RPG Forums

RPG Forums (http://forum.juhlin.com/index.php)
-   Twilight 2000 Forum (http://forum.juhlin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Royal Naval Party 67 (http://forum.juhlin.com/showthread.php?t=3590)

James Langham 06-29-2012 04:35 AM

Royal Naval Party 67

1 Attachment(s)
A Royal Navy special forces unit (fictional).

As ever comments and suggestions welcome.

Rainbow Six 06-29-2012 10:07 AM

Nice job - I really enjoyed reading it. Well done.

Ironside 06-29-2012 02:15 PM

As with all your work I enjoy reading it very much. An excellent fictional unit.

simonmark6 06-30-2012 02:48 PM

very nice: love the parallels with Ian Fleming.

James Langham 07-04-2012 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by simonmark6 (Post 48011)
very nice: love the parallels with Ian Fleming.

I do like the little hidden bits for those who like to spot the influence/jokes.

Targan 07-04-2012 08:00 PM

Great work as always, James. BTW if you ever need assistance proof reading/editing I'd love to help. I do it professionally so I can virtually do it in my sleep.

Also, I wonder if you considered including a Shershen-class boat in RNP 67's vessel roster. They fulfil a similar role to the OSA and Osa II classes but are somewhat smaller and therefore require a much smaller crew to operate. In my last campaign the PC party "liberated" one from the Vistula river pirates. I have many line drawings and photos of the Shershen clas (no deck plans, unfortunately).

Raellus 07-04-2012 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 48168)
Also, I wonder if you considered including a Shershen-class boat in RNP 67's vessel roster. They fulfil a similar role to the OSA and Osa II classes but are somewhat smaller and therefore require a much smaller crew to operate. In my last campaign the PC party "liberated" one from the Vistula river pirates. I have many line drawings and photos of the Shershen clas (no deck plans, unfortunately).

Thanks, Targan! The Shershen was too small to show up in any of my old Jane's or Cold-War era gear books- I've been searching off and on for a smallish WTO design that could serve as a river gunboat. This might just fit the bill.

Targan 07-04-2012 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raellus (Post 48172)
Thanks, Targan! The Shershen was too small to show up in any of my old Jane's or Cold-War era gear books- I've been searching off and on for a smallish WTO design that could serve as a river gunboat. This might just fit the bill.

In my last campaign I had a Shershen as one of the "flagships" of the Vistula river pirates. The USN SEAL XO of Major Po's unit led a night time mission to affix home-made shaped charge limpet mines to some of the pirates' other substantial vessels prior to the rest of the party storming the Shershen boat. Po's party then took the Shershen a good way down the Vistula (pretending to be on a KGB-led mission) until a Soviet unit garrisoning a bridge with a GRU liaison became suspicious of their cover and holed the boat in the ensuing firefight.

I actually posted some of my photos and line drawings of Shershens in another thread last year some time I think. Would you like me to post the vehicle sheet I wrote up for my last campaign? From memory it has the location and armor values written up in v1 format. The weapon stats are in Gunmaster format but you can ignore those :D

Raellus 07-04-2012 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Targan (Post 48178)
In my last campaign I had a Shershen as one of the "flagships" of the Vistula river pirates. The USN SEAL XO of Major Po's unit led a night time mission to affix home-made shaped charge limpet mines to some of the pirates' other substantial vessels prior to the rest of the party storming the Shershen boat. Po's party then took the Shershen a good way down the Vistula (pretending to be on a KGB-led mission) until a Soviet unit garrisoning a bridge with a GRU liaison became suspicious of their cover and holed the boat in the ensuing firefight.

I actually posted some of my photos and line drawings of Shershens in another thread last year some time I think. Would you like me to post the vehicle sheet I wrote up for my last campaign? From memory it has the location and armor values written up in v1 format. The weapon stats are in Gunmaster format but you can ignore those :D

:D

I use v2.2 rules (but ALWAYS the v1.0 timeline) but I'd still like to see what you did.

My players wiped out the river pirates a couple of years ago, IRL, but they're continuing down the Vistula towards the Baltic (they're at Plock now) and I'm thinking it's about time for another riverine nemesis.

I didn't find the Shershen when I was looking for a flagship for the pirates so instead I went with this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project...s_torpedo_boat

I didn't want to use the same type of vessel again so I'm grateful you mentioned the Shershen class [again].

StainlessSteelCynic 07-05-2012 03:05 AM

My Google-fu is strong today

Model building forum with various images of Shersen boats
http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...p?f=52&t=54571

Best of all, the first poster had a link to a Russian model building site, no surprise that it's in the Russian language but here's a Google-Translate link for their radio-controlled Shersen model - lots of detailed line drawings but no internal detail
http://translate.google.com/translat...06.htm&act=url

James Langham 07-05-2012 12:27 PM

Really useful info thanks, I may well incorporate one into the flotila. I went for the OSAII as it is an ideal vessel for coastal patrolling in the Baltic and unlikely to attract attention but this fits the bill as well. I am working on an expanded version as we speak.

James Langham 07-07-2012 10:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Updated version with thanks for all the suggestions both on and off list.

Olefin 04-11-2020 03:04 PM

James

I was sent Royal Naval Party 67 as part of material that was going to be in Grimace's second fanzine. I was going to include it but have questions about the pictures - i.e. dont want to include pics unless I can use them without violating copyright. If I dont hear from you will assume that you arent interested in having it in the next fanzine

StainlessSteelCynic 04-11-2020 06:59 PM

Hey Olefin, if it's of any use, I think the images of the Shersen class boat from the links I posted are public domain.
I just checked the links to see if they were still valid and they are although the Google Translate link to the Russian model building site does seem to be screwy so you're better off using a direct link and translating it from there. http://hobbyport.ru/ships/pr_206.htm

Edit: Posted the above before checking all the images and realised that the pictures of model kits are most likely not in the public domain. I believe all the "real-world" images are though because they're all twenty or more years old and/or from a nation that no longer exists.