RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chat Option? (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=936)

Cdnwolf 06-29-2009 02:26 PM

Chat Option?

I've been on a couple of forums like this and some have a chat option? Do you know if that could be set up here?

kato13 06-29-2009 02:40 PM

If you could show me an example I would have a better idea if I could duplicate it. My initial thought is that it would have to wait until I upgrade the Forum software later this year.

Grimace 06-29-2009 05:49 PM

An example:

http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/index.php

We've got things rigged so that when you're signed up on the site it automatically signs you into the chat when you click on the Chat Room. Not sure if you can get to the Chat Room without logging on, as I haven't tried, but you might be able to.

Hope this helps.

kato13 06-29-2009 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimace
An example:

http://www.wegfansite.com/forum/index.php

We've got things rigged so that when you're signed up on the site it automatically signs you into the chat when you click on the Chat Room. Not sure if you can get to the Chat Room without logging on, as I haven't tried, but you might be able to.

Hope this helps.

That is interesting and defiantly possible. As for a quick implementation, it would require an upgrade of the forum software and the attachment of additional components. I will look at including a chat when I migrate us to a new server (probably some time in the next 3 months).

My only reluctance is that chat is not permanent and therefore discussions which take place there would not enter our archive. Not a huge concern but there is the possibility of useful information only being shared between chat participants and then quickly forgotten.

jester 06-29-2009 07:18 PM

The only one I know for sure is Rondaks Portal.

Cdnwolf 06-29-2009 07:52 PM

After I posted I thought more about it and unless someone records whats said, sometimes great ideas don't get passed on from chat rooms.

Legbreaker 06-29-2009 07:55 PM

Considering that we've only usually got a handful of people online at once, I'd think the usefulness of a realtime chatroom would be limited.

Is it worth the trouble installing the necessary components when only 3-4 people (on average) might actually be using it?

Cdnwolf 06-29-2009 08:00 PM

:D Its usually only Kato and myself on....

SHHH don't tell anyone... but we are deeply madly in love!!! :D

(Or we both desparately need a real life!!)

kato13 06-29-2009 08:00 PM

From an admin perspective there are strengths to chat. It might help me transfer knowledge on how to do something to users. Also something less permanent might be less intimidating to lurkers, leading to a little more interaction from them. On the downside is the lack of an archive an the fact that most of the chat servers run remotely (preventing me from improvising one).

My general philosophy is a textbook example of "no step taken in haste". I will look over chat integration, assess the overall impact and probably come back to you guys after I have had time to digest the information.

kato13 06-29-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cdnwolf
:D Its usually only Kato and myself on....

SHHH don't tell anyone... but we are deeply madly in love!!! :D

(Or we both desparately need a real life!!)

LOL

again people are talking about this "real life". I will have to investigate what that is.

kato13 06-29-2009 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legbreaker
Considering that we've only usually got a handful of people online at once, I'd think the usefulness of a realtime chatroom would be limited.

Is it worth the trouble installing the necessary components when only 3-4 people (on average) might actually be using it?

That is a good point. The only place I can see it being really helpful is in support. Except if you are underestimating the possibility of explosive growth ;)

Grimace 06-29-2009 08:28 PM

Well, as long as you have have the thing that shows on the front page of the forums how many people are in chat (see link I provided), you'd be surprised how many people you can get. I just got done with a chat where 11 people from all over the world all noticed that there were more people in chat, so they joined in.

There's times on here where I've seen 5 or 6 people on this site when I was on. If they were in chat, it could be a neat way of shootin' the breeze.

But it is work to get that working, so I won't fault you if you don't do it.

and BTW, I noticed you signed up on the board, kato...did you have to in order to get to the chat?

kato13 06-29-2009 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimace
and BTW, I noticed you signed up on the board, kato...did you have to in order to get to the chat?

I think so. I did not try to hack the chat but there was no link as a non member. Once I registered it showed up, which is what I expected.

Targan 06-29-2009 10:19 PM

Hah! I think a chat option on this forum would be cool. I'd love to hear all of your dulcet tones :D

TiggerCCW UK 06-30-2009 01:38 AM

Personally I think a chat option would be a bad idea - I'd just lose more of my life to the forum :)

avantman42 06-30-2009 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13
My only reluctance is that chat is not permanent and therefore discussions which take place there would not enter our archive. Not a huge concern but there is the possibility of useful information only being shared between chat participants and then quickly forgotten.

If you could implement some sort of logging facility then that'd mitigate that issue, though if lurkers are attracted to the ephemeral nature of chat, then that might put them off.

kato13 06-30-2009 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avantman42
If you could implement some sort of logging facility then that'd mitigate that issue, though if lurkers are attracted to the ephemeral nature of chat, then that might put them off.

Most of the chats run through a remote server. I would never have access to the text to log it. Some of them might have a user save option which could then be reposted, but that seems like a hassle.

avantman42 06-30-2009 02:45 AM

Quote:

Most of the chats run through a remote server. I would never have access to the text to log it. Some of them might have a user save option which could then be reposted, but that seems like a hassle.

I haven't seen how chats on forums tend to work, but would it be possible to have a bot to do the logging? Certainly that would be possible if the remote server is IRC.

kato13 06-30-2009 02:52 AM

Wow I have not thought about logging an IRC chat in over a decade. That is a possibility if that is the basis of the chat architecture. I'll take a look at what the easily integratable options are (since we want to keep a unified login).

avantman42 06-30-2009 03:01 AM

Quote:

Wow I have not thought about logging an IRC chat in over a decade. That is a possibility if that is the basis of the chat architecture. I'll take a look at what the easily integratable options are (since we want to keep a unified login).

I still use IRC ;) It may be possible to do something similar with other services, though.

kato13 06-30-2009 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avantman42
I still use IRC ;) It may be possible to do something similar with other services, though.

IRC is great. I remember the jump from unix talk to IRC. I used to trade files on IRC all the time. But I was an early adapter for ICQ and with so many things on the web, IRC went into my personal dustbin (just not enough time). I actually bailed on usenet last year (again due to time constraints), never thought that would happen.