RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question on where people lived during the game time period (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=5599)

Olefin 01-17-2018 11:46 AM

Question on where people lived during the game time period

Love to know where people lived during the game time period for those who want to share that information - if that has been discussed on another thread please give me the link.

I was in Glendale CA during the buildup to the war (1992-1995) and then moved to Marysville Ohio from June 1995 to Feb 2000.

Then moved to the Allentown PA area in Feb 2000.

Definitely could provide information to any writers or GM's who might want to get a local flavor to add to any new submissions or campaigns who might need information on those areas.

Also had family in the western NY area around Rochester and was there quite a bit as well - would have been in Marysville Ohio for the TDM

Raellus 01-17-2018 12:37 PM

I Approve of this Idea

I lived in Montevideo, Uruguay (South America) from '90-'93; it was interesting seeing how a third party reacted to Gulf War I. I've lived in Tucson, Arizona ever since. I can't believe that Tucson was spared by the T2K writers. We've got Davis-Monthan AFB, the bone yard, and Raytheon right here in town, and Fort Huachuca is not that far away. A few years ago, I lived a mile from an abandoned Titan Missile Silo. In the context of the Cold War, Tucson is a target-rich environment.

WallShadow 01-17-2018 05:51 PM

I moved to the Harrisburg, PA area in March '95, wound up in a farmhouse converted to apartments later that year (about a mile from Three Mile Island nuke power plant) then bought a house in Steelton (cheek-by-jowl with Harrisburg's southern border) in July 2000. Been here since.
Local assets: Three Mile Island; The Harrisburg solid-waste generation plant, Harrisburg Int'l Airport/PA Air National Guard tanker and ELINT/PSYOPS squadrons; Ames/True Temper handtool factory; Mechanicsburg Naval Parts Depot; 28th Division PA National Guard HQ, New Cumberland Army Depot, Ft Indiantown Gap PAARNG Training Center; a quiescent Bethlehem Steel plant, several State-operated fish hatcheries; field office for FBI/State Dept; PA State Police HQ and Training Academy; Hershey Foods, Hershey Park (which has large subterranean chambers for maintenance and supplies for the park); the Enola railroad yards; large numbers of trucking company depots; warehouses for numerous big-box and DIY stores; PennDOT road equipment and road-contruction materials lots; numerous hospitals, Dept of Agriculture labs, Rite Aid Pharmacy HQ and major warehouse; Harrisburg Farm Show Complex which could be converted to house refugees. And 40 miles down the road, Letterkenney Army Depot. All surrounded by thousand of acres of excellent farmland and numerous eatth-wise Amish/Mennonite farmers for whom no electricity would mean very little. Not yoo bad a place, if defense could be mounted, marauders aggressively hunted, and refugees be assigned to work that utilizes their skills effectively, and _everybody_ helps raise food or build fortifications.

rcaf_777 01-17-2018 08:01 PM

I joined the army as reserve light infantry in 94 spent the summer of 94 going through what they called battle school

James Langham 01-17-2018 09:46 PM

In the East Midlands in the UK throughout the period.

mcchordsage 01-18-2018 04:32 AM

Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, with a lot of traveling to see family in Rockville, MD and West Virginia.

Olefin 01-18-2018 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallShadow (Post 76922)
I moved to the Harrisburg, PA area in March '95, wound up in a farmhouse converted to apartments later that year (about a mile from Three Mile Island nuke power plant) then bought a house in Steelton (cheek-by-jowl with Harrisburg's southern border) in July 2000. Been here since.
Local assets: Three Mile Island; The Harrisburg solid-waste generation plant, Harrisburg Int'l Airport/PA Air National Guard tanker and ELINT/PSYOPS squadrons; Ames/True Temper handtool factory; Mechanicsburg Naval Parts Depot; 28th Division PA National Guard HQ, New Cumberland Army Depot, Ft Indiantown Gap PAARNG Training Center; a quiescent Bethlehem Steel plant, several State-operated fish hatcheries; field office for FBI/State Dept; PA State Police HQ and Training Academy; Hershey Foods, Hershey Park (which has large subterranean chambers for maintenance and supplies for the park); the Enola railroad yards; large numbers of trucking company depots; warehouses for numerous big-box and DIY stores; PennDOT road equipment and road-contruction materials lots; numerous hospitals, Dept of Agriculture labs, Rite Aid Pharmacy HQ and major warehouse; Harrisburg Farm Show Complex which could be converted to house refugees. And 40 miles down the road, Letterkenney Army Depot. All surrounded by thousand of acres of excellent farmland and numerous eatth-wise Amish/Mennonite farmers for whom no electricity would mean very little. Not yoo bad a place, if defense could be mounted, marauders aggressively hunted, and refugees be assigned to work that utilizes their skills effectively, and _everybody_ helps raise food or build fortifications.

