RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Morrow Project/ Project Phoenix Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Morrow Project Nomenclature (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=1139)

natehale1971 08-11-2009 12:15 AM

Morrow Project Nomenclature
 
I'm trying to come up with how the Project would name each of it's bases.

We have Prime Base, the national headquarters for the entire project. Thus it's name, PRIME Base. And we have the name of the automated Regional Supply Base Delta that is located somewhere in western Kentucky. We also have Commo Base Kilo Echo as an example of a manned communications facilities...

But what kind of names should we use for the other bases?

I had thought of naming bases after the 'greek' alphabet to fit into the regional supply base Delta. But i really think that should only be used for the names of the automated supply bases.

mikeo80 08-11-2009 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natehale1971 (Post 12146)
I'm trying to come up with how the Project would name each of it's bases.

We have Prime Base, the national headquarters for the entire project. Thus it's name, PRIME Base. And we have the name of the automated Regional Supply Base Delta that is located somewhere in western Kentucky. We also have Commo Base Kilo Echo as an example of a manned communications facilities...

But what kind of names should we use for the other bases?

I had thought of naming bases after the 'greek' alphabet to fit into the regional supply base Delta. But i really think that should only be used for the names of the automated supply bases.

I agree with this nomenclature. In one game we had a Automated Supply Base in Eastern North Carolina that was called Epsilon.

The naming of teams does not seem to follow a set pattern.

In the games I have been in, we typically run our teams in and around NC (where we live). We use NC - R/S/M/E (for the type of team) - ##

natehale1971 08-11-2009 03:58 PM

I have come up with a set nomenclature for the teams that the new owners of the Morrow Project has actually asked if they can use along with some of the other stuff as well.

two digit state code, then code for team type, then the team number... I even posted examples using the teams that had been used in all of the modules that i've got.

example...

NC-R-09 would be North Carolina Recon Team 09. the ninth recon team assigned to the state of North Carolina. if you get a chance to check out the Combined Operations Group it gives you an example of how i set up the team nomenclatures.

kato13 08-11-2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by natehale1971 (Post 12181)
example...

NC-R-09 would be North Carolina Recon Team 09. the ninth recon team assigned to the state of North Carolina.

While those are fantastic from a management perspective, that type of code could be a hindrance from a security perspective. Lets say the KFS secret police finds the cache for KY-R-11. They then know that there are at least 10 other Recon teams within their state borders. It gets worse if the teams are placed in some type of order. (north to south/east to west, or clockwise or such)

natehale1971 08-11-2009 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13 (Post 12182)
While those are fantastic from a management perspective, that type of code could be a hindrance from a security perspective. Lets say the KFS secret police finds the cache for KY-R-11. They then know that there are at least 10 other Recon teams within their state borders. It gets worse if the teams are placed in some type of order. (north to south/east to west, or clockwise or such)

The only problem is that the KFS didn't exist when the project came into being... And being the bastard child of a group of industralists the nomenclature would be simple and easy to understand... i had contemplated dividing each state into numbered districts and the number in the team ID was coresponded with the district the team 'embedded' when placed in cryo... but then you could then end up with more than one team of the same speciality ending up with the same number. So i came up with something that would have a unique ID number.

The number could be the order that the team had been emplaced in a combined operation group (example 01 could have be the Command and Control Team, while 09 could have been the first recon team).

kato13 08-12-2009 05:20 AM

I still feel that it is a security risk to go with incremental numbers. It does not have to be KFS it could be a newspaper reporter or an ATF official who runs across the number. If a reporter comes across TX-R-01 and TX-R-24 and puts together what that means, they could possibly extrapolate the overall size of the project.

natehale1971 08-12-2009 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13 (Post 12207)
I still feel that it is a security risk to go with incremental numbers. It does not have to be KFS it could be a newspaper reporter or an ATF official who runs across the number. If a reporter comes across TX-R-01 and TX-R-24 and puts together what that means, they could possibly extrapolate the overall size of the project.

