Thread: Riat 2009
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 02:35 AM

Well, the airshow was great yesterday Despite a forecast of heavy showers it stayed warm and dry and I even got a bit of sunburn! Plenty of interesting aircraft both flying and static but I think I have to rate the return of the Vulcan as far and away the most impressive sight of the day. It was an awe inspiring sight to see XH558 take to the skies, all the more so because she is privately owned. Other highlights of the day were the new French Rafale, the Freechi Tricolori (sp?) Italian display team and the Army Air Corps Blue Eagles display team. The Blue Eagles put on a great show and it was great to see my first Apache, but the star of their show was definitely the Lynx - there really is no way to properly describe watcing a helicopter do a loop from a hover I also managed to get a quick look aboard an MC-130 Combat Talon which was very impressive. Nice to see a couple of Warthogs again as well, although they were only on static display. Quick question - now that the A-10 is redesignated OA-10, does it still carry weapons in the observer role?

Picture wise I managed to fill both 2 gig cards, the 1 gig and about half of the 512 meg, which works out at about 3100 shots I'll start working through them when I get home and try and post a few of my favourites here.