RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Preview of Soviet Vehicle Guide 1.5 (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=1053)

chico20854 07-24-2009 10:56 PM

Preview of Soviet Vehicle Guide 1.5

While Jason is the lead for the DC Group's new version of the v1 Soviet Vehicle Guide, I recently put together a small piece on the tanks of the Soviet Army during the war.

It's very graphics-heavy, too large to post directly here. It's located at http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeedox4/s...viet_armor.doc

I hope you enjoy it!

kato13 07-25-2009 12:27 AM

As always Impressive Work.

Raellus 07-25-2009 01:21 PM

Outstanding work, Chico. Very cool.:cool:

More than anything I've ever seen or read, your captioned photos make the Twilight War seem real. I'd LOVE it if you would put them all together (your home page pics, Czech vehicle guide pics, Naval War pics, all new pics, etc.) and create...

An Illutstrated History of the Twilight War 1995-2000

Just pictures and captions. Easy (easy for me to say, at least). Please? Pretty please?

I've already mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd like to mention it again before you go to press with your SVG 1.5. It seems that, as far as Soviet/Russian tank design goes, v1.0 canon and the real world (henceforth, TRW) line up pretty well. The respective designations may differ somewhat, but based on the v1.0 SVG descriptions, and real world developments, the parallels seem really clear.

The v1.0 T-90 is described as an entirely new design with a "very low profile turret". Based on the color plate, it looks like what many western observers have dubbed the T-95 (in TRW). The T-86 is a dead ringer for TRW T-90. Similarly, the T-74 could stand in for TRW T-80. The T-80 mentioned in canon is described as an imporved T-64. It can get a bit confusing.

A simple T-chart showing TRW equivalent for each v1.0 designation would be helpful to GMs seeking additional info on the various platforms.

Once again, great work Chico.

QUESTION: What are TRW tanks in the photo captioned "T-64BVs in Iran"? If they're really T-64s, that's the best photo I've ever seen of them. The cammo scheme looks like a modern Polish one. What was TRW context of the photo?

Webstral 07-25-2009 02:44 PM

Wow, Chico! What an impressive investment of time and effort! What a superb product! This will be an invaluable addition to the ongoing Twilight: 2000 effort.

Webstral

Mohoender 07-25-2009 09:28 PM

Very nice chico, with a lot of very interesting thought on the various tanks deployment.

natehale1971 07-25-2009 11:07 PM

I found this, and thought i would share it with everyone... pictures of a tour of a Typhoon-class Submarine!

http://community.livejournal.com/ru_...ine/17486.html

Matt Wiser 07-26-2009 07:31 PM

Well done, Chico. Excellent work!

chico20854 07-27-2009 12:23 PM

Glad you guys enjoyed it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 11369)
Outstanding work, Chico. Very cool.:cool:

More than anything I've ever seen or read, your captioned photos make the Twilight War seem real. I'd LOVE it if you would put them all together (your home page pics, Czech vehicle guide pics, Naval War pics, all new pics, etc.) and create...

An Illutstrated History of the Twilight War 1995-2000

Just pictures and captions. Easy (easy for me to say, at least). Please? Pretty please?

Maybe something for the new album feature here! I was actually just looking into setting up my website with a "slideshow" feature so it had multiple images (with captions) scrolling actively. Actually, the images were the most time-consuming part of the document, and they're giving Jason fits as he tries to combine the documents into the master Soviet Vehicle Guide.

Quote:

I've already mentioned this elsewhere, but I'd like to mention it again before you go to press with your SVG 1.5. It seems that, as far as Soviet/Russian tank design goes, v1.0 canon and the real world (henceforth, TRW) line up pretty well. The respective designations may differ somewhat, but based on the v1.0 SVG descriptions, and real world developments, the parallels seem really clear.

The v1.0 T-90 is described as an entirely new design with a "very low profile turret". Based on the color plate, it looks like what many western observers have dubbed the T-95 (in TRW). The T-86 is a dead ringer for TRW T-90. Similarly, the T-74 could stand in for TRW T-80. The T-80 mentioned in canon is described as an improved T-64. It can get a bit confusing.

