View Single Post
Old 03-07-2010, 07:57 AM

I've played around with writing myself. That's my secret "if I could do anything" career. I've sat down a few times and started stories, but sitting at a computer for hours at a time is difficult for me. I'm not much of a sit in one place kind of guy.

I think the amount of detail the writer provides depends on the type of story he's telling. A broad story telling of WWIII involving Divisions and Armies wouldn't have as much detail as a story of a squad of soldiers trying to survive.

One "pitfall" I have is that I tend to go back over stuff I've already written and change something. I've been writing up my homegrown game system for probably 6 or 8 months and all I've got done is character generation, skills, military careers and small arms combat. I've changed something in each sectionat least once. The point is the more time you spend perfecting or rewriting something, the less time you spend moving forward. I personally get discouraged when I'm not seeing progress, and that slows the process even more.