View Single Post
Old 02-01-2010, 12:08 PM
Bloomington IL

Default Alternate History in Twilight

A Long time ago i ran a T2K/Morrow project type game using T2K V2 rules.
It started with a few prequel missions in the early war. Then it reallt started at Kalisz. The players were all SF type of guys, but the game was very challenging so it kind of evened out. I used some made up early proxy wars as the first couple pre missions. I ended up much later using Gurps Alternate Worlds to explain how the MP had originated. The campaign ended shortly after this revelation but it had a very long run compared to most games ive played.

This got me to thinking about the amount of forces comitted and length of the war. Using the GURPS books system for creating an alternate world it all comes down to the point in time where history deviates from the baseline history of earth, even tiny things can cause the shift.

So if you moved the deviation of history back to the late 70's or early 80's, and i don't mean outbreak of war but a different election result or action of one of the governments or action of a minor government. This could allow a new arms race or series of proxy wars somewhere in south america or africa,
It would allow newer tech to be introduced a bit earlier, or more drafting of civilians and positioned and hardening of troops.

Just some thoughts i had thinking about that game and looking the morrow project info kato has up.