View Single Post
Old 02-23-2011, 05:29 PM

I think this is a very good topic to address. I've always been interested in what these worn down armies might look like after 2 years of fighting without much in the way of resupply.

There's a moment in the TV series Jeremiah where our post apocalyptic heroes find a dead enemy soldier and discover, to their horror, that the man is wearing underwear. CLEAN underwear!

The quote is something like "I wasn't scared until I realized that our enemy has the disposable resources to produce a supply of new clean underwear."

A bunch of guys in fresh duds might be a bit intimidating, no matter what their actual combat abilities.

I always sort of assumed that by the summer of 2000 uniforms and boots (my god! BOOTS!!!) would have been repaired and repaired and supplemented with uniforms from other services or even other armies. The Soviet or Warsaw Pact armies may have even adopted the use of red armbands to show their communist loyalty as their uniforms deteriorate and their insignia wear away.

As for real logistical information, I think the best place to look would be at the Weremacht of WWII. There's an institution that was hard pressed to provide ammo, much less uniforms. There might be lessons there we could apply to our alternate history.

A. Scott Glancy, President TCCorp, dba Pagan Publishing