View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 11:43 AM

Send a message via AIM to natehale1971 Send a message via MSN to natehale1971 Send a message via Yahoo to natehale1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt W View Post
An excellent idea, but I think you missed a few items. They may seem banal, but they might be very useful

Books: A small library (and not just instruction manuals).
Paper/Printers: If you're running a camp you need paper: records, journals, notes, maybe even a newspaper
School supplies: The UNICEF "school-in-a-box" is pretty good
Entertainment: something to help morale
Thank you!

I thought i had put the school-in-a-box listed in the supplies...

On the entertainment front... at least one of those big screen projection TVs with a large DVD collection to create a movie theater (or even the materials to set up a network of TVs so that they can have several different shows for better morale).

Also have one of those small range 'home broadcast' radio stations that has a range of under a mile that could provide music and 'news reports' for the camp.

also there would be a set of computers (such as Panasonic toughbooks) that would be used for the administration and medical clinic using programs that were developed for the VA to keep track of medical records... the supplies for the clinic facility would also have x-ray machines, and the like. The long-term storage for drugs would definitely be on the priority list, along with means for creating the more easily to make drugs that can be done with a 'low-tech' environment.

The printing press and paper is a good idea, as well as the materials for recycling that paper for later use, and since this is the morrow project with a few of the really kewl gadgets they have for turning poo into fertilizer so easily, they can have a gadget that takes used paper and turns it into new paper for use. Especially if it can make toilet paper, one of the greatest sanitation inventions. it's either that or washrags that get used and washed after each use...

Thus the thought of putting the cache two or three containers deep, thus holding all the supplies needed for the camp. Having the cargo containers as the largest they produce is going to be necessary.

I was just thinking... Once the Cache has been emptied, it would be perfect for cold storage. Be it for food storage, emergency shelter during combat (or during forest fires)

There use to be a website that showed using Cargo Containers as the framework for an underground bunker.. it had blueprints for them as well... even had one called "fortress" or "Castle" or some such... had four containers set on their ends at the corners, with containers set normally inside that... the four containers on their ends were the stairwells... i just wish i could find that website. it'd make this so much easier!
Fuck being a hero. Do you know what you get for being a hero? Nothing! You get shot at. You get a little pat on the back, blah blah blah, attaboy! You get divorced... Your wife can't remember your last name, your kids don't want to talk to you... You get to eat a lot of meals by yourself. Trust me kid, nobody wants to be that guy. I do this because there is nobody else to do it right now. Believe me if there was somebody else to do it, I would let them do it. There's not, so I'm doing it.

Last edited by natehale1971; 10-28-2010 at 12:04 PM.