RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Nuclear War!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=250)

headquarters 10-07-2008 06:27 AM

Nuclear War!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.oism.org/nwss/s73p912.htm

or rather,a book about it .

Notice the smiling happy survivors in their shelters

Marc 10-07-2008 03:15 PM

Surely they are happy because, although they will die in some obscene way, they have read in the book that it will not be the end of human life on earth.

Mohoender 10-08-2008 12:17 AM

It might not be the end but some rare native populations have a much better chance to survive. We could well end up with a world where Pigmies, Inuits, Siberian tribes and Amzonian natives... would become the dominant civilisations. An improvement of some sort may be:D .

Targan 10-08-2008 12:25 AM

I'd agree with that. Even today there are groups of Australian Aborigines who are the only people who do (or even can) live for extended periods deep in the desert. It is almost magical they way they disappear into the wilderness on "walkabout" for weeks or months at a time with just what they can carry on their backs. Even quite experienced white folk would die within a week with the same gear.

jester 10-08-2008 12:52 AM

I beg to argue the point!

With the knowlege and the basic tools of survival anyone can survive. It is the will that is key.

Give me a means of fire, an edge and for comfort a means of storing water and I think I would manage fine. Toss in a cooking impliment and hey a blanket or tart and life is large.

It is mindset or so I beleive. And the thing is so many people today rely to much on technology and all it has, to turn it off is a real mind warp.

I fully admit my two foibles are coffee and the internet. Take either of those two and I have issues, and beer too okay but no, I can go a few days without beer. ;)

Mohoender 10-08-2008 01:14 AM

Jester

You are right, it simply that some natives will have better skills and knowledges in that case. Moreover, they might not have to suffer that much from direct hits.

In modern societies, few people do and even those who do often rely on some technology. Moreover, you'll have riots and the true survivors might become targets to marauders.

jester 10-08-2008 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohoender
Jester

You are right, it simply that some natives will have better skills and knowledges in that case. Moreover, they might not have to suffer that much from direct hits.

In modern societies, few people do and even those who do often rely on some technology. Moreover, you'll have riots and the true survivors might become targets to marauders.

Well as long as they kill one another off before they brew up the last of the coffee I will not complain ;) If they do, well heaven help them. I am most unpleasant without my coffee and even tea doesn't work, it only leasns my unplesantness ;)

Targan 10-08-2008 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jester
With the knowlege and the basic tools of survival anyone can survive. It is the will that is key.

I agree but only up to a point. I've had Army infantry training in Australia and I've been travelling into the Australian outback since I was a child so I'd do allright if I was lost in the bush therefore I agree that training and mindset will help alot. But I have to tell you, vast stretches of the Australian continent contain very, very harsh conditions. I know you have some very gnarly deserts in the USA so you know what I mean but where you have nasty patches or even nasty States, the majority of our continent is arid, semi arid or utterly desolate. All the will in the world will not help you if you are lost in, say, the Great Sandy Desert on foot. Chances are that unless you have been mentored by Australian Aborigines from that area or are an Indigenous Australian yourself, you will die. Australia's desert dwelling Aboriginal tribes have been living in those environments continuously for 40,000 years. Believe me when I say that their survival abilities in the desert are nigh on miraculous.

bigehauser 10-09-2008 10:09 PM

Quote:

Toss in a cooking impliment and hey a blanket or tart and life is large.

If I take the term "tart" as something deviant, and unscrupulous as opposed to being short for "tartan," I could have all of those things rolled up into one nice tight little hottie of a package.

:naughty:

jester 10-10-2008 12:06 AM

Okay shoot me for making a typo! I meant to say a "tarp" to keep rain off or even collect it, but hey a tart or strumpet wouldn't be a bad thing to have in a survival situation either ;) It sure would help the time go by faster and help keep you warm and your spirits among other things up ;) <oh did I just say that? >

headquarters 10-10-2008 12:37 AM

survival

Quote:

Okay shoot me for making a typo! I meant to say a "tarp" to keep rain off or even collect it, but hey a tart or strumpet wouldn't be a bad thing to have in a survival situation either ;) It sure would help the time go by faster and help keep you warm and your spirits among other things up ;) <oh did I just say that? >

tarp would be a good thing (read the Road -its excellent)

Surviving isnt enough -a man has got to live too . A tart seemed perfectly sound to include in the list as far as I see-allbeit a little chauvenist to put her in your equipment section .

