Thread: Survival skills
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Let's see... Before they reattached my legs, I could do alot of things. And the more I exercise and rehab myself, i'm getting alot better at walking. So hopefully one day I'll be able to do all these things again.

Farming. I grew up learning how to farm from my grandfather.

Fishing. see above. use to go fishing with my grandfather when i spent the summers with my grandparents.

Carpentry. See above. spent the summers with my grandparents, working in my grandfathers carpentry shop in the evenings after working in the garden all day. being 12 and building a birdhouse by yourself is an amazing thing (until you go to school and tell everyone your summer was spent on a farm doing all these things, and they look at you as if you where crazy).

Hunting. My childhood friends in the mountains taught me. even taught me how to butcher deers after the hunt.

Reloading Ammo. I know the basics from watching my dad do it when i was growing up. He even allowed me to load shotgun shells.

First Aid. ex-Corpsman.

Sewing. I have two younger sisters whom I am 9 years older than that I had to babysit, and sawing them doll clothes helped me keep them happy.

General Contracting. My father was a general contractor who built houses on the sides of the mountain, and I grew up helping out around his contruction sites. So i know the bare basics of electical work, pumping, masonry, ect.
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.