RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Looking for Us 5th OOB (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=854)

Hybris 06-05-2009 03:22 AM

Looking for Us 5th OOB
 
I’m looking for an detailed order of battle of the 5th mechanized.


I now I have seen it here somewhere with a complete description on the included units, name on personnel , equipment etc.

Now I can’t found it.

Does anybody by chance posses a copy?

If so PLEASE repost or send me this by message.


Most thankful.


Birger

Canadian Army 06-05-2009 08:02 AM

5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) OOB
 
1 Attachment(s)
Here is a 5th Infantry Division (Mechanized) OOB from 1992, that I had lying around, I hope this helps!
Attachment 581

Rainbow Six 06-05-2009 08:48 AM

Someone - I think it might have been Graebarde but could be mistaken, in which case apologies to the correct author - did a really good write up of how the 5th Division might look in July 2000. It went into a lot of detail - if I remember correctly it even had names for each of the Division's gun trucks.

Not sure if that's what you're after Hybris...it sounds like it might be...unfortunately I did have a copy of it at some point in the distant past, but don't have any more. Perhaps someone else has and might be able to post it?

kato13 06-05-2009 08:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Regrettably I don't know who wrote this, but I am pretty sure it is someone here. It is a full breakdown of the 5th right before the battle of Kalisz.

Edit:Just Saw the post above and I think it is Graebeard's

Rainbow Six 06-05-2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13
Regrettably I don't know who wrote this, but I am pretty sure it is someone here. It is a full breakdown of the 5th right before the battle of Kalisz.

Edit:Just Saw the post above and I think it is Graebeard's

Yep, that's the one I was referring to...

Turboswede 06-05-2009 11:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a breakdown I put together for a Combined Arms miniatures scenario based on the Battle of Kalisz. Each “Stand” represents 3-6 vehicles or a platoon of troops.

I have one for the Russians/Poles too.

kato13 06-05-2009 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turboswede
Here is a breakdown I put together for a Combined Arms miniatures scenario based on the Battle of Kalisz. Each “Stand” represents 3-6 vehicles or a platoon of troops.

I have one for the Russians/Poles too.


I would appreciate seeing the Russian and Polish ones. I have for years been trying to build up my 1/285 Miniatures collection. I have about 1000 vehicles total (plus about 200 cavalry). One of my goals is to have all the vehicles necessary for the Battle of Kalisz. Those docs will help me figure out what I am missing.

Turboswede 06-05-2009 12:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13
I would appreciate seeing the Russian and Polish ones. I have for years been trying to build up my 1/285 Miniatures collection. I have about 1000 vehicles total (plus about 200 cavalry). One of my goals is to have all the vehicles necessary for the Battle of Kalisz. Those docs will help me figure out what I am missing.

Here you go, I hope you have lots of trucks and D-30 field guns:D

kato13 06-05-2009 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turboswede
Here you go, I hope you have lots of trucks and D-30 field guns:D

I actually do have more trucks than combat vehicles. Good Russian towed artillery is hard to find and will probably be the last thing I fill out. Other than having way to many tanks, I have a pretty good mix for US equipment.

Graebarde 06-06-2009 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kato13
Regrettably I don't know who wrote this, but I am pretty sure it is someone here. It is a full breakdown of the 5th right before the battle of Kalisz.

Edit:Just Saw the post above and I think it is Graebeard's

Yep that's what I put together for my Operation Fredric game.

Hybris 06-07-2009 08:46 AM

Its was Graebardes stuff I was after.


And so I once again received what I needed by using this superb forum.






Thanks

Marc 06-08-2009 01:42 AM

Great material. I will take profit from it in my current campaign.

Raellus 01-23-2011 02:17 PM

I thought it would be better to resurrect this thread than start a new one.

Grae, if you're out there, nice work on your 5th OOB. One question for you: where is the 3-143 infantry? It's mentioned in the Escape form Kalisz scenario but I didn't see it listed for either your light or heavy battalions.

Anyway, that's not the main reason I posted here. I'm prepping a classic Escape type campaign for a company-sized unit. I want my company to be foot-mobile/truck mounted (no IFVs or APCs) and I want it to be designated G Company.

G Company, 3-143rd Infantry, 5th Mechanized Infantry Division

The U.S. army doesn't really use anything beyond E for company designations anymore does it? IT seems like every battalion- even in the same regiment or brigade- just has A-C,D companies. How can I justify a G company other than to just say "it's the Twilight World"?

I also want to attach a vehicle maintenance unit to my infantry company. Would this change the combined unit's designation? I mean, would it have to become a task force or combined task force, or battle group, or something like that?

Thanks.

Abbott Shaull 01-23-2011 04:08 PM

The ACR were the exception to the rule.

dragoon500ly 01-23-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abbott Shaull (Post 30420)
The ACR were the exception to the rule.

The only true "regiments" in the US military are the Army's Armored Cavalry Regiments, and the Marine Regiments...if you use any other unit then Company D would be about as far as it would go.

The 82nd and 101st both claim to use regiments, but this is more historical than real. Each battalion is lettered starting from A-D.

Sooooooo the chances of a G Coy, 3-143 Infantry would be very slim....

Sorry!

Adm.Lee 01-23-2011 07:46 PM

It could be an ad hoc unit formed by a higher command to fill some special need, or to use persons not assigned to a formed unit. Like a spare company commander and a set of captured weapons. Or it's the battalion's unofficial cantonment group, or designated foragers/scroungers, or vehicle maintenance team.

In the pre-1958 Army, G Company would be the 3rd line company of the 2nd battalion of the regiment. So that wouldn't fit for 3-143, it would otherwise be I,K,L, and M companies. Again, if it's unofficial, and you're the GM, go for it. Who knows why the battalion CO wanted to name it Golf Company. Is that the initial of the unit commander?

IIRC, attachments to a company creates a "Team," while battalion + attachments is a "Task Force."

HorseSoldier 01-24-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dragoon500ly (Post 30426)
The only true "regiments" in the US military are the Army's Armored Cavalry Regiments, and the Marine Regiments...if you use any other unit then Company D would be about as far as it would go.

The 82nd and 101st both claim to use regiments, but this is more historical than real. Each battalion is lettered starting from A-D.

Sooooooo the chances of a G Coy, 3-143 Infantry would be very slim....

Sorry!

G/143rd Infantry (no battalion assignment, just the regimental) was a LRS Company in Texas that I think had either a III Corps or I Corps wartime mission pre-91. If memory serves me correctly they were enobled from their knuckle dragging infantry status in the 90s by being converted to a light cavalry unit, but the sort of congenital defects that breed succeeding generations of infantrymen down through the ages imposed itself in the mix and somehow The-Powers-That-Be decided what the National Guard really needs is an airborne battalion.

Currently I think they've got a company plus the HQ in Texas, a company in Rhode Island and a company up here in Alaska. (I can only assume someone with a sense of humor thought bracketing Texas' airborne mafia between the biggest and smallest states was witty.)

So, anyway, G/143rd is possibly, though I agree that G/3-143rd is not. You'd just have to explain why a corps recon asset was attached to 5th ID, but it's not like people never, ever get opconned and attached and such.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.