That's always possible, no matter what kind of method you use outside of the one that had originally been used by the writers of MP. But i have been told that even they didn't have a reason why they provided names to the teams. but i had always felt that with the fact that the Council for Tomorrow had controls over all the different kinds of organizations that would have 'blown the whistle' on the Project, that protected them from that. plus we have evidence that even the federal government has been taking part in keeping any news of the project from getting out since the Federal Government launched the Snake-Eaters to keep an eye on the project.

But we have used the same process for the numbering in the US Navy for ships and submarines (SSN, SSBN, CVN, ect.).

We really need to remember that it's not been until recently with the internet that we have gotten alternatives to the mainstream media (take for example, post-WW2 the situation in Germany with the allies not providing food and medical to the German civilians in occupied Germany). and if the mainstream media didn't follow a story it either died or became part of the 'conspiracy-of-the-week' fringe group that exists out there that the mainstream really enjoys presenting as a bunch of crazies that shouldn't be taken seriously. Such as the 'Roswell-alien-crash' types, the 'aliens-abducted-me-and stuck things in my butt' types, 'the Bush Admin orchestrated 9/11' and the 'moon-landing-was-faked' groups.

Now, I've always assumed that the Council for Tomorrow was able to use it's connections and / or control over the national media to keep any mention of the project for getting out or even to discredit anyone who tried to go public with any possible leaks of information. Kind of like in the Nick Cage movie 'National Treasure'-series of movies where you had some members of the Freemasons still in positions in the government who where able to cover up all kinds of things (the President's Book-of-Secrets or the fact that Ben Gates and his team where able to keep from going to prison after stealing the US Constitution for example).

In my notes on the Council for Tomorrow, the missing tapes made by President Nixon that caused so much trouble for him dealt with him being briefed about the Project... And to keep any 'Official' records that would be able to be effected by the laws on 'release of information' getting to that data.

Of course alot of this does goes back into an aspect of the project that very few take into consideration... The Public Relations efforts that would be launched once the project goes active.

I've worked out the Project 'news sheets' that would take the place of 'news papers' that would be produced by the project to keep the country informed on all of the different programs that the project would be launching, and keep the public 'informed' on how 'well' the project is progressing.

Is part of the Project would have networks that would distribute news sheets, radio and TV news reports.. but i still haven't come up with how it would be organized.

Traveller 09-02-2009 08:44 PM

For my own game, I use a two-four digit alpha-numeric system, that identifies group and team number, regardless of location/team type.

These Alpha/Numeric call signs are the basic team/unit identifiers within the Project, and are used in radio communications, written and electronic correspondence, and other media. For example the 2nd Recon Team in Texas is known as Recon Team A-10, or simply A-10. The 3rd MARS Team in Kentucky is known as MARS Team K-98, or simply K-98.

As well, MARS Force units are identified by a two character Alpha prefix ZM (Zulu Mike) denoting them as Regional MARS assets, with a two digit numeric suffix; the first digit denoting the specific region they are assigned to and the second digit representing their specific team number. For example, ZM-30 would indicate the MARS-One/Command Team for MARS Force 3 (Region III). ZM-26 on the other hand would indicate the Mortar Support Team of MARS Force 2 (Region II).

Bases also use the two-four digit alpha-numeric identifiers are used by the Project to identify Support Division assets and the other Project Special-Purpose teams. Examples include:

Project Launch Facility (UL-10);
Project Hospital Installations (VF-1-10); and
Project Farm Groups (XF-1-10)

As well, Support Teams have designators such as:

Admin/Liaison Teams (DL-##).
Supply Base Teams (DS-##).
Maintenance/Recovery Teams (DR-##).

I have others of course, but I think you get the idea.

Anyway, I've found this works for me over the years; your results may vary...

Cheers!
Traveller


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.