View Single Post
Old 03-01-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Creative Writing Pitfalls

Seeing as we have some fine writers on these forums, and I assume some much more experienced ones then I, I need some advise.

I tend to get bogged down in the details when I write stuff. I need to know exactly how things develop. For example: In my campaign I am writing a summary to explain the works of my main unit and how it developed Staten Island to become the base for expansion and area domination but I find myself stuck on trying to find out where water desalination plants would ship from in the NYC area to "explain" how we got a few of them from storage. Or exactly what steps the Engineers took to get power back to the FOB they use in Staten Island. What they did with all the derelict cars or how they scour the area for salvage.

When is it all too much detail?

I love Webstrals writing but personally, I keep asking crazy detailed questions like how the Coast Guard organizes its men or how they grow food or where they got the rifles or how do they defend the entire coast line and from who, who are the marauders in the area where are they, and the list goes on.

Do I over think things or is it just a different style I have that delves deeper in the details of how and why things happen rather then just saying they do.

PS -
And Web, please know I love your work and it inspires me every time you post some more, but my head never stops thinking about those sorts of crazy questions, hence I keep messaging you asking them. LOL!!