View Single Post
Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 PM

I don't picture the issue being so much waves of starving people as facing the operational impossibilities of being stretched past the breaking point with a dwindling logisitics base. At a certain point, you've either got to face the impossibility of the situation and just write off most or all of your AOR, or face a death of a thousand cuts sort of thing.

Quote:
Actually, that was one big reason the 43rd's decision to pull out never made sense. They were from RI. They have local ties. A unit called up from TX would be more likely to pull out and decide to look after themselves first and &*@% the locals.
Actually a unit of outsiders would have better cohesion in that sort of situation, I think -- operating in close proximity to family and friends (most of whom you couldn't do a damn thing for) would destroy a unit in pretty short order. Desertion would be a huge problem and then divided loyalties and redlined stress and compassion-fatigue would destroy morale among those who didn't run for home. I could see a unit under those circumstances imploding.