I agree on the T-90/T-95 matchup. TRW T-90 is a T-72 chassis with a T-80 fire control system & new turret, originally designated T-72S before Desert Storm destroyed the sale value of anything designated T-72. T-74 was a western intelligence system guess as the identity of the uparmored T-72B that came out in the mid-80s. There are numerous versions of the T-80 in TRW (the earlier , I wanted to use T-86 to distinguish the more advanced versions (TRW T-80U, Ukrainian T-84, Oplot) from the earlier versions (TRW T-80A and B versions).

Quote:

A simple T-chart showing TRW equivalent for each v1.0 designation would be helpful to GMs seeking additional info on the various platforms.

Once again, great work Chico.

QUESTION: What are TRW tanks in the photo captioned "T-64BVs in Iran"? If they're really T-64s, that's the best photo I've ever seen of them. The cammo scheme looks like a modern Polish one. What was TRW context of the photo?

Ukrainian T-64BV on exercise in the last few years. I can't find the reference in the 125+ page discussion on tank-net.org (which revolves around the T-64/72/80/90 distincions).

General Pain 07-27-2009 12:44 PM

Very good work Chico

Impressive...

Keep up the good work.

Jason Weiser 07-27-2009 03:01 PM

I got that fixed Dan! I am right now adding the Soviet MRDs in blocs...and simply adding unit, army subordination, and home district. Some, I am doing stories for if we're not going to game with them in TWW (so far, just one, a Machinegun Artillery division that was pretty much stuck in the Soviet Kuriles..though I had it pulling security at some of the outlying Soviet Pacflt Naval Bases, and losing subunits when the places got nuked).

Raellus 07-27-2009 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Weiser (Post 11495)
I got that fixed Dan!

Great! So whipping up An Illustrated History of the Twilight War should be no problem!;)

Seriously, Chico, I would pay good money for such a thing. You gotta hook me up!

Legbreaker 07-27-2009 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 11506)
Seriously, Chico, I would pay good money for such a thing. You gotta hook me up!

Sounds like we've got an addict on our hands.... ;)

Nowhere Man 1966 08-02-2009 06:50 PM

Good work, guys!

chico20854 06-15-2011 04:44 PM

And now the long-delayed successor, the guide to Soviet Artillery of the Third World War.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CPqkv5YO

It's on google docs for now. I'll see about getting it on my website some time in the next few days.

Let me know what your preference is for the next piece: Soviet APCs, light AFVs, infantry weapons or a look at NATO armor and/or artillery.

Enjoy!

Raellus 06-15-2011 04:52 PM

Great stuff, as always. Good to hear from you Chico! Keep up the excellent work.

James Langham 06-16-2011 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chico20854 (Post 34826)
And now the long-delayed successor, the guide to Soviet Artillery of the Third World War.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...thkey=CPqkv5YO

It's on google docs for now. I'll see about getting it on my website some time in the next few days.

Let me know what your preference is for the next piece: Soviet APCs, light AFVs, infantry weapons or a look at NATO armor and/or artillery.

Enjoy!

Chico, amazing work. I'd like to see Soviet light AFVs. I am already working on Pact Small Arms (see other threads) - feel free to use.

antimedic 06-16-2011 04:54 AM

Hell Yes!

chico20854 04-26-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James Langham (Post 34834)
Chico, amazing work. I'd like to see Soviet light AFVs.

Finally finished! https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1i...0RaeXBIektWUVU

It will be up on my web site shortly too.

Enjoy!

Raellus 04-26-2012 04:14 PM

Chico Rocks

Chico, you sir, are the man. Thanks!

P.S. I know that you are a busy man and I respect your time. That said, would your consider, for your next T2K-related project, creating/finishing a Polish Vehicle Guide?

boogiedowndonovan 04-26-2012 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chico20854 (Post 45634)

Enjoy!

good stuff, you rock!

Ironside 04-27-2012 04:02 AM

Many thanks! :)

kiltedguard 04-27-2012 04:52 AM

Awesome....just awesome.

Targan 04-27-2012 05:29 AM

Lovely work, Chico. I'm suppressing a nagging feeling of guilt, as though I've obtained a quality published T2K sourcebook without having had to pay for it. Wait... that's exactly what I'll have done as soon as I can download the complete product. I hope it becomes widely distributed and referenced.

chico20854 04-27-2012 06:57 PM

Thanks for the support! I hope you enjoy it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 45640)
Chico, you sir, are the man. Thanks!

P.S. I know that you are a busy man and I respect your time. That said, would your consider, for your next T2K-related project, creating/finishing a Polish Vehicle Guide?

I've started a Polish Vehicle Guide, but had been intending to wrap it into a more general Warsaw Pact Vehicle Guide type publication.

Our original intent was to generate unit histories for all the combatant nations by wargaming the 1996-97 campaign. That seems increasingly unlikely for a number of reasons, so I'm not sure if/when I'd be able to generate something credible for unit histories. I've got the beginnings of the Polish army done, the Czechs are obviously finished (but would have to be revised if we wargamed it), and the Hungarians, Bulgarians, Greeks, Italians and loyalist East Germans are nowhere near even started. (Jason has the lead on the Soviet unit histories, about 300 divisions and he isn't planning to even touch the independent Army and Front-level regiments and brigades. Plus I'm gradually pulling together the MVD, which is something like 15 divisions and still growing!)

Even with that said, it took me 9 months+ to get the Light AFVs piece together. I wish I had more time and energy for this stuff, but I just don't these days.

Matt Wiser 04-27-2012 07:10 PM

Nice work! When does it show up on the site, Chico? Long time, no see, I might add.

James Langham 04-29-2012 04:25 AM

Excellent work as ever Chico, I always look forward to anything you post. You have my sympathy regarding time!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chico20854 (Post 45698)
Thanks for the support! I hope you enjoy it!

I've started a Polish Vehicle Guide, but had been intending to wrap it into a more general Warsaw Pact Vehicle Guide type publication.

Our original intent was to generate unit histories for all the combatant nations by wargaming the 1996-97 campaign. That seems increasingly unlikely for a number of reasons, so I'm not sure if/when I'd be able to generate something credible for unit histories. I've got the beginnings of the Polish army done, the Czechs are obviously finished (but would have to be revised if we wargamed it), and the Hungarians, Bulgarians, Greeks, Italians and loyalist East Germans are nowhere near even started. (Jason has the lead on the Soviet unit histories, about 300 divisions and he isn't planning to even touch the independent Army and Front-level regiments and brigades. Plus I'm gradually pulling together the MVD, which is something like 15 divisions and still growing!)

Even with that said, it took me 9 months+ to get the Light AFVs piece together. I wish I had more time and energy for this stuff, but I just don't these days.

chico20854 05-09-2012 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Wiser (Post 45700)
When does it show up on the site, Chico?

It's up now (along with the Soviet Strategic Rocket Forces orbat).
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzeedox4/index.html

Olefin 05-09-2012 01:50 PM

We really need to start a letter writing campaign to Far Future Net and show them the interest there still is in the game and convince them that there is a market for fan based guidebooks and modules for the game.

Between this, the Czech, Mexican, Polish guides, what I am working on for Kenya, and others we could possibly really get the game started again with new modules and a revised canon.

chico20854 06-01-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chico20854 (Post 45634)

Enjoy!

And with a new speed record, Soviet APCs! https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B1i...FJSeUgwTkoySlE

I'll probably work on air defense systems next...

The APCs will probably be up on my web site sometime in the next week.

Enjoy!

Raellus 06-01-2012 06:27 PM

Very nice work, Chico. Your stuff always rocks. I especially love the pics you dig up and the captions you add- they give your work such a high level of verisimilitude. It's like I'm reading about an actual RL WWIII!

If I may offer a very modest suggestion, for the photo of the BMD in the Lithuanian village, you might consider changing the caption to some place in China. Those thatched-roof buildings just look like something you might see in village in the Chinese countryside.