You would be an excellent source for something I am thinking about writing for a rebuilt 28th Infantry Division and how things in PA would be affected by them arriving back in the Harrisburg area in early 2001

RN7 01-18-2018 07:33 AM

In this period I lived between Dublin, Ireland and the South of England in the towns of Reading, Chichester and Portsmouth. I also had some family ties with British Columbia in Canada where I was born. Didn't get to live in the States till 2001, Kansas and Missouri where I still live for part of the year.

WallShadow 01-18-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Olefin (Post 76929)
You would be an excellent source for something I am -thinking about writing for a rebuilt 28th Infantry Division and how things in PA would be affected by them arriving back in the Harrisburg area in early 2001

Also in semi-canon is "A Rock In Troubled Waters" from Challenge, which describes the five refugee camps sheltering the suvivors and uprooted from the four nukes that got Philly located at Easton, Reading, Pottstown, Lebanon, and another that doesn't come readily to mind. I am sure the Governor of the Commonwealth would be interested in reincorporating more territory under his control or identifying possible seeds of resistance to future expansion by "showing the flag" and providing basic relief assistance. Another project would be to probe the limits of total destruction on the outskirts of Philly.
Or perhaps word has reached the Governor's ears of a hidden Doomsday Reserve Cache (FEMA records "accidentally" copied into PEMA's files by a Prepper-minded civil servant from Pennsylvania?) as well as CivGov's intentions of absconding with SR-17374-2's riches and cutting the people of Pennsylvania out of a chance of bootstrapping itself backup to self-sufficiency. And perhaps a force of the State has been hurriedly sent forth to try to gain possession of the cache and frustrate the CivGov plot. Who will get there first? Who will win the prize?

Tune in next week, same TEOTWAWKI-time, same TEOTWAWKI-channel!

Raellus 01-18-2018 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcchordsage (Post 76926)
Shenandoah Valley, Virginia, with a lot of traveling to see family in Rockville, MD and West Virginia.

Are there any Civil War battlefields/memorials there in the Valley? If so, what are they like?

unkated 01-18-2018 12:49 PM

Throughout this period, I lived in Medway, Mass, some 25 miles west of Boston. TDM would most likely have caught me visiting family in SW Connecticut.

Massachusetts itself is mostly denuded of military assets by the departure of the 26th Yankee Division to Korea earlier, leaving a slim state guard slowly training replacements.

Uncle Ted

Olefin 01-18-2018 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 76938)
Are there any Civil War battlefields/memorials there in the Valley? If so, what are they like?

There are several that I have seen while driving down the 81 - but havent gone to them yet - was actually planning to hit several this summer

here is some info - http://www.shenandoahatwar.org/visit/drivingtours/

CDAT 01-18-2018 02:45 PM

In broad strokes here we go Lets see 1992 to 1995 Ft Knox/Ft Lewis, 95 to 97 Offutt AFB, 97 to 2000 back to Ft Lewis, and 2000 In UT Guard (Camp Williams) when I went back to school.

mcchordsage 01-18-2018 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 76938)

None of this is particularly cohesive or in order, so, with that caveat here's my ramblings after being awake for two days:

There's New Market Battlefield, which is a state park run by VMI (Virginia Military Institute). They have a rather old museum building plus original structures. Battlefield is bisected by Interstate 81. Great walking. Don't go in the dead of winter unless you're fine with that. Also nearby is the Summers-Koontz Memorial to two Confederate soldiers executed after the end of the war for robbing Union cavalrymen of their horses.

Port Republic and Cross Keys battlefields are in a fair state of preservation. There's a UDC marker for Cross Keys sort of in the middle of the battlefield, plus a map and some older markers at the Cross Keys Ruritan Hall/Cross Keys Church (off of Keezletown Road). Port Republic has had several markers at the site of the main Union defensive positions at 'The Coaling' off of US 340 since the early 1900s. The main marker was destroyed by an 18-wheeler circa 2008. Most of it was private land until the Civil War Trust started purchasing it after 2000. They've put up a lot of great new markers and trails you can find on their website.

There's a marker in Harrisonburg on what is now James Madison University athletic fields where the Confederate cavalry general Turner Ashby was killed. Harrisonburg also has a small Confederate cemetery near the Muhlenberg Lutheran Church close to Downtown Harrisonburg. There's a small museum downtown on the Valley Turnpike that talks about its use during the war. There's also a marker to McNeill's Rangers, a Confederate partisan ranger outfit from the area in front of the library.

There are a variety of markers for engagements, skirmishes, etc. related to Sheridan's Raid, Hunter's Raid, the New Market Campaign, 1862 Valley, and 1864 Valley campaigns. The iron State Historical Commission markers mostly date to the 1930s. Newer ones installed by the Civil War Trust are all mid-90s or later. Winchester's markers went up in the 1990s as did Front Royal's. There are driving tours available. The actual battlefield foundations are pretty new.

