View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Ei Spielmesiter!
How about the GURPS 4ed in modern/futuristic setups?
Hey Marc!

So far, since I got my Gurps 4e books and got the group to switch from 3e, we've only played twilight 2000 as a modern/futursitic set up. We also did a 3 month game set in ww2. It was set in the Eastern Front about August 1942, just in front of Stalingrad and the players were russians. Everyone in the group got hyped on this after seeing Enemy at the Gates and the russian tv series Strafbat (sp?). 4e held up reasonably well in both set ups.

Quote:
I was tempted to use GURPS 3rd edition to run a WWII mini-campaign and a short Traveller scenario, but I was afraid that the short turn time (1 sec.) would slow down too much the rhythm of a modern combat.
Yes, 3rd ed would be an excellent choice for a ww2 campaign (what theater of operations will you play in?) as well as Traveller. One thing going for you is the wealth of 3e ww2 sourcebooks out there (very informative stuff too, and great reading), as well as traveller 3e sourcebooks too. If you are not picky with the system (3e vs. 4e) 3e is good for traveller as 99% of gurps traveller sourcebooks are 3e and it does not look like they'll convert them to 4e. And the wealth of choices is staggering: mercenaries, naval action, merchants (ala firefly), exploration, skullduggery, you name it....

well, the 1 sec rounds put me off in the start but you learn to run with it. in my ww2 game, I even houseruled a 5 second and 10 second combat turn where people simplify their moves into 'long actions'. I borrowed these time frames loosely from the t2000 rules.

Quote:
And, if you know the 3rd Edition of GURPS, what do you think about changing from GURPS 3rd Edition rules to the 4th edition ones? The change is worth the trouble?
Well Marc, I've played both eds (3rd more extensively because I had it for a longer time). Changing over from the 3rd to 4th ed was a good shift all in all. Yes, it was worth the trouble (and the cost too- the books were rather pricey, ouch!). I was one of those buyers who got a bum set of the 4e players book (the spine was defective). Nice thing is SJG replaced it free of charge so in effect, i ended up with 2 4e players books on my shelf. Coming from a country where products liabilities laws are virtually not enforced, I found this a refreshing change, to say the least!

Although the mass of gurps sourcebooks are in 3e, the background info is still good and the conversion (if you really want to do it) is not difficult. Me, I'm rather rules light so I make more use of common sense and logic to make the changeover.

Off the top of my head, here are some changes from 3e:

1. Ranged combat: snap shot ratings have been dropped; ACC bonuses were generally lowered.

2. Ranged combat: auto wpns fire has been cleaned up. You now resolve autofire bursts with one 3d6 roll as opposed to burst group rolls in 3e. combat moves faster in this regard.

3. char gen: they put in talents and perks to up your skills.

I gotta run. Sorry if this is rather spotty, please feel free to PM me if you have any questions on gurps and I'll see what i can do to help you out.

cheers!

spielmeister