View Single Post
Old 10-28-2008, 02:28 AM

My advice on turn length (but that is only my little tiny opinion) is to do one thing at a time and forget about turn length. Just use it when the situation requires it.

If your players don't act, then use it, it helps and takes all of its sense. No need to save a PC that is shaking in front of a tank doing nothing. Then, resolve side action after the main one (it helps). Use your descriptions and the nervous tension to make people forget about turn length. Anyway you cannot go with turn length. Even 10 seconds is too short when you have to manage a group of 6 taking different actions. I often saw PCs getting frustrated as the GM forgot or would neglect their action. Usually they were right as they would have saved the day. For my part, a turn ends when everyone has done something, as long as they don't go out of track of course. However, situations is the key, things will go faster in a plane or in an action involving an helicopter than when facing ground troops and vehicles.

You'll quickly feel if the way you manage things is good from the way your PC's react. The GM is all powerful, you can throw the rules in the trash and still play a game. Just don't forget that you have duties and not only rights.

Of course this is only an opinion.