McDowell is very well preserved, as is Fort Johnson on top of Shenandoah Mountain if you take US 250 out that way. Keep on 250 and head into West Virginia for the Battle of Greenbrier River, Battle of Camp Allegheny, Cheat Summit Fort, Battle of Rich Mountain, and Battle of Laurel Hill (almost all 1861, though Cheat Summit stayed in use).

Fort Mulligan, the march of Fremont's men to Cross Keys, and the raids on Moorefield are all out US 33 west from Harrisonburg. This was forgotten guerilla country. Lot of Unionists and Confederates fighting it out over old grudges. This is where my ancestors hail from in the region.

Cheat Summit Fort and Fort Johnson are great examples of hand-tool built earthworks fortifications, the sort of think a settlement or unit without earth moving equipment could manage to defend a fixed position. Some pretty serious works.

Right where I-81 and I-66 meet almost is Cedar Creek Battlefield. Interesting, and understaffed, they've got some great new trails around the morning attacks. Grounds are open all the time and it's super accessible. If you see Ranger Horn, tell him Nate said hello.

Harpers Ferry is right at the lower (North) end of the Valley. Great sight. Lewis and Clark right up through John Brown and the Civil War. One of two (with Springfield) government arms factories before the Civil War. There are at least four engagements there during the war plus skirmishes. A large quartermaster depot in Sheridan's time. Go see why New American screwed up putting all their men on Bolivar Heights like Col. Dixon Miles did in 1862.

Waynesboro's battlefield is almost completely destroyed by development. You can sort of follow the course of battle. Most of Jackson's surviving men are wiped out or captured here in '65.

If you go over Massanutten Mountain into the Page Valley there are some interesting markers related to the development of Jackson's Valley Campaign in 1862 and how his maneuvers managed to succeed.

Tom's Brook is basically just a gas station but there's a marker there about a major cavalry engagement there. Fisher's Hill was basically destroyed by the Interstate, I don't know of any markers there.

The Civil War Trail guides are your best bet for a cohesive tour. If you want to see everything it'll take a couple days, but the driving is fairly quick and easy. You could do Port Republic and Cross Keys up the Valley to Front Royal, Winchester, and Harpers Ferry (all of these are out of chronological order), then come back down to Cedar Creek, Tom's Brook, New Market, (Edinburgh Mill is kind of a neat stop, so is the CCC Museum/FS visitor center there), Harrisonburg, Waynesboro, Lexington (VMI/Hunter's Raid, they have a pretty good antique arms collection). Then go out to do McDowell and the WV sites if it suits your fancy.

Antietam (1862) and Monocacy (1864) are also extremely close the lower valley in Virginia and geologically are part of the Great Valley.

Matt Wiser 01-19-2018 09:49 PM

I was going to Fresno State as a Grad Student (Fresno, CA) and living at home (Auberry, CA), during the game period.

Silent Hunter UK 01-20-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Langham (Post 76924)
In the East Midlands in the UK throughout the period.

In East London myself. I was a kid.

jturfitt 01-20-2018 04:17 PM

Hollandale, Ms. 2 1/2 miles from a Navy satellite tracking and monitoring station.

Adm.Lee 01-20-2018 08:07 PM

In the 90s, I was in Columbus, Ohio, just a mile north of where I am now.

pmulcahy11b 01-20-2018 08:24 PM

Depends: v1 timeline, I'm Ft Stewart, GA with 24th ID (later reflagged as 3rd ID)' V2 and 2.2 timelines, I'm in Ft.Bragg with the 82nd Airborne (actually, I was in Saudi with the 82nd Airborne in 1990-91 IRL), and in the T2K13 timeline, I'm right here in San Antonio about 9 miles from a secondary ICBM target (Kelly Field, a dispersal base for B-52s and B-1s; I'm sure Kelly would have been reactivated in the T2K13 timeline).

WallShadow 01-22-2018 08:57 PM

Was anyone stationed at Tobyhanna Depot in NE PA during the 1990-2000 period? This was the big deal for rebuilding and refurbishing electronics, communication equipment, avionics, and other groovy things that EMP would have destroyed elsewhere. Odd that this wasn't reported as nuked or sacked by marauders. A fine little prize for CivGov (to upgrade their comm-links) and a great pool of spares, diagnostics, and refurbed-to-new comm gear. And probably a bunch of Faraday-caged pcs, routers, and switches, as well as backup copies of software and records.

Targan 02-01-2018 04:19 AM

I joined the Australian Army Reserve as an infantryman in Perth, Western Australia in '91. I've lived in Perth ever since. The most likely nuke targets in this part of the world, Garden Island Naval Base/Kwinana Refinery to the south and Pearce Airforce Base to the north, are both far enough from the suburbs where I've lived that I would have survived the strikes. Who knows if I'd have survived the ensuing chaos though.

