View Single Post
Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via AIM to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via MSN to Nowhere Man 1966 Send a message via Yahoo to Nowhere Man 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohoender
I think you are right to be alright with that. People should buy as they please. What make me worry a little more, however, is the access to technology or goods. A year ago, a friend of mine was living in California using a Mac computer. As she needed some upgrade, she couldn't find it in the U.S. and was forced to order it from Hong Kong. That upgrade was not even the one from the last generation.

When I was visiting in 2003 I looked for an USB key. Everything I found was half as good as what we consider here as basic. When I ask the guy in the wide computer shop his answer was: "We don't make this" or something like. When, I was studying in the U.S. in the 1990's I used to delay some purchase as I knew I could find better stuff in U.S.. It doesn't seem to be the case anymore. When I finally got back to France, I had a full suitcase of stereo material that I smuggled through the border.. Next time I'll go to U.S. I'm thinking about doing it the other way around.

Last year I used to play "Starwars" on the internet. I tried to avoid playing with Americans. They were nice and helpful people but my computer could feel the jetlag. I could go down one floor, get a beer and their computers were still loading their character. Strangely, the company running the game was next door (almost) to their place. I finally asked. All were using computers I put in the trash can about 6 or 7 years ago. One was using a brand new computer, however, he was an expatriate living in Germany and was amazed by the quality of computer stuff that you could find there for the same price than in U.S.

Don't take me wrong we are not doing that all better. For my wife hobby, she is ordering in the U.S.A. what was built here in france, 100 miles from our place. That company just went banckrupt and I don't have to wonder why.
Yeah, I think over time, we are going to have to get used to the old adage my parents and grandparents learned during the Depression and World War II. Well, my parents don't remember much of the Depression but they do remember WWII. "Use it up, wear it out, make do or do without." Well if you truly need something, when it needs replaced, some buy used stuff. My friend bought a car for $750 for example. I'm seeing a lot of that here, many people go to thrift stores as well like Goodwill and St. Vincent du Paul. If I had room, I saw a 1969 RCA color console TV I would have loved to snag. Thrift stores are doing a good business as money becomes tight.

A little update, my 1999 computer was giving me fits and I have to find out why so I went back to my old one, a 1998 Gateway Pentium II, 266 MHz, I'm using it now. It also runs better too.

Chuck M.