:D

Seriously -being two makes most things a lot easier .Someone to talk to keeping moral up -ultra important for survival scenarios,someone to take watches will the other one sleeps,soemone to cover you if you advance on potential risks,someone to see to you if you get ill or hurt .

Mohoender 10-10-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headquarters

Seriously -being two makes most things a lot easier .Someone to talk to keeping moral up -ultra important for survival scenarios,someone to take watches will the other one sleeps,soemone to cover you if you advance on potential risks,someone to see to you if you get ill or hurt .

Someone to kill, murder or simply massacre when you hit the bottom of things? :D

jester 10-10-2008 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mohoender
Someone to kill, murder or simply massacre when you hit the bottom of things? :D

Did you ever see that strange movie "A Boy and His Dog?" In the end, that is sorta what happened wasn't it? Or so it was implied.

Mohoender 10-10-2008 02:23 PM

Quote:

Did you ever see that strange movie "A Boy and His Dog?" In the end, that is sorta what happened wasn't it? Or so it was implied.

Actually no, I'll try to find it. However, I think that fiction and reality are full of such exemples.

jester 10-10-2008 03:38 PM

Fiction, it takes place I beleive in Oz <why are you people so fixed on the end of the world!> A guy I think it was whats his name from Miami Vice the old TV series. Wandering around the devestated land with his mut dog. The rest I will leave for you to find out.

And then we have a favorite "Blood of Heroes" which is kinda cool and again it takes place in friggin OZ! About a team with a freakish sport based on I think Rugby but instead of a ball its a dogs head, and the names of the players are changed, but you gotta admit the chick who played "the quick" was pretty hot.

why are you people so wierd!

bigehauser 10-10-2008 11:01 PM

Quote:

A guy I think it was whats his name from Miami Vice the old TV series.

:(

Don Johnson :cool: ?

headquarters 10-11-2008 02:18 AM

heheh

boy and his dog w don johnson

blood of heroes /jiggernaut w rutger hauer

both ok as far as pa movies go ,but then again I am a fan of the genre.

Boy and his dog is better though..

Targan 10-11-2008 02:26 AM

Quote:

And then we have a favorite "Blood of Heroes" which is kinda cool and again it takes place in friggin OZ! About a team with a freakish sport based on I think Rugby but instead of a ball its a dogs head, and the names of the players are changed, but you gotta admit the chick who played "the quick" was pretty hot.

That sounds like the film "Salute of the Jugger". Starred Rutger Hauer. Bill Gant, the guy who wrote Gunmaster, also wrote a complete Salute of the Jugger rules add-on for Harnmaster, we play tested it a few times in the early 90s. Lots of fun.

headquarters 10-11-2008 02:28 AM

yep

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan
That sounds like the film "Salute of the Jugger". Starred Rutger Hauer. Bill Gant, the guy who wrote Gunmaster, also wrote a complete Salute of the Jugger rules add-on for Harnmaster, we play tested it a few times in the early 90s. Lots of fun.

thats the one Targan

Seen it a few years back.

Trooper 04-21-2009 06:34 AM

"Nice" little film. UK before and after nuclear war.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=nuclear+war

Rupert Willies 04-21-2009 07:20 AM

movies

Atomic explosion effects:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqyBz...eature=related

Declassified U.S. Nuclear Test Film
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wWST...eature=related

JimmyRay73 04-21-2009 11:15 AM

Heh, I thought "A Boy and His Dog" was an OK movie, I actually read the short story probably 20 years ago. Seemed like a good post-apocalypse" read when I was a teenager, and Mom and Dad didn't mind so much that I watched movies like that and "A Clockwork Orange" if I read the books as well...

As for survival skills, remember that everyone is an expert at something, and everyone is ignorant about something, it just depends on what you've learned. This is why people are social creatures and being part of a group is so important in the situations we speculate about in games like Twiligh: 20XX. Being part of a group allows everyone in the group to share the expertise, while minimising the impact of the ignorance.

pmulcahy11b 04-21-2009 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimmyRay73
Heh, I thought "A Boy and His Dog" was an OK movie, I actually read the short story probably 20 years ago. Seemed like a good post-apocalypse" read when I was a teenager, and Mom and Dad didn't mind so much that I watched movies like that and "A Clockwork Orange" if I read the books as well...

My mother was so inattentive she had no idea what I read or watched, and my stepmonster couldn't have cared less what I read or watched (he's lucky if he can read anything straight now). I pretty much could watch or read what I wanted.

pmulcahy11b 04-21-2009 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigehauser
:(

Don Johnson :cool: ?

Yes, but he was about 19 at the time.