View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemper Boyd View Post
The exact expression in the 2.2 main rulebook is "the two least damaged armies in Europe" from the timeline, from the spring of 1997.
I'm curious to know where exactly that is wrtten as I certainly can't find it in the 2.2 book....

As I think can be seen in the translations John has been kindly posting, it seems clear that the Finnish book is written to reflect local needs and perceptions rather than following canon to the letter. It is therefore fair to say it's more of an alternate reality than extension - very useful and interesting, however my personal believe is the GDW material should have priority where there is disagreement. Naturally everyone is free to do what they like as always.

With that in mind, I think we can understand why the same writer has contradicted themselves - The Finnish book wasn't intended for sale and use out of one small area (or it would have been officially tranlated and published) and was written with that market in mind. A completely understandable position and something I'd probably do myself if it meant me being paid or not for my work.

Regarding who got nuked how hard, we have an indication in "What's Polish for G'day" that Australia and France were not "irradiated", however this could be explained by the Australian tendancy to exaggerate unimportant details. In the context of the adventure, it doesn't matter what state these two countries are in - everything happens in Poland.

I believe we also have other information from a number of sources including the 2.2 timeline that France was nuked.
Quote:
In Europe, France and Belgium had been hit the lightest and stand virtually alone in maintaining a semblance of internal order throughout the cataclysm.
France of course was at the time at least neutral, if not quietly hostile to Nato. This raises the question "can Finland and Sweden be classed as part of Europe?" My thoughts are definately yes.

Nothing happens in isolation - it's called "the butterfly effect"

Mors ante pudorem