RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Most Valuable Civilian Trade in T2k (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=6396)

Raellus 05-14-2021 10:23 AM

Most Valuable Civilian Trade in T2k

Discussion of the practical utility of civilian player-characters in T2k got me thinking about what civilian skills might shine in a T2kU, both theoretically (general post-apocalypse) and practically (in a game-play sense). There's a bit of overlap (machinist & millwright; pipefitter & plumber) in the poll, and a few omissions for the sake of brevity (aviation mechanic, formwork technician).

EDIT: Trades in this context are professions requiring trade school, or vocational programs (like CTE here in the States), or apprenticeships, as opposed to professions traditionally requiring a university degree.

I probably should have included rig technician.

Please share your reasoning in the comments.

-

kato13 05-14-2021 11:29 AM

Chemist (Edit not commonwealth definition)

One of the central pillars of the industrial revolution was the evolution of chemistry.

Raellus 05-14-2021 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13 (Post 87838)
Chemist (Edit not commonwealth definition)

One of the central pillars of the industrial revolution was the evolution of chemistry.

I don't disagree, but I see chemist as a white-collar profession (something requiring a college education). That's for another poll. ;)

-

swaghauler 05-14-2021 02:04 PM

You are missing the singular most important vocational trade in the world...

FARMER.

There's a reason high schools call it VOCATIONAL AGRICULTURE or VOAG for short.

Another issue I see in forums is the distinction between SKILL and TRADE. A TRADE is actually a collection of SKILLS needed to perform a given set of tasks. The COMBINATION OF SPECIFIC SKILLS forms a TRADE. There is a bit of confusion about this in a LOT of forums that I'm in. For example "boilermaker" and "pipefitter" are basically exactly the same trade. BOTH work with the following skills to assemble and maintain HIGH PRESSURE gas and fluid assemblies:

Welding (the pipes)
Mechanics (the valves and regulators)
Electrical (regulators, sensors, and pumps)
Carpentry (support structures, assembly fittings to hold pipe being welded)
Engineering (mechanical for pumps and proper PSI on pipes)
And many use diagnostic tools and sensors in their jobs (Computer operations).

While a residential Plumber might have:

Welding (TIG welding or brazing using oxy or butane torch for copper or stainless pipes)
Mechanics (pumps, water heaters, water softeners)
Carpentry (supporting structure, fixing sinks and bathroom floors)
Electrical (wiring pumps, controls, and sensors)

So picking what type of TRADE is most important is going to be VERY difficult because of the overlapping skills sets that the various TRADES often have. I believe that the Trades are poorly represented in Twilight because the civilian skills are not often thought about during play.

Raellus 05-14-2021 03:24 PM

I deliberately didn't include FARMER because it would probably run away with it. There are also quite a few AG University programs (here in the US, at least), so one could argue (weakly, IMHO) that it's a white collar profession and not, strictly speaking, a trade. Your point about skill overlap is fairly taken, and should probably be taken into consideration when voting.

-

Vespers War 05-14-2021 04:11 PM

It's a trick question. There is no single most valuable civilian trade because they're almost all interdependent and a functioning society needs each of them.

CDAT 05-14-2021 07:33 PM

I am going to second Farmer. It is not as easy as many people think, and without food you are in a world of hurt.

Silent Hunter UK 05-15-2021 06:47 AM

Doctor. Going to be a lot of people needing treatment.

pmulcahy11b 05-15-2021 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Silent Hunter UK (Post 87849)
Doctor. Going to be a lot of people needing treatment.

I agree -- in concert with chemists and herbologists. (sp?)

Spartan-117 05-15-2021 08:39 AM

I'll put in a shout out for the Plumbers. As you tour this magnificent blue orb and learn of great civilizations throughout history, one thing stands out - their ability to control water and manage waste.

From Roman aqueducts and sewers to Ottoman era Turkish baths, the ability to provide water to cities, remove human waste from them, and occasionally clean your population, is critical to preventing disease and illness.

While you may need farmers to survive, you need plumbers to thrive and that's why they get my vote!

Raellus 05-15-2021 11:23 AM

Doctors and chemists aren't on the list because those professions require a university degree, at least. Trades in this context are professions requiring trade school, or vocational programs (like CTE here in the States), or apprenticeships. I'm going to make a separate poll for professions traditionally requiring a university degree.

-

Milano 05-15-2021 12:12 PM

I'll go with Machinist. A mechanic, gunsmith, plumber, etc isn't any good with out parts. A SMART machinist will learn about other pursuits given time. IE.. the machinist will learn a bit of gunsmithing after making enough gun barrels on his lathe.

And vice versa, now that I say it that way. But I am sure you all understand.

Olefin 05-16-2021 11:48 AM

blacksmith - they are going to be in big time demand for their ability to make metal tools,repair broken ones and also making things like horseshoes and plow blades

Enfield 05-16-2021 06:36 PM

Carpenters. Settlements need shelters and basic construction.

Targan 05-18-2021 04:35 AM

Hooker

Raellus 05-18-2021 01:03 PM

Did you mean "fisherman"?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 87898)
Hooker

They do call that the "world's oldest profession", don't they? In all seriousness, that's a very valid response. In all wars, many desperate women have turned to prostitution in order to survive. It's a "career" option in secure areas with some law and order, and a clientele with something to pay/trade for services rendered. In lawless areas, it's unlikely payment will be tendered.

The post-apocalypse is tough on everyone, but I reckon it would be tougher, in general, on women.

-

Targan 05-18-2021 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 87903)
They do call that the "world's oldest profession", don't they? In all seriousness, that's a very valid response. In all wars, many desperate women have turned to prostitution in order to survive. It's a "career" option in secure areas with some law and order, and a clientele with something to pay/trade for services rendered. In lawless areas, it's unlikely payment will be tendered.

The post-apocalypse is tough on everyone, but I reckon it would be tougher, in general, on women.

-

We've talked before in old threads about T2K armies having "camp followers" like in medieval times.

swaghauler 05-18-2021 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 87907)
We've talked before in old threads about T2K armies having "camp followers" like in medieval times.

Yeah but I bet they still wouldn't beat those German "Brat trucks" into the Fulda Gap! Those crazy %&@*'s would be selling bratwurst to BOTH SIDES while everyone was shooting at each other! :p