View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 04:23 PM

Default Returning to the russians.

I remember when my father come back to Catalunya after a short business trip to the Soviet Union. It was in 1982, the year of the Moscow Olympic Games. He brought back with him a few films in Super 8mm format, some of them shot in places where he was not supposed to film. I only remember the images of soviet soldiers marching at "goose step" in the red square and some images from a museum devoted to the Soviet space race. But taking into account that I was only seven years old and I still remember them, I suppose those images impressed me very much!

The next time I saw a russian soldier was in machinegun nest near a bridge in Pristina. This time, the russian (not soviet) soldier impressed me very much, too. But in a very different way. He seems too much young and, though dressed in his combat fatigues and fully equiped, the uniform seemed enourmos for him. He was standing at the side of the road, surrounded by mud, but wearing trainers instead of boots. I don't know if this is representative of the state of the russian army at that moment, but it was difficult not to feel sad for him.

BTW, amazing anecdote Littlearmies!

Last edited by Marc; 07-22-2009 at 04:24 PM.