View Single Post
Old 10-28-2010, 01:04 PM

Default The math sucks, doesn't it

[QUOTE=dragoon500ly;26765][QUOTE]Spoke 1 (Food, Personal Demand & Sundry Items): This spoke contains enough food to feed 3000 people for three to six months (depending on rationing), along with enough HCP 1 & 2 to provide for all health and comfort needs of 3000 people for six months.
Quote:

Started to crunch a few numbers and came across a couple of items...Spoke 1 is supposed to provide enough food to support 3,000 people for 3-6 months. Assuming that you provide MREs/HDR style food, that's 1.5kg per person, per day...soooo (evil grin), the daily requirements would by 4,500kg, for 90 days of supply, that's 405,000kg, just in MRE/HDRs, 180 days supply moves up to 810,000kg or 20 standard cargo containers! Assuming that you provide bulk foodstuffs, the requirements get worse, that's 2kg per person per day (6,000kg) with a 180 day supply running or 1,080,000kg; that's 27 standard cargo containers....

Staying with just 8 standard cargo containers, as broken down in your first post, one container (MRE/HDR)would hold 26,667 person-days or a food supply for 148 people for 180 days. Moving to bulk food leaves up with 20,000 person-days or a supply for 111 people for 180 days. You will notice that this is based on max capacity of the container with just food.

Now this is not meant as a flame!!!! I think that you have an intresting solution that is simply not covered in the canon material. Just how can you help the local population when a standard supply cache is a 4'x4' concrete cube, that also has to hold team resupply? It ain't going to happen!

I was in a game a couple of years ago. Based out of rural Kansas as part of a Recon Team. We (two of us) were looking over a very small town (22Survivors). We were about 7 days light travel from our base camp. We stumbled upon a few of the survivors and started to help with food, water, med kits, etc.

Then it dawned on us...we and these people were screwed. My buddy and I each had 7 days of rations in our back pack. We had one ration pack, good for four people for 15 days...

So here comes the math.

In personal rations/mre's/whatever, we started with 84 meals. ((3x14)x2)

We used 42 in our travels to here. ((3x7)x2) (Yes, the GM made us track consumables. PITA but worth the detail once we got ourselves into this mess.)

In the ration pack, we had 180 meals. ((3x15)x4)

Total of 222 meals

So, to feed these people until we could get back to base, and then return.

We needed 924 meals. Just for them. ((22x3)x14)

Even if we rationed to one meal a day. (Better than eating the rats and other little things they HAD been eating.) we needed 308 meals (22x14)

Oh, BTW, you might notice WE are not eating !!!

The TL had a strong sense of duty and honor. He opened a nearby cache, dumped everthing into his V-150, and drove like hell.

He got there in 5 1/2 days.

So we used ((24x1)x6) or 144 meals.

We made it. But no one was happy. But we did save those 22 people.

But the math sucks.