View Single Post
Old 12-04-2008, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Weiser
I'd say a lot of those FDC methods..if not older ones would come back into vogue in the latter parts of the Twilight War..my thinking (based on my wargaming research, not on much reality mind you...so anyone with some reality...PLEASE INTERJECT!) is that WWII and WWI methods (preplanned barrages, rolling barrages etc.) might also see a reappearance. I understand response time isn't just the shell flight time..but the time taken for the fire mission to get to the battalion FDC, the FDC to process the request and assign the fire mission?
This is true. Without computers, the computers in FDC will be back the their manual methods, which take more time than just punching numbers into a computer. But preplanned fire is common. SO you direct from a preplanned know target. It works well in defense, but is more difficult on the offensive and in a fluid battle field even worse.

More on accuracy. IF they don't have good meterological data tables etc, well the computations will be off, and if survey is inaccurate, talking stick and chain here, since the GPS is probably non-operation or off so much as to be worthless. There are a numerous variables. Then you have HUMAN ERROR in doing the math, "Damn Jack you forgot to carry the one!"

(In the good ole days, the first TWO weeks of the eight week Artillery Survey course was Trigonometry. IF you failed the trig block, you were either recycled to do it again OR were reassigned to a less mathematical MOS (got to be a gun bunny). We started the course with 32 in class, by end of course there were 11. And the funny thing is all we had to do is add and subtract because we used logs and tables. AND NO calculators. Think of doing trig for eight hours a day for two weeks! )

Grae