View Single Post
Old 02-11-2010, 02:22 AM

Default prefabs - modular ?

Wouldnt prefabs be made modular so that they can be transported in pieces and then assembled on site if necessary ?

I mean - the reason that they dont assemble on site is probably that sending guys out to do it costs more than hauling it out in one piece and dropping it off?

If you found a lot with supplies for such business ,maybe it could be possible to take parts of it by T2K transport - carts etc

I did stay about 18 months in a prefab once .While not roomy , it did keep my dry and reasonably warm in the winter with an electrical oven .

Quite hot in the summer though...A standard fan blowing at full tilt only partly alleviated the baking of yours truly .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
Prefab building in my experience are made to order. Therefore it's not like you're going to have a lot of them just lying about waiting to be used.

If there are any available, or any of the demountable or portable type buildings, you've still got the problem of moving them without much in the way of useful heavy machinery.

Far better to simply build onsite with whatever materials are locally available - this could be recycled bricks, rubble to build walls, scavenged or freshly cut timbers, etc.

Whatever is used, don't count on quality being anywhere near that of prewar housing unless you're lucky enough to have a good supply of materials and decent number of skilled tradesmen.