RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Browser Usage - Retired (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=891)

kato13 06-16-2009 04:07 AM

Browser Usage - Retired

Just trying to wrap my head around what browsers are common amongst our users.

IE's refusal to play nice with Google Maps more advanced functions has led me to actually think about different versions of my new maps for Firefox/safari/opera and IE.

EDIT this thread has been retired see the new version here Poll: Browser Usage? 2021 Update

TiggerCCW UK 06-16-2009 04:52 AM

I'm on IE on my PC, but thinking of swapping to firefox. At the minute though I'm mostly browsing via my BlackBerry - saves me climbing the stairs with my (still!) duff knee.

Cdnwolf 06-16-2009 05:39 AM

I do general browsing with IE, any secure things like banking etc, I use Firefox and I use Opera when Windows decides to pull one of their stupid tricks and not want to work.

Now the interesting question is... what version of Windows are you using. I am still using XP on my main computer and the laptop came with Vista which I hate.

Targan 06-16-2009 07:08 AM

I use IE at work (like now) but when I'm at home I use Firefox and at home is where I post new threads and write my lengthier posts.

chico20854 06-16-2009 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan
I use IE at work (like now) but when I'm at home I use Firefox and at home is where I post new threads and write my lengthier posts.

+1

As far as operating systems, I paid an extra $200 on my laptop for a version of Vista that came with a free "downgrade" to XP. Capitalism...

Fusilier 06-16-2009 08:19 AM

Absolutely Firefox.

Rainbow Six 06-16-2009 10:38 AM

IE for me, both at work and home. XP at work and Vista at home.

copeab 06-16-2009 12:09 PM

Firefox and XP, although I hung on to Netscape for a couple months after it was no longer supported last year.

(As recently as spring 2007 I was on the web with a P200 computer running Win98SE and Netscape 4.79)

OT: Huzzah, this is my 100th post here!

kato13 06-16-2009 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copeab
Firefox and XP, although I hung on to Netscape for a couple months after it was no longer supported last year.

(As recently as spring 2007 I was on the web with a P200 computer running Win98SE and Netscape 4.79)

OT: Huzzah, this is my 100th post here!

Congrats on 100.

kato13 06-16-2009 12:49 PM

I am glad that Firefox seems to be getting some traction. Unfortunately Internet Explorer users will have less of a good time on my new project. Nuclear strikes take like 25 times longer to display and are visually crooked, due to the fact that Microsoft insists on using their graphics rendering engine rather than the one Google provides.

Example below.
http://games.juhlin.com/images/forum/netscape_IE.jpg

See how the circles are not centered and crooked in IE. I suppose that it could be considered to be random effects, but the fact that IE takes 7-8 seconds to less accurately render 25 nuclear strikes while Firefox does it perfectly in less than half a second is just really annoying.

IMO anyone who uses Google maps regularly on IE should consider trying out Firefox. Personally I had no idea that there was such a difference in rendering speed when displaying complicated routes and traffic or such.

Legbreaker 06-16-2009 11:21 PM

I use Opera at home and IE at work.
I'd seriously consider ditching anything to do with Microstuffed if I could.

Adm.Lee 06-17-2009 10:26 AM

I alternate between Firefox and AOL, whatever it uses.

Marc 06-19-2009 03:51 PM

IE at home and Firefox at work. In both cases with XP. Most probably I will end using Firefox at home, too.

Grimace 06-21-2009 12:33 PM

AOL uses IE and some of it's own. Essentially you can't run AOL if you remove IE. But if IE isn't working, chances are AOL is.

I know this because I use AOL and/or IE at home, and IE at work.

XP for both places.

I tried Firefox but too many sites that I visited didn't support or display correctly with Firefox. So I junked that browser. What's the point of getting a browser that you can't see half the sites you visit?

kato13 06-21-2009 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimace
I tried Firefox but too many sites that I visited didn't support or display correctly with Firefox. So I junked that browser. What's the point of getting a browser that you can't see half the sites you visit?

I am actually very surprised by that as most developers I know use Firefox. Although Firefox follows web development protocols more stringently than IE does, so an improperly built site can have issues.

If this experience was more than 18 months ago, I might give it another try. As you can see from the results here developers now have to consider Firefox to be a significant portion of the user base.

Other than a site where active-x is required I only open IE for testing purposes and I have not seen a site that has not rendered properly in Firefox for quite a while.

Targan 06-21-2009 09:55 PM

I've been using Firefox for about a year and I don't remember ever having seen a website that Firefox hasn't displayed properly.

pmulcahy11b 06-29-2009 08:56 PM

Firefox, absolutely. And Thunderbird for email.

O'Borg 06-30-2009 02:58 AM

Firefox at home, IE7 at work. The company intranet was designed for IE and although Firefox works, the website flashes an error message after every click.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Grimace

I get this occasionally, especially when displaying newspaper column style pages with embedded pics - often the text gets pushed the wrong way.

There's a nifty little addon for Firefox called IEView which does exactly what it says on the tin - a right click menu option to open that page in IE.

Grimace 06-30-2009 08:35 PM

Thanks, O'Borg! At least ONE other person knows what I'm talking about. I know it wasn't just my imagination.

mikeo80 08-02-2009 05:22 PM

I've been using XP and IE7.. No problems so far.....???!!!

pmulcahy11b 08-03-2009 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeo80 (Post 11778)
I've been using XP and IE7.. No problems so far.....???!!!

My mother's using XP and IE8. The only problem she has is every time she tries to go tvguide.com, the browser crashes. I'm thinking of putting Firefox on her computer.

Targan 08-03-2009 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pmulcahy11b (Post 11821)
My mother's using XP and IE8. The only problem she has is every time she tries to go tvguide.com, the browser crashes. I'm thinking of putting Firefox on her computer.

Well you could reassure your mum that Firefox is easy to use. I think it is a good idea.

MajorPo 08-04-2009 02:55 AM

Firefox is the current winner for me mostly because of the addons that are available. I've also played with Google's Chrome browser and I think it might be a bit better but lacks the third party addons. Once they start appearing I will probably move to it

Dog 6 08-25-2009 11:53 AM

Firefox FTW!

SSGMike 09-12-2009 01:20 AM

Firefox

Firefox is the best in my opinion. Firefox is safer than IE, has loads of add-ons, and the latest version is about a fast as Chrome. As for incompatibility with certain web sites, that would be the fault of dimwitted web designers. :D

Tegyrius 09-12-2009 05:45 AM

Firefox. In Mac OS X. What is this "IE" of which you speak? :D

- C.

Mohoender 09-12-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tegyrius (Post 13122)
Firefox. In Mac OS X. What is this "IE" of which you speak? :D

- C.

Wild guess of a naive guy. The world computer pain and best virus highway.:p

Dogger 11-11-2009 01:16 AM

Firefox as of about six months ago, but still use IE8 for some things.

Box is running XP.

copeab 11-11-2009 01:59 AM

My PC a few weeks ago stopped running Firefox of any version, so i moved to Opera (IE8 and Google Chrome won't run on the system, either)

pmulcahy11b 11-11-2009 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copeab (Post 14629)
My PC a few weeks ago stopped running Firefox of any version, so i moved to Opera (IE8 and Google Chrome won't run on the system, either)

Are you having any problems with Java applets, Flash applets, or Acrobat/Acrobat Reader?