By '96 I was no longer a reservist, but ex-regulars and ex-reservists are the first to be pulled back in when there's a war, so I might have ended up in an infantry battalion being sent off to one of the theatres Australia was active in during the Twilight War. By then I'd suffered some pretty significant injuries in a motorcycle crash though, so if I had been found medically fit to serve, I doubt they'd have put me back in the infantry.

Ancestor 02-01-2018 05:12 AM

The KC Metro area with a brief sojurn in the People's Republic of Lawrence, Kansas. I was a civilian then but if 9/11 was enough to get me to join the Guard as I did IRL then I would have completely lost my mind and probably ran to the nearest recruiting office the second the Army crossed the inter-German border, especially since I was neither married or a father in 1996. Hell, in real life 1997 I half-seriously researched joining the French Foreign Legion before coming to my senses. My desire for military adventure was much stronger then and has since been tempered by a healthy dose of life experience and Army bureaucratic reality!

swaghauler 02-01-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WallShadow (Post 76922)

And with The Ridge to protect you from incursions from the North West, you can concentrate on the South East. Gettysburg's cannon may see use again :).

swaghauler 02-01-2018 08:20 PM

I'm Located in what is referred to as "The Notch" or the "North Shore" of PA. This is the little "cut out" PA makes on the shores of Lake Erie between OH and NY. It is known mostly as the "North Shore" (despite being on Erie's SOUTH Shore) because Philly sits on the borders of the state's "South Shore" (the Atlantic Ocean). Our area, along with the "Wilds" (stretching along PA's northern border with NY and encompassing the Allegheny National Forest) and "The Ridge" (the mountains in the center of the state) have coined the expression... "PA is comprised of Philly in the East, Pittsburgh in the West, and Alabama everywhere in between."

Within the 50-mile wide by 80-mile "block" of terrain that comprises the North Shore, we have I90 on the Lakefront and I80 to the South. I79 runs north from Pittsburgh (100 miles South of my house), and ALL THREE routes pass over major rivers which would channel potential invaders into a limited number of areas of transit. This would enable small parties of combatants to control the movement of enemy forces.

Crawford County (my home county) has 88,000 residents of which half are farmers and 28,000 are Amish during the late 90's (numbers have changed since 2000). We have 60 tool and die shops including large manufacturers like Channellock and PA Tool and Gauge. We have 8 Plastic Injection Molding Shops as well. We have TWO small Steel Mills and Three Foundries including US Bronze (a defense contractor for the Navy). We have Dads Pet Nutrition (now Ainsworth), the largest pet food canner in the US in the 1990's (and still is today). Most people don't realize that pet food is cooked and canned to human consumption standards. You CAN eat dog and cat food. We also have Green Leaf Industries, a leader in Metal Injection Molding for the Aerospace industry as well as the LORD Corporation (an adhesives manufacturer). We also had a glass plant for PPG industries in Cochranton PA.

We also have The Keystone Ordinance Training facility for Reserve and NG units and the neighboring AMSA (Army Maintenance, Support, & Assistance) Shop. Down in Mercer County (50 miles from my house), we have Iron Mountain which is a MAJOR COG (Continuity of Government) site.

We have TWO airports with full facilities and 5000 ft runways for smaller aircraft. Erie International Airport is a FULL COMMERCIAL HUB with 8000 ft runways capable of handling HEAVY Commercial traffic with ILS.

In the 1990's Erie also had the Shipyard (800ft drydock), Hammermill Paper, GE Transportation Systems only Locomotive Plant, an Ethanol plant, TWO Steel mills, 30 Plastic Injection Molding shops, and 40 Machine Shops. The public docks in Erie can accommodate any Lake Freighter.

Erie also has the Brig Niagra with a FULLY FUNCTIONING compliment of Cannon and Caronade. The Brig has been completely rebuilt and is Coast Guard Certified for Ocean Transit.

We are also closely tied to the Forest (Allegheny National Forest) on our NE border, which can provide both POWER (via the KINZUA Dam and Power Plant) and Natural Resources in exchange for production goods. The Forest Houses SIX refineries, 2 major paper mills, a DOZEN coal mines, and all the raw materials one needs to rebuild a nation.

Nowhere Man 1966 02-04-2018 01:37 PM

Near Greater Pittsburgh Airport from my birth in 1966 until August of 2014. I'm in Tiltonsville, OH, northwest of Wheeling, WV on the Ohio side of the Ohio River.

.45cultist 02-05-2018 07:13 PM

I was at Barksdale AFB.

Apache6 02-11-2018 07:36 PM

Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii

In 1996, I was stationed at Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.