Thread: AKM or AK-74
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Location: Equaly at home in the water, the mountains and the desert.

I generaly give the current top of the line weapons to regular units. Special weapons like the AK 95 and such to ELITE type units, who get whatever they want.

As for the AK 47 type weapons, they go to the nations who still use them, as has already been mentioned and irregular forces. I tend to use ALOT of militia in my campaigns, and occassional partisans and locals who are really just an armed mob of villagers, these folks tend to have OLDER weapons, shotguns, Mausers and Mosin Nagant rifles, nagant revolvers and even PPsH submachineguns and SKSs. As I said, those normaly go to irregulars who are basicaly villagers, and taking from WWII a truck pulls up, and they start tossing out bundles of weapons or boxes, toss out some ammo pouches, a few caps and maybe uniform jackets and poof you are now members of the reserves and will fight for Mother Russia!

As for mobilized units, again, when they were Raised, if they had a prewar unit then they may get the rechambered rifles, if they were raised after the war then they may get the 47.

Also, some elite units can have AK 47s because they preffer them. I remember reading an article in Soldier of Fiction that actualy mentioned this. Among the Soviet forces in A-stan they preffered the 7.62 over the 5.45 round.

And of course marauders, bandits and criminals usualy use the 47, since they are cheaper and a bit shorter with more variations.

One other thing to consider, the 47 would be much more common in Asia, Africa and S. America than the 74, and of course the Middle East.

I have done similiar with US weapons, remember the game mentions the M16EZ, well for units that were raised later in the war or even after things fell apart, I have included the M16A1 and the M14 and M1 Carbines as well as the old M3 Greasegun being issued in numbers, and yes I have even issued units with M1 Garands with a new barrel to handle the 7.62 Nato round or retaining the 30-06 for use at home in the U.S. since ammo is almost universal.