View Single Post
Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Targan View Post
Your battalion had the kilt as part of its dress uniform? I didn't know that. Very cool. I plan to get married in a kilt in my clan tartan.
Yep, I was one of the very few Australia soliders who wore it - probably less than a hundred all told. And it was really only my company too - the rest of the battalion had the standard poly's.

It was amazing how well it worked with women - offers coming in from every direction, although Cenotaph guard on Anzac Day (25th April - mid autumn) with the five layers of wool could be difficult to say the least. It was damn hot and sunny (usually) where I was at the time and black bitumen underneath didn't help much!

The bonnet was much more practical than the slouch hat too when on courses, etc. Could roll it up and stuff it in your pocket - everyone else had to take great care not to damage their grade one (parade) hats.

The brogues (shoes) on the other hand were a bit of a handful. They were 100% leather right down to and including the soles. With absolutely NO GRIP on the bottom, just flat, smooth, hard leather, polished floors were something to avoid if at all possible. Of course this didn't stop us having a few dozen drinks at functions and the like though.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem