicles exist, but the focus is on Cold War-era vehicles, pre-1997. You can specify specific models in a follow-up post, if you'd like to be more specific than the options allow. Cheers!

Benjamin 06-14-2020 08:23 AM

XR311 is my favorite. The G.I. Joe V.A.M.P. is just the thing for every discerning Twilight PC group.

Raellus 06-14-2020 11:53 AM

V.A.M.P. it up!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin (Post 83787)
XR311 is my favorite. The G.I. Joe V.A.M.P. is just the thing for every discerning Twilight PC group.

Great pick! Don't forget to vote "Other".

I wonder if/how the XR311 could have made its way into the U.S. military (or allied militaries) in the T2k timeline.

Perhaps China ordered it (AT versions especially, like the one mountin a six recoilless rifle cluster) as a stopgap measure after the Soviet invasion?

-

StainlessSteelCynic 06-14-2020 09:36 PM

I'd pick a Unimog, probably the S404 model as there were plenty of them in the West German military at the time but I'd just as happily take the S427 model. Even though that model had only just started production in 1985, there should still be lots of them around to pillage for spares.
The other reason for taking the S427 was that it had an enclosed cab and not the canvas roof open cab of the S404.

Legbreaker 06-14-2020 10:46 PM

I honestly can't pick anything. For me, the best light vehicle would be the one you have until you can get your hands on something a little more suitable.

cawest 06-15-2020 09:05 AM

just a van. it can carry cargo or you can sleep in it when bad weather rolls in.

Raellus 06-15-2020 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cawest (Post 83805)
just a van. it can carry cargo or you can sleep in it when bad weather rolls in.

Fair enough, but vans aren't really known for their off-road capability. You'd pretty much be road-bound in a van. The options on the board all give a party at least a modicum of off-road mobility, some considerably more.

cawest 06-15-2020 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 83806)
Fair enough, but vans aren't really known for their off-road capability. You'd pretty much be road-bound in a van. The options on the board all give a party at least a modicum of off-road mobility, some considerably more.

Fare enough... how about a M109 Van :D

StainlessSteelCynic 06-15-2020 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cawest (Post 83807)
Fare enough... how about a M109 Van :D

Well if it's tracked vehicles you want, just park your VW Combi in the back of the M548. Done! :D

Olefin 06-16-2020 09:50 AM

FYI if we are talking about the US there would be all kinds of sport utility vehicles that could be nominated

Raellus 06-16-2020 10:55 AM

Rationale and Correction

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olefin (Post 83810)
FYI if we are talking about the US there would be all kinds of sport utility vehicles that could be nominated

-too many to fit in one poll, so I stuck with military vehicles.

Other countries have trucks/SUVs too, BTW. The first image in Osprey's New Vanguard volume on Technicals is a Dodge truck operated by the PFLP in Amman, Jordan in 1970. Various militias employed various makes and models of trucks (CJ-series Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys, Land Rovers, and Toyota Land Cruisers, to name a few) technicals in Lebanon in the 1980s (widely considered the birthplace of the technical). Chad and Libya (especially the latter) made extensive use of civilian model truck-based technicals in the Great Toyota War of the late 1980s. And then, of course, the technical became famous in Somalia in the mid 1990s.

It's not just paramilitaries that operate trucks and SUVs outside of the U.S. When I lived in Ecuador in the late '80s, a lot of upper class [civilian] families owned SUVs (Toyotas, Mitsubishis, and Chevys, predominantly, with a few older model Land Rovers still kicking around). So, although they were/are most common there, SUVs and trucks are not exclusive to the U.S.A.

rcaf_777 06-17-2020 10:21 AM

Volkswagen Type 183

Olefin 06-17-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 83811)
-too many to fit in one poll, so I stuck with military vehicles.

Other countries have trucks/SUVs too, BTW. The first image in Osprey's New Vanguard volume on Technicals is a Dodge truck operated by the PFLP in Amman, Jordan in 1970. Various militias employed various makes and models of trucks (CJ-series Jeeps, Dodges, Chevys, Land Rovers, and Toyota Land Cruisers, to name a few) technicals in Lebanon in the 1980s (widely considered the birthplace of the technical). Chad and Libya (especially the latter) made extensive use of civilian model truck-based technicals in the Great Toyota War of the late 1980s. And then, of course, the technical became famous in Somalia in the mid 1990s.

It's not just paramilitaries that operate trucks and SUVs outside of the U.S. When I lived in Ecuador in the late '80s, a lot of upper class [civilian] families owned SUVs (Toyotas, Mitsubishis, and Chevys, predominantly, with a few older model Land Rovers still kicking around). So, although they were/are most common there, SUVs and trucks are not exclusive to the U.S.A.

I agree with you completely and amend my previous statement - and for those wanting to set a campaign in Africa by 2001 there literally is every kind of modified SUV technical/gun truck you can think of in use. They would make up the bulk of the Somali mobile forces being used for everything from APC's to anti-aircraft to anti-tank equipped SUV's - even ones with light mortars mounted to them. Ditto for much of the Rwandan Army and for the LRA as well.

Raellus 07-06-2020 04:36 PM

I appreciate how one can't see the results of the poll until one has taken it.

I'd been holding off, but to bump it (and see the results to date), I made my pick.

I chose the Humvee for a few reasons:

1. It's on the cover of T2K v1!

2. For the most common model, its relatively easy to mount heavy weapons to (and provide a modicum of protection for the gunner with a lightly armored gunshield).

3. Of the other options, it's relatively easy to add "hillbilly armor" to.

4. I used to think Humvees looked really cool, especially when they were rolling around Panama during Just Cause, '89.

rcaf_777 07-08-2020 07:37 AM

M561, 6×6 tactical 1¼-ton truck AKA the Gamma Goat

pmulcahy11b 07-03-2022 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rcaf_777 (Post 83962)
M561, 6×6 tactical 1¼-ton truck AKA the Gamma Goat

We had some of those in the National Guard in the early 1980s. They are excellent rough-terrain vehicles -- when they work. They are notorious for their unreliability.

Ckosacranoid 07-07-2022 10:18 PM

How about the VW bug, the most common car in the world and super easy to fix and get parts for everywhere at the time. It can carry some people and gear and get decent mileage. add a small trailer to haul the still and some extra stuff and easy to lift with a couple of people and pull out of the mud and it is air-cooled so good to drive anywhere.

Homer 07-08-2022 08:46 AM

1988 series Toyota Hi-Lux crew cab 4x4 diesel with fording kit. Complemented with a pre-1995 4Runner (same automotives, different body). Good enough for illiterate tribesmen in a wasteland to run for 20+ years with minimal maintenance. Dimensionally smaller than a HMMWV for tight spaces. Plus a little lower signature than a military utility vehicle. You can fit a pintle, wing mount, and outward facing troop seats if needed. Parts are widely available.

Raellus 07-15-2022 06:26 PM

Stranger Things

Two Cold War-era vans with civilian and military variants appear in Stranger Things, Season 4, one from either side of the Iron Curtain.

Representing NATO, we have the venerable Volkswagen Type 3 Transporter.

For the Warsaw Pact, we have the UAZ-452 'Bread Box'.

https://www.drive.com.au/caradvice/s...52-bread-loaf/

If you had to pick one of these two military vans, which one would you take and why?

-