RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Rule Question (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=849)

General Pain 06-04-2009 01:42 AM

Rule Question

How does the rules explain blocking a thrown weapon?

Some weapons would be easier than others and some might be virtually impossible to block.
http://vero84.files.wordpress.com/2007/04/shuriken.jpg

headquarters 06-04-2009 01:49 AM

As far as I recall..

..they dont .

General Pain 06-04-2009 02:02 AM

so...

that means we need rules for it...

Targan 06-04-2009 02:28 AM

Or you need to use a rules system that already has it. Far be it from me to suggest which one...

TiggerCCW UK 06-04-2009 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan
Or you need to use a rules system that already has it. Far be it from me to suggest which one...

You're a big fan of D20 modern, aren't you??:D :D

pmulcahy11b 06-04-2009 05:16 AM

Impossible: (AGL + Melee Combat/2). Whichever Melee Combat score is higher.

That's not the actual rule, it's just something I made up on the fly right this moment.

Caradhras 06-04-2009 06:22 AM

Slightly different but -

Funnily enough only last night I was running my weekly T2k campaign and a situation occured where my player was using a melee weapon and the enemy was forced into unarmed/body combat. The player gets 1st swings and hits, then I realise there is no block/dodge option for the npc (version 1 rules btw).

I will have to make something up to fit, becase although it would be difficult to block/dodge a knife/bayonet attack bare handed it is obviously possible particularly if specifically trained as most players chars would be. Allowing a diff BC roll is the simple option. (as I write this away from my rules, I wonder if there was something in there I missed after the wine and in the 'heat' of GMing :p)

To a lesser degree with the OP, trained player charachters would have a chance to block/dodge thrown weapons too. Without a complex system I guess the variables (what the player has as cover/tool to block with + the size/speed of the missile) would mean it would be more improvised 'on the spot' chance based on their BC/MC skill and/or agility.

kcdusk 06-04-2009 06:32 AM

I've never considered a thrown weapon.

Question for the group though. Is it easier to hit someone, or block a blow?

My own POV has been from watching people who know how to fight, such as middleweight boxers. And most punchs are blocked. So i have always thought it easier to block a blow than to actually hit. So in my games players "hit", but more often than not the shot is blocked.

In some cases a block incurred a 1hp damage to a random arm, so that the player blocking pays a small price.

Not sure how realistic my view is. If your looking at special forces types, i think they would grapple/subdue opponants rather than "beat them up".

pmulcahy11b 06-04-2009 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcdusk
I've never considered a thrown weapon.

Question for the group though. Is it easier to hit someone, or block a blow?

My own POV has been from watching people who know how to fight, such as middleweight boxers. And most punchs are blocked. So i have always thought it easier to block a blow than to actually hit. So in my games players "hit", but more often than not the shot is blocked.

In some cases a block incurred a 1hp damage to a random arm, so that the player blocking pays a small price.

Not sure how realistic my view is. If your looking at special forces types, i think they would grapple/subdue opponants rather than "beat them up".

Technically (though it doesn't matter for these rules), one hardly ever "blocks" blows -- you're better off deflecting them or stepping out of the way, and that way, you can also use their momentum against them and turn their attack into your attack. (I've always felt that the T2K rules shortchange martial arts).

Some do it differently, but I've never been a big or particularly strong person. Therefore, I don't want to be in a hand-to-hand fight for long -- in any "real" fight I've been in, I try to injure my opponent very badly very quickly -- fight-stoppers like broken noses, smashing moves to joints, or at least painful locking moves. I'm just not the sort of person who lasts in a protracted fight -- I don't take a punch that well. So I'm not just blocking -- I'm going for fight-enders, and I want them fast.

As for which SF grapples or beats people up -- I've never been SF, but I would think that would depend on what they're trying to accomplish -- to they want the enemy alive or dead/out of action?

General Pain 06-04-2009 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan

we are not going that road T.

Targan 06-04-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
Impossible: (AGL + Melee Combat/2). Whichever Melee Combat score is higher.

Actually that does sound pretty good. For something like a spear you could substitute Unarmed for a block or grab attempt too.

Targan 06-04-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b
(I've always felt that the T2K rules shortchange martial arts).

Cyberpunk:2020 (with a couple of its supplements) handle martial arts quite well and could possibly be adapted to the T2K rules.