View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legbreaker View Post
I was also totally unable to find any reference of the UK 6th actually making contact with US units or getting anywhere even remotely near Korea. It appears they were operating elsewhere in China in support of the PLA.
It's mentioned in the Survivor's Guide to the United Kingdom, specifically page eight.

"In the Far East, the Chinese launched a major offensive in the
summer. The 6th Division was attached to Chinese forces driving
towards northeast China. In July, it was transferred to the 31stArmy
and linked up with the Americans on the Yalu River soon after.
At this time, the Sino-Soviet nuclear exchange began, and the
division took heavy losses from several tactical nuclear strikes.
The survivors were withdrawn, in surprisingly good order, to southern
China."

The order of battle for the British Army in the SGUK has the Division located in South China as of 1 January 2001, with a manpower of 1,400. The orbat is very, very vague on details of which units made up 6th Division...for anyone that's interested below is something I put together a while ago

6th UK Infantry Division

C Squadron, Special Boat Service
41 Commando, Royal Marines*
660 Squadron, Army Air Corps
7 Intelligence Company, Intelligence Corps

26th Infantry Brigade
1st Battalion, Royal Scots
10th Battalion, Parachute Regiment (TA)
2nd Battalion, Royal Hong Regiment (equivalent to TA)*

48th Gurkha Infantry Brigade
2nd Battalion, 2nd King Edward VII’s Own Gurkha Rifles
1st Battalion, 7th Duke of Edinburgh’s Own Gurkha Rifles
2nd Battalion, 7th Duke of Edinburgh's Own Gurkha Rifles*
1st Battalion, The Royal Hong Kong Regiment (equivalent to TA)

The Queen's Gurkha Engineers

Plus some Royal Signals (including Gurkha Signals), REME, etc. RAF presence consisted of a helo squadron (operating the Wessex), and a flight of Harriers.

Units marked with a * do not exist IRL; 41 Commando was disbanded in 1981 and 2nd/7th DoE Gurkha Rifles were disbanded in 1988. I'm generally wary about "inventing" new units, but as I mentioned earlier in the thread, there weren't a lot of spare resources at that point.

The Hong Kong garrison would have been stripped down to the bare bones in anticipation of the 1997 handover (as happened IRL, and in the T2K World was reflected in the two Gurkha Battalions transferred from HK to the MEFF). In my T2K World I reckoned that the start of the Sino Soviet War would warrant a boost to the HK garrison until handover, so I resurrected the two disbanded units, added a second Battalion to the Royal Hong Kong Regiment, and a Battalion of Territorial paratroopers deployed from the UK. Even then, I think it's a seriously understrength Division, and lacks any artillery.

(IRL there was a British Battalion (the Black Watch as it happened) in HK until handover. I know canon has 1 Royal Scots in Europe, but in my work I've moved the Battalions around a bit. For anyone who wants to stick to canon the 1st Battalion, Worcestershire and Sherwood Foresters are, I think, unaccounted for).

Of course, the above refers to v1. As Targan rightly says, there are differences between V1 and V2 (I don't know about 2.2), so the information may be different in V2.

On the subject of V2, the US Army Vehicle Guide lists the 2nd Infantry Division as being based at Cam Ranh Bay, Vietnam between 1991 and 1996. Does anyone have any ideas / suggestions as to how that could have happened?

Cheers

Last edited by Rainbow Six; 09-17-2010 at 12:33 PM.