View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Default Not Twilight, but Merc-ish

Devils in exile by Chuck Hogan. I snagged this off the library shelf this afternoon, and I'm already at page 120.

Neal Maven is an Iraq War vet, home in Boston, alone with two crappy jobs and a similar apartment. He meets up with a fellow vet who has a fantastic car, gobs of cash, and the girl Neal once dreamed of in high school; who recruits him for his team. Five veterans who rob drug dealers, destroy the drugs and split the money. Not just any dealers, but the distributors, so there's a lot of money involved. Then the gangs and the Feds start sniffing around, and that's as far as I've gotten....

I played in a short Merc:2000 game like this once, ca.1996, we were pulled into taking down Miami-area druglords, on behalf of a mysterious South American gentleman. I remember it got hairy when the DEA started getting close, we were the dogs bringing the bigwigs out into the open where the law could reach them. That's probably why I have the "Miami Vice" theme running through my head.