Thread: Currency
View Single Post
Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos72 View Post

For awhile to start I think most settlements will focus on just getting the basics down. Food/water/shelter/electricity and the industry that supports it. A currency would be used to project a normalcy to the citizen and give them SOME flexibility in what they "buy" with their hard earned "money".

From a command perspective, capitalism is a weight my guys dont wanna bother with for now. They see the way other settlements work, offering protection for the food/products the locals make on their own and wonder why not just take control over the whole thing and paying the civilians for their effort in food?

Once populations stabilize and their immediate situations become less "survival" and more "rebuilding", then you might see some true semblance of an economy but not anything supported by the 'government'.
From my reading of this, your PCs are talking about taking over a community, by military force if necessary, and then making the community work for them and turn over all of their production in return for "pay". In effect they are replacing the government with a military junta.

If this is the case, forgeries are the least of your worries. The PCs are going to have more issues with dealing with what effectively becomes a slave population such as sabotage, low production and pilfering if you're lucky and out right insurgency if they aren't.

Such a set up might work in the very early days when having the PCs is the difference between life and death, but very soon after that the local poulation would probably start to want more independence. "Ban the 100% tax" and "No taxation without representation" could well be their rallying cry.

Again, interesting times